• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by andyh13

1. '85 Ranger 4x4 Explorer 8.8 Axle Swap

Thanks for the input guys!
  2. '85 Ranger 4x4 Explorer 8.8 Axle Swap

Hello guys, I see that the 8.8 axle for the '95-'03 explorer fits rangers. Does this include the '85 model year? Most people I see asking the question have '88+. This would be very convenient, since I have also been considering a disc brake conversion. Thanks!
  3. '85 4x4 leaf springs replacement

Any thoughts on those rivets? I worry my 18v cordless will not be enough to drill them out (and that would probably necessitate taking the bed off).
  4. '85 4x4 leaf springs replacement

Thank you for the heads up! That web site, SDTruckSprings, does have a leaf spring for the '83 - '85. Comparing the two, they are very similar other than the '86 - '03 having a 6" arch and 11/2" thickness, while the '83 - '85 have 4 5/8" arch and 1 9/16" thickness (as well as +100 lb load...
  5. '85 4x4 leaf springs replacement

Thank you for the suggestions! The link you posted lists '86 as the earliest year the springs will fit. Do you think it will fit the '85 as well? When you say Detroit, do you mean Eaton Detroit Spring (sorry if it's a dumb question, I'm obviously not very knowledgeable about the stuff). Eaton...
  6. '85 4x4 leaf springs replacement

Hey guys, I am working on replacing the leaf springs on my '85 ranger. When I purchased the truck, I knew this needed to be done. The previous owner gave me a couple leaf springs he claimed came from a ford explorer. They look like they could probably fit, but I am not 100% certain if the stock...
  7. 85 2.8 Idling too high

Thanks for the input, litleblue, I will try some of this out tonight. I recovered from my self-disgust and reset the carb mixture screws to 3 turns. The truck started up pretty easily. I posted a while back in another thread about some weird parts that had been partially removed from the...
  8. 85 Ranger Exhaust Part Identification

I haven't done much with the truck recently, but I was having a conversation the other day with a person who has worked on cars much longer than I have, and this person claimed that lack of backpressure could cause a carb to run lean. I had not previously considered this. Do you think there's...
  9. 85 Ranger Exhaust Part Identification

Is there anything I need to do to that piece of the secondary air injection system to make the engine run properly? Or will it only affect the operation of the cat?
  10. 85 2.8 Idling too high

I found an unplugged vacuum port beneath the carburetor. It was pretty hard to find before I saw smoke coming out of it, but I feel pretty stupid for having missed it. Plugging the port caused the engine to run quieter, but didn't increase the vacuum reading on my cheap gauge. What's more...
  11. 85 2.8 Idling too high

Here's a video of me blowing smoke up the PCV line. I only notice this after checking the video, but it looks like there's a lot of smoke coming from behind the carb. I will investigate further tomorrow. Does anyone have an idea what this could be? I don't think it's the vacuum tree, and I...
  12. 85 2.8 Idling too high

I forgot to mention, I might also try blowing smoke into the vacuum port tree coming off the carb (just with a cheap cigar, I don't have a machine). Does anyone know if this would help find a leak in the intake manifold? Or is low pressure smoke not going to travel that far? Thanks for any...
  13. 85 2.8 Idling too high

My '85 ranger was converted to duraspark/HEI by the previous owner, who also swapped out the feedback carb for a 2150. I have been having a lot of trouble getting the truck to idle "nicely". It seems way too loud and fast, but screwing out the curb idle screw doesn't seem to be lowering the...
  14. 85 Ranger Exhaust Part Identification

Hello, I have inherited an '85 Ranger with a 2.8 V6. It has been modified to replace the original feedback carb with a 2150 (it looks like this one is for an automatic transmission, but the truck is a manual). The ignition has also been switched over to HEI. I am not very mechanically...
  15. Confirmation on new carburetor for durasparked '85

Hello, Let me preface this all by saying I am not a smart man, and I know even less about trucks. I got a durasparked (by the previous owner) 5-speed 4x4 '85 Ranger with little rust and low miles off craigslist, and have been reading this forum for a while now. The truck never ran that great...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad