• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1998 & Newer specific Ranger problems.....

motojcf27

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
Vibration from the rear end at speeds over 65MPH. Actually seems more like a buzzing sensation in your @$$ and in the gear selector. Tires and wheels are new, true and balanced. No one can seem to figure it out. U-joints apear to be in good condition and the bearings are good. If anyone else has this problem let me know.

dallasdryer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Twice I had a problem when i started my ranger it would fire, rev to about 2000 rpm and then die. If I kept my foot on the gas it would run roughly but as soon as my foot came off the gas it died again after removing the key and trying again once or twice it ran fine im not sure if this was a computer problem or a problem with the chip in the key.

Last edited:

jdluikes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
rear end vibration

Vibration from the rear end at speeds over 65MPH. Actually seems more like a buzzing sensation in your @$$ and in the gear selector. Tires and wheels are new, true and balanced. No one can seem to figure it out. U-joints apear to be in good condition and the bearings are good. If anyone else has this problem let me know.

i have had this problem several times with my 99 ranger and i have found that the ring and pinion in the rear end wears out and causes a vibration from the rear end and the cheapest and easiest way i have found to fix it is to install a new rear end in stead of rebuilding it. i hope this helps

wlpetty3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
stupid power steering in mine went out, kinda. plenty of power steering fluid but it will only work if I rev the engine a bit.

Dome/door ajar light.

and tail gate wont latch sometimes, I just keep some wd-40 in the cab and that will fix it for a while.

Legend

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5L EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
My 2003 3.0 Auto had a minor problem with a window that wasn't installed right at the factory. Since then - nothing. Not a problem. Maybe they should be excluded if they don't have any problems?
Oh wait, after 5 years I think my battery is getting a little soft and will need to be replaced before winter sets in - so we better keep them in the file.

warhawk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I've had 3 problems.

PVH hubs; Easy fix, either lock them or buy the AVM hubs.
Drive shaft clunk; haven't fixed it yet.
IAC valve noise; I just replaced the valve works great now.

coffee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2005 XL 3.0 5 Speed

I had 2 rearend rebuilds before 50,000 miles and need another one.
I have a K&N FIPK and keep getting PO171 and PO174 error codes

SawyerRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
plugs + wiring at about 50,000 miles. Not sure if this is 99 specific or just regular maintenance tho

Daniel_187

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Airbag light, Door ajar light, some sensor for emmissons went out

prefab08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
drive shaft clunk- i drilled the slip yoke and put a grease fitting in just give it a fue shots when i do a service on the truck every 3000 miles hasent came back and it has 190000 miles now.

belend door @#*$&# pissed me right off , fixed it with crazy glue but it took taking the whole fing thing apart but it seems to be holding up.

door switches for the dome light im on my 3 set add im going to get rid of the dome lignt if i have to do them again or swich to the chev style on the sunfire , the seem to be well sealed and cheep from my local parts store.

door window crank vibration- i took it apart and put greased up o-rings inbetween the plasticrub ring and the knob its self.

as for the 4/4 i havent had any problems i just got my 2008 6 months ago and all is well but i have big plans so far i hav ethe new sterio and subs , magaflow cat back, i am waiting till spring for the 4 inch super lift and 33's so il probly be braking sum stuff soon :icon_welder: then i get to make it better

02RangerMan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
DPFE sensor! Once every 6 months it takes a crap. Inexpensive part and has a 2 year warranty from autozone so i've only paid for one. Still annoying I belive the code is P1501 could be wrong on that.

Viva*the*Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Dash lights

My dash lights seem to drop like flys. Not all of them at once, just over here and over there. Tranny shifts funny sometimes and still don't know why.

sgtcheesy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I finally got off my butt and checked out the door ajar/dome light problem on the site and WD-40 and canned air in the door latch fixed it....thanks!!!!

woodyedmiston

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
-Power steering pumps seem to always be noisey
-IAC valves have a tendancy to make a humming sound
-typical driveshaft thud/clunk when starting to accelerate and when coming to a stop.
Dittos on the above:

An overall discussion of the camshaft position sensor;
cooling system problems, the plastic heater valve, and a general discussion of diagnosing cracked heads.

Captain Caveman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ditto on the slave clutch on my '06. They "repaired" it five times and never got it right.

My '07 had horrible brake squealing until I made them put ceramics on the front. Those didn't fix it either until they put new rotors in.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals