• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Whos owned a saab made under gm ownership?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I mean, who could like a company who's 200k mile junkyard motors are capable of making near 1200 more hp than factory on a stock bottom end ?
For every pullout LS swap there has to be a GM product somebody decided was worth more dead than alive. :icon_thumby:

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I've worked on too many Saabs to ever buy one. An old guy(probably younger than I am now) used to stop at the gas station I worked ta after high school with his 2 stroke Saab. He get out of the car, toddle around to the right rear and dump a can of oil into the fuel tank, then I'd pump 7 gallons of gas into it and shake the car side to side for him. Then he'd start it up and ring-ding-ding away spewing chin saw fumes. The V4 Saab 96's were pretty easy to change clutches, the Sonnet sports cars had a steel rib running the length of the car but the rest of it was fiberglass, including the lift point that supported the car I was working under. A later model- a 99,I think- used a British Layland engine with the oil pan built into the transmission, it was quite an ordeal to remove the seized up engine without destroying the trans, too. I had to punch holes in the block to unbolt the convertor. The ignition switch was located on the floor where people often spilled drinks into it. Two of my friends had Saabs and bad mouthed GM for buying the company, but if GM didn't buy Saab it would have folded years sooner. I don't understand why it's fashionable to bash American products. Who'd want something built by lazy,stupid American workers like us? Actually, I would.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
For every pullout LS swap there has to be a GM product somebody decided was worth more dead than alive. :icon_thumby:
Thank god for that, that's what keeps these 4 digit hp capable motors costing a mere 250$ haha.

How much does a junkyard coyote cost? And how much power will it make before a failure?

Not snarky questions, genuinely curious.

Like I said before, not really a fan of GM (only person in my GM family to drive a Ford, and they all make fun of me lol) but damn they built a good motor.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thank god for that, that's what keeps these 4 digit hp capable motors costing a mere 250$ haha.

How much does a junkyard coyote cost? And how much power will it make before a failure?

Not snarky questions, genuinely curious.

Like I said before, not really a fan of GM (only person in my GM family to drive a Ford, and they all make fun of me lol) but damn they built a good motor.
Coyote should in theory be cheaper because it won't fit in as many things. :icon_rofl:

2011+ F-150 are too new to hit u-pull-it type JY's around me yet. I did see a 3.5EB once but it was wrecked so hard the engine was broke. It takes a bad wreck to get something that new to not go to the places that pick it apart and sell it piece by piece.

They can make very respectable power though. Dang near worthless to me because I like having heat and steering. I have been walking past 4v 5.4's for years for the same reasons.

Last edited:

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
I lost faith in Government Motor products years ago. The bailout just sealed the deal. The same with Congressional Motor Corporation before they became an foreign auto maker.
I've read a little about Ford being dangerously close to going under, let's hope that's not the case ?

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
I've worked on too many Saabs to ever buy one. An old guy(probably younger than I am now) used to stop at the gas station I worked ta after high school with his 2 stroke Saab. He get out of the car, toddle around to the right rear and dump a can of oil into the fuel tank, then I'd pump 7 gallons of gas into it and shake the car side to side for him. Then he'd start it up and ring-ding-ding away spewing chin saw fumes. The V4 Saab 96's were pretty easy to change clutches, the Sonnet sports cars had a steel rib running the length of the car but the rest of it was fiberglass, including the lift point that supported the car I was working under. A later model- a 99,I think- used a British Layland engine with the oil pan built into the transmission, it was quite an ordeal to remove the seized up engine without destroying the trans, too. I had to punch holes in the block to unbolt the convertor. The ignition switch was located on the floor where people often spilled drinks into it. Two of my friends had Saabs and bad mouthed GM for buying the company, but if GM didn't buy Saab it would have folded years sooner. I don't understand why it's fashionable to bash American products. Who'd want something built by lazy,stupid American workers like us? Actually, I would.

Thanks for the reply, I don't understand what's in the water in Europe that influences ass backwards vehicle engineering but damn lol. Definitely leaning towards selling the one I bought asap

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Yeah, likely that GM product was put in the JY because the electrical gremlins were too much to deal with..

AJ

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I've read a little about Ford being dangerously close to going under, let's hope that's not the case ?
They did take some assistance they had to pay back. I forget the details. Low/no interest loan or something like that. There was also a employee issue with the unions that were raising some concerns.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Did you sell it yet???? Seriously sell it while you can make money. You will regret it if not. As for the GM conversation... The LS motors are good and they are definitely tried and true but do you want to do the same thing everyone else is doing or has already done? I think there is at least one LS/LT engine in something that it wasn't designed for.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
A buddy of mine had a 99 with the Triumph SOHC slant 4 and a manual trans. It even had a freewheel clutch left over from the 2 stroke days. We hated that damn engine! IIRC the head was held on with very long studs on one side and bolts on the other. I think the studs were not perpendicular to the block, but maybe that's wrong. When the end of one broke off it was nearly impossible to get the head off.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Demo derby it. you will get some enjoyment out of it and probably still get the same amount for it after it is said and done.

AJ

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Did you sell it yet???? Seriously sell it while you can make money. You will regret it if not. As for the GM conversation... The LS motors are good and they are definitely tried and true but do you want to do the same thing everyone else is doing or has already done? I think there is at least one LS/LT engine in something that it wasn't designed for.
I'm getting on it lol, I'm at least gonna fix it for a sticker first.

And the Ls certainly isn't the most imaginative swap out there, but it is an extremely practical swap if all your looking for is cheap power. It allows near anyone to make close to or above 1000hp for real cheap money. No need to spend 5k+ on a built motor anymore. All you need is a 250 dollar junkyard pull, a couple hundred bucks in turbo crap, and a tune.

The coyote does sound infinitely better though!

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Demo derby it. you will get some enjoyment out of it and probably still get the same amount for it after it is said and done.

AJ
The fiance has always wanted to derby something.. Mmmm.. Might be worth the brownie points haha.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They did take some assistance they had to pay back. I forget the details. Low/no interest loan or something like that. There was also a employee issue with the unions that were raising some concerns.
They took out a loan against everything down to the blue oval before everybody else went to the govt for $$.

Not saying that is a great way to run a company but they tried to fix it on their own rather than let the ship keep sinking like the other two.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals