• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by coopab

1. speedometer failure and ABS sensors

First off, I read the Jim Oaks' sticky thread. Problem - "The speedometer in my 1999 Ranger fluctuates or doesn't work until I hit 30MPH. What's wrong? I just finished replacing BOTH front hub/bearing assemblies with non-ABS and after replacing the driver's side I took a short test ride and...
  2. 1999 Rangers 4wd hubs/bearings

deleted
  3. coolant contaminated with oil (UPDATED)

This is a link to what I posted back in September. I followed the steps outlined and when I took it for a test drive after I had a massive coolant leak. See pictures. Here's a still taken from a video with a river of coolant flowing Second picture is the two coolant ports in the intake...
  4. coolant contaimnated with ATF

A week or so ago I overheated and upon examination of overflow tank I have a "strawberry milkshake" in my cooling system. I'm aware that the cause is a leak in the transmission cooling circuit inside my radiator. I'm looking for recommended solutions. Here's my first impressions. Add a...
  5. 99 XLT 4X4 not working

I've been stuck in 2WD long enough but researching possible/probable causes of no 4x4 is frustrating. I want to check fuses first but my owner's manual doesn't list anything mentioning 4wd various threads mention 1,2, or 3 fuses. What does my truck have? various threads place 4X4 control...
  6. Anti Theft or Neutral Safety Switch or both

Solved For a couple of weeks I've been unable to start my 99 4.0 XLT automatic transmission when in Park. In fact it seems that the linkage is not allowing it to shift fully into Park. However, I have been able to start it reliably by putting it in Neutral to start. If I jam it into Park it...
  7. fuel tank size 99 Ranger XLT 4x4 Supercab

My owner's manual says my truck has a 19.5 gallon tank. My fuel gauge appears to be working OK yet when it gets down to the "E" and I fill up the most fuel I can get in there is 13-14 gallons. I can't imagine a 5+ gallon "reserve" so does anyone have an explanation for this oddity? Coopab
  8. timing chain guides

I'm in the middle of reassembling my 4.0 OHV with new heads and before I put it all back together I want to replace the timing chain guides. I bought a set including a timing chain and guides, but don't want to unnecessarily change the valve timing (Up to this point the engine is in exactly the...
  9. Parts source

Still searching for an affordable solution to replace both heads on my '99 Ranger with OHV 4.0L. Came across a web site called headsonly.com aka Cylinder Heads International For a rebuilt head they want $175 and they cover the shipping to return the old heads. Aside from the $100 + difference...
  10. 99 Ranger both heads shot

I've just been informed that both of the heads from my 99 Ranger 4.0 are toast. I've already spent more than I had hoped for to do a 'band-aid' type repair and now it looks like I'm several hundred dollars from finishing the application of the band-aid. If the heads have multiple cracks is...
  11. Plan your work and work your plan

That's exactly what I didn't do when I started my water pump replacement job. (Fan Clutch Removal 4.0 thread). I'm doing head gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, valve seals, timing chain and guides, but before I can do most of this I need to evacuate the R134 from the A/C. I read on a Nissan...
  12. Fan Clutch Removal 4.0L

I've had to search three Ford/Ranger related forums on this subject and found much misleading information, some completely wrong, other suggestions merely misguided (IMHO). My 1999 Ranger with 4.0 has the following molded into the plastic of the fan shroud. "4.0L-RH THREAD ON FAN CLUTCH". That...
  13. ELM327 based scan tools USB and BT

I purchased A USB version, shortly before i got my first Android smartphone. I have used it with a couple of different Windows scantool apps which were OK. Shortly thereafter I got a Bluetooth ELM327 and downloaded Torque Pro software from the Android Market. I've been very happy with it for the...
  14. dash gauge temp sensor

I've been having erratic readings on dash gauge. I pulled the connector and grounded the single wire. When I turned the key to "On" the gauge pegged on H. Decided to replace the sensor. Why does this sensor have a two prong connection, although only one wire is being used? The old sensor had...
  15. step by step 4.0 engine removal guide

I'm trying to find a good donor motor for my 99 Ranger. Carparts.com lets you search regionally. I'd like to get a motor with 100K miles or less but not spend a fortune. Craigslist I found a yard with three possible motors ranging between $750 and $1400 and varying mileage between 25K and 135K...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad