• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2019 2.9l engine.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Quirky basically means its unreliable but you know the secret to making it work... that's what effin quirky is! Like when dad would say go start my truck in the morning. I'd run out and pump the gas 3 times, wait 30 seconds, crank it for 1 second, pump the gas again then start it... that's quirky. Because the damn thing don't work otherwise. And to a person who just wants to jump in and drive, that's unreliable because they dont know how to do that and the damn thing wont start.

Intelligence beats reliability. But reliability isn't measured by intelligence.

Damn that's a good quote for my signature

The Slider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
LOL! Nothing.. I baby my Bronco.. I even refuse to tow anything with it...

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Quirky basically means its unreliable but you know the secret to making it work... that's what effin quirky is! Like when dad would say go start my truck in the morning. I'd run out and pump the gas 3 times, wait 30 seconds, crank it for 1 second, pump the gas again then start it... that's quirky. Because the damn thing don't work otherwise. And to a person who just wants to jump in and drive, that's unreliable because they dont know how to do that and the damn thing wont start.

Intelligence beats reliability. But reliability isn't measured by intelligence.

Damn that's a good quote for my signature
I mean quirky as in you gotta know what to worry about and what not to worry about.

Things that arnt "normal" for other engines are fine with a 2.9, things like ticking lifters and exhaust burning oil off the manifolds.

I go out, hit the key, and it goes vroom vroom, just like any other vehicle.

The Slider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Surprised to hear no one likes Jasper. OK, Well THAT answers that... What about a Summit Racing 2.9l rebuild? Has anyone had any experience with there rebuilds?

Dav

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none but it is a convertible
Tire Size
stock
don't know who the 'good' engine rebuilders are. but i got an ammco trannie done and it was junk. ammco is tied in with global powertrain (or global power systems, something like that) who also do engines. i paid for a 3 year warranty; 4 months later, another trans, a year later, another trans. the day before the 3 years were up, towed to ammco; global said warranty void because odometer didn't work and warranty was only good for 1 year or 30k
as to rebuilding an engine; my local shop said $800 for machining and $400 for parts for a 2.3 lima. jasper wanted $3500 (but they do all the work inc installing
i put a 75 capri 2.8 in a 74 toyota truck-same basic engine. i kept the truck 10 years (3 years of new hampshire winter road salt finally killed it). in that 10 years, the engine was rebuilt twice- the second time 3 months after the first because i hooked up the remote oil filter hoses backwards after fixing something (made it 2 miles before i knew that, by the noise) put about a quarter million miles on the truck (really). so i have no problem with having a 2.9, even though the damn thing has issues
btw; i kept every receipt for that toyota for 10 years in 3 states (tx, ca, & nh) 2 toyota engines, 1 merc engine, rebuilt 2 times. 1 merc trans installed w/ motor, replaced once w/capri trans, later w/mustang trans.3 paint jobs 1 interior swap, i convertible kit (ragtime mini) and 1 hardtop kit, tires, exhaust (bitch finding manifolds to fit into the hi-lux). total came to less, repeat, less than a dollar a day. but that was back a few years, '82 to 92. things were a bit cheaper then

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals