• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

84 bronco II duraspark and carb conversion

Everlearn

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
nice....we'll see how my ebay china deal works......hopefully well or i may be in the market in a week or so...lol stay tuned :)
It’s sitting on the shelf!

mjr46

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
It’s sitting on the shelf!
thanks...i'll let you know how it goes...i hope by saturday i'm at the point to fire it up if all the gaskets from rock auto show up in time before thanksgiving

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I've got a 1.08 from a 78 Mustang that I rebuilt and then didn't use when I found an Offy dual port 4 barrel manifold. Be careful with used 2150's, they'll all bolt on but the 1.21 used on trucks in the late 70's flows 351 cfm and the ones used on 429 2 barrel LTD's and Marquis' flows 500 cfm.

Everlearn

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've got a 1.08 from a 78 Mustang that I rebuilt and then didn't use when I found an Offy dual port 4 barrel manifold. Be careful with used 2150's, they'll all bolt on but the 1.21 used on trucks in the late 70's flows 351 cfm and the ones used on 429 2 barrel LTD's and Marquis' flows 500 cfm.
I’m gonna be knockin soon.....What did you go thru with the Offy setup?

mjr46

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
mine is not used...it is new and got it off ebay and features 1.14 venturis....we'll see how it goes

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
A 1.14 might work OK but I can't believe it's actually new, reman maybe.
The Offy 4 barrel manifold was a bolt on , I had to make a throttle cable bracket, used a 390 Holley, and it worked great. The heads were planed .030, I used the middle of 3 cams that Comp offered but can't remember the specs, ported the heads and used some 1 1/2" headers that we bought from Joe Rodriguez in Washington or Oregon- he sells headers and mount brackets for 2.8 swapped Sunbeam Alpines. I used a the T5 out of my daughter's wrecked 89 Mustang and an 8" rear in a real narrow Currie housing. The car weighed less than 2000 lbs after swapping in the Ford running gear and was a little rocket, if you took off gently in low and rolled into the throttle the secondaries would snap open at 4000 and pin the tach. The people who thing Pinots are fire bombs would be horrified by the Alpine, there was a 7 gallon gas tank in each rear fender protected from rear impact by the tail light lenses and a 2" tube running between them just forward of the thin, flimsy rear bumper. There was a canvas curtain at the front of the trunk between the gas tanks and passenger compartment. It was a fun car to drive but I couldn't sit at a stop sign without watching for trucks in the rear mirror.

mjr46

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
new .......not reman.....trust me i have it on my bench, it's new......ebay:

i've read a few others use this exact carb...in fact a guy on a 85 b2 and bolt on it worked well with minor adjustment..........we shall see, it's a plow only truck, right now on thanksgiving i just redid the exhaust and now working on wiring the duraspark at my kitchen table as i type this.....saturday i'll bolt the intake back on and set dizzy and carb.......hopefully within the week it'll run :)

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
I'm looking forward to seeing you having this conversion completed, and I hope that it gives the old truck a whole new life. Good luck!

mjr46

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm looking forward to seeing you having this conversion completed, and I hope that it gives the old truck a whole new life. Good luck!
it should...the feedback carb was is such poor shape, literally dumping fuel in and fouling plugs and the tfi module sometimes liked to cut out and the timing advance i think was doa, this thing was limping and coughing........i hope it runs 100 percent better as i need it to plow!!

mjr46

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
well, she runs.....and not to bad with the 1.14 venturi set up, revs up nice, timing set and idle mixture is set, i still have to adjust the fast idle....and wire up elec choke.......but i must say she purs like a kitten....1000 times better running and well worth it.......for a cheap china carb 75.00 beans, it seems to work okay....now i've got a few vac leaks to address and work on the throttle linkage a tad before she hits the road for a test drive, so i'll reserve my full review until then....but for now i'm well pleased at the initial result. i hope to get pics when it's all done so you all can see :O)

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
That's good to hear, and thanks for the update. Would love to see some pics, once you have the details squared away and when you have the time.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
The fast idle is set with the choke open and the idle cam on the second step-next to the top one. Try 1500-1800 rpm to start and you can tweak it from there.

mjr46

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
The fast idle is set with the choke open and the idle cam on the second step-next to the top one. Try 1500-1800 rpm to start and you can tweak it from there.
yeah, i did that tonight.......and i still have to hook up the vac advance but it is 90 percent done and i took it out on the road for a spin tonight and man, what a difference she runs better than it has in the last 10 years, it has its pep back in its step!! i'm waiting for a new spacer plate to arrive as mine is warped and creates some vac leaks, not bad, infact i wouldn't have know had i not smoke tested it all prior to start up......total cost for me to upgrade all this included reseal intake manifold, delete egr, new 2150 carb, and complete new duraspark ignition from rock auto and fresh oil change and coolant and a few hoses...total bill is coming to around 500.00.......just to let anyone know who decides to go this route in the future..........for 75.00 bucks the cheap china 2150 new carb on ebay works well and with little tuning....for the most part it's bolt on and tinker a tad, no throttle lag or hesitations and it's advertised as a 1.14 venturi for those who search and find this thread in the future!! :)

mjr46

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
That's good to hear, and thanks for the update. Would love to see some pics, once you have the details squared away and when you have the time.
i'm gonna try and do that this weekend, once i tweak the last few things and hook the plow back up.....she's not a pretty thing, but a very functional plow truck which is all it's used for......heck the nicest part is now all the top part of the motor that i painted up as i installed the new parts.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you think it runs good with the vacuum advance not hooked up you're going to love it once you get that done,too. Thee vacuum port you want to use is under the front of the carb near the mixture screws, it should increase vacuum as you accelerate. If you use manifold vacuum it'll advance at idle and steady cruise but the advance will drop out when you step on it or climb a hill.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals