• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Someone tell me im wrong.. please

Brian8118

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1990 Ford fkn ranger and from what I'm gathering the oil pan gasket needs some attention bc it's blowing oil out pretty good. I recently had the timing belt replaced bc it decided to give up. This was done by a licensed mechanic and a good guy but the gasket can be damaged in that process which would make blow oil the way it is. From what i understand the only way to replace said gasket is either by pulling the motor or the entire front suspension axel and all.. possible it's the valve cover gaskets but if it's the pan gasket someone please tell me there is a better way.. other than 5 gallons of gas and a match bc this truck is on my last good nerve. It started with the slave cylinder and that dumbass design ford did and it's on thin ice but I like the old shitbox for some reason lol.. someone help me please I need some lol ..

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I don't think removing the front axle helps. The issue is the engine crossmember. Engine has to be lifted quite a ways to get the pan out. Easier to pull it completely than to lift it and hold it 4 or 5 inches higher than it's normal position.

Last edited:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
What engine?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
You should also degrease the engine and see where it's coming from.

Brian8118

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
It's the 2.3 it's all over the transmission it was dripping off the cross member everything from the pan back basically had oil dripping off it just blowing it backwards from the pan. It sat for like 6 months until I changed the slave cylinder and it wasn't doing nothing like that for the 2 years I had had it not to that extent anyway. I got it running again about a week ago and noticed a good bit of oil on ground where I parked at my mom's house for a hour maybe and it was a a good bit of oil only sitting a hour and I looked and its blow all the oil out in under 100 miles since I fixed it the other day. I haven't really took it far

Brian8118

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I don't think removing the front axle helps. The issue is the engine crossmember. Engine has to be lofted quite a ways to get the pan out. Easier to pull it completely than to lift it and hold it 4 or 5 inches higher than it's normal position.
I honestly think it's stupid as shit to have to do either one to change that

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I don't think the oil pan has to be fooled with to do a timing belt.

If the oil is coming from higher up the engine you have to start there. I would also look at the oil pressure switch.

Brian8118

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I kinda thought that also I looked at a quick video on YouTube to get some info in

Brian8118

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I kinda thought that also I looked at a quick video on YouTube to get some info in
On it and start there. I'll look it over tomorrow bc it was dark when I got home but it's def blowing it pretty good .. Google 1990 ranger leaking alot of oil I think is how I put it and it should bring up the same video I watched. It kinda didn't make sense but everything the dude explained his did was to a t what mine is doing and he had also recently replaced the timing belt and in that process the oil pan gasket got damaged and so on and so fourth. The situation seems to be the exact same. Its new to me so looking for the right info for sure . What else would make a engine blow oil out like that

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Bad pcv valve.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

Brian8118

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Bad pcv valve.
Thanks I'll check into it and hope that's it. I replaced the slave cylinder by myself in my driveway. My gravel driveway that is lol sitting on two 6x6 blocks basically and what a pain in the ass it was but I did it and the truck ran pretty good about a year after the timing belt went then probably 6 months after that the transmission granaded itself. I had another transmission already so I tore the old one out put the other in and I had to get a new clutch line and found out it wasn't going to work with rhe the slave I had just put in which the line previous on it snaped in no problem but not the new one so had figure what All that was about and get the right line for rge the right slave and it was a whole big thing. I'm not a professional mechanic by no means but I'm very hard headed and I'll have the whole truck tore apart in the trailer Park until I figure it out

Brian8118

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I don't think the oil pan has to be fooled with to do a timing belt.

If the oil is coming from higher up the engine you have to start there. I would also look at the oil pressure switch.

Brian8118

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Ok appreciate the info and I pray it's not that complicated but since I've worked on this truck myself it wouldn't surprise me if ford designed it to be done that way bc some stuff on the way the truck is built and put together in my opinion is plain stupid

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Believe me, it could be much worse...

It's way more common for the valve cover gasket to leak than the oil pan gasket, and as the valve cover gaskets age they shrink and the bolts get loose, same with the oil pan bolts. Get yourself a 1/4" ratchet, about a foot of extensions and a 8mm or 5/16" socket and go to tightening all the valve cover bolts and oil pan bolts you can see, don't go bonkers, spec is around 5lbft of torque on the bolts. I'm pretty sure it's doable with the engine in the rig by just lifting it as much as you can but I don't think I'd try... There's no way to screw up the oil pan gasket when doing a timing belt unless they messed with the front cover which isn't needed, by the way, tighten those bolts too, they go forward...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals