• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Are these oxygen sensors no good?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70R15
Any who, it’s looking like the fuel pump. No kinked fuel lines, everything was hooked up correctly, once the oxygen sensors and the rest of the cats were hooked back up it stopped throwing a code for the oxygen sensors (duh) previous fuel pump had a warranty but I tried to get it across that you get what you pay for. My fuel pump was $250 and hers was over a hundred dollars less. Pressure is still very weak at the shredder valve. I’m not thinking anything like dead fuel injector or a clogged one because it should still have the pressure or be leaking. O2 sensors are $20-$30 not too bad so I was just going to get her fuel pump from the warranty and new oxygen sensors. Nothing else to narrow it down too. After hollowing out the cats her idle was perfect again but it’s still showing it’s running lean and it’s still topping out at 65mph.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Any who, it’s looking like the fuel pump. No kinked fuel lines, everything was hooked up correctly, once the oxygen sensors and the rest of the cats were hooked back up it stopped throwing a code for the oxygen sensors (duh) previous fuel pump had a warranty but I tried to get it across that you get what you pay for. My fuel pump was $250 and hers was over a hundred dollars less. Pressure is still very weak at the shredder valve. I’m not thinking anything like dead fuel injector or a clogged one because it should still have the pressure or be leaking. O2 sensors are $20-$30 not too bad so I was just going to get her fuel pump from the warranty and new oxygen sensors. Nothing else to narrow it down too. After hollowing out the cats her idle was perfect again but it’s still showing it’s running lean and it’s still topping out at 65mph.
I'm assuming you replaced the in tank (low pressure) pump. Could the high pressure (it's on the frame rail, left side, forward of the Drivers' door, IIRC) pump be bad?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'm assuming you replaced the in tank (low pressure) pump. Could the high pressure (it's on the frame rail, left side, forward of the Drivers' door, IIRC) pump be bad?
An 00 won't have that setup. 88 was the last year for the dual pumps on the Rangers, everything after that just has a single high pressure unit in the tank.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
An 00 won't have that setup. 88 was the last year for the dual pumps on the Rangers, everything after that just has a single high pressure unit in the tank.
Oh. I thought that was a common thing (and not just on Rangers) for fuel injected vehicles.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The new fancy direct injection vehicles to have two pumps but kinda rare for regular fuel injected cars.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Oh. I thought that was a common thing (and not just on Rangers) for fuel injected vehicles.
Ford used that system in the late 80s and into the mid 90s on vehicles that had dual fuel tanks as an option. Most cars never had such a setup. The Broncos and B2s had it because they were built off the truck platforms and mimicked their construction.

The new fancy direct injection vehicles to have two pumps but kinda rare for regular fuel injected cars.
Well yes, but that is about where the similarities end. The old system on the Rangers had two electric pumps wired in parallel. The GDI cars have a 35-70 PSI electric pump in the tank feeding a mechanical high pressure unit driven off a cam.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Ford used that system in the late 80s and into the mid 90s on vehicles that had dual fuel tanks as an option. Most cars never had such a setup. The Broncos and B2s had it because they were built off the truck platforms and mimicked their construction.

Well yes, but that is about where the similarities end. The old system on the Rangers had two electric pumps wired in parallel. The GDI cars have a 35-70 PSI electric pump in the tank feeding a mechanical high pressure unit driven off a cam.
How.

Do you remember.

This. Much. Crap?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
How.

Do you remember.

This. Much. Crap?
I am a Ford senior master tech, working at a dealership, specializing in gas engine drivability. Knowing these things is literally my job.

I've also built two 80s RBVs from the ground up mixing the original engine management wiring and fuel systems with later stuff.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70R15
Intank fuel pump was replaced. Her truck works just like it did out the factory. was a combination of clogged cats, fuel pump, and a useless boyfriend.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals