• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by cstarbard

1. 2.3L ('83-'97) Persistent P0125

Hi Ron- thanks as always! So, I don't recall if I used a 195 degree thermostat. What I can say is, after replacing the thermostat, I had 1-2 years afterward without any apparent issues from the ECT or the P0125. The code just appeared one winter day, I noticed the sensor was broken, and after...
  2. 2.3L ('83-'97) Persistent P0125

Hi guys, My truck set a P0125 on a really cold day. I cleared it figuring it was a fluke. It came back, and I noticed that the plastic body of the coolant temp sensor was physically broken. I put a new sensor in, and the code came back again. I noticed that the wires for the coolant temp sensor...
  3. 2.3L ('83-'97) Bucking under load, no power, poor MPG

Hey! I did not change the TPS. I found a writeup about how to test its output with a digital multimeter. It was pretty straightforward and mine tested fine. Is that a guarantee that it's not part of the issue? Probably not, but at least in my case it was not a cause of the bucking. Test write...
  4. 2.3L ('83-'97) Bucking under load, no power, poor MPG

BrHotte I totally feel that. I hope it fixes it for you. So, I took a 80 mile highway drive today with my empty 5x8 utility trailer. Two things stuck out: It ran fine but struggled to get past 50 going up even light hills, and I calculated 21.33 mpg for the trip. I have had the truck long...
  5. 2.3L ('83-'97) Bucking under load, no power, poor MPG

Hi Ron, Awesome, thanks for all that info! I will use it to try to find an appropriate PCM. If my truck is build date 1995, model year 1996, should I still be avoiding a 1995 pcm? UPDATE: I replaced the cam sensor and its connector. I drove 50 miles or so after only changing the cam sensor...
  6. 2.3L ('83-'97) Bucking under load, no power, poor MPG

I got a new NAPA fuel pump and new NAPA injectors, as well as a new Denso camshaft sensor + pigtail. My plan this weekend is to replace the cam sensor and pig tail, and see what difference that makes, if any. Then, I will replace the fuel pump and see what difference that makes, if any...
  7. 2.3L ('83-'97) Bucking under load, no power, poor MPG

I have already checked vacuum and vacuum lines several times as well and I can't find any evidence of vacuum leaks.
  8. 2.3L ('83-'97) Bucking under load, no power, poor MPG

Thanks Paulos. I have tested the injectors crudely in the truck by unplugging them one at a time while running, and verified proper power going to each. I will be looking into them more thoroughly at some point. As an update: RonD, I tested for AC ripple with a digital multimeter and that does...
  9. 2.3L ('83-'97) 97 2.3 5 speed lurches when taking off in gear and when under load

On my 94 2.3, The IACV used to get stuck open, and the truck would cruise ahead without my foot on the pedal. It was obnoxious. It would even sometimes accelerate when this happened. A build up of carbon in the IACV would create friction or something and prevent the little valve from closing. I...
  10. 2.3L ('83-'97) Bucking under load, no power, poor MPG

I had heard this before, glad to have you reinforce it. I'll be curious if it goes away now that its warming up outside.
  11. 2.3L ('83-'97) Bucking under load, no power, poor MPG

As always Ron you are an invaluable wealth of information. I will look into this. I think I have a spare new alternator somewhere too... I also recently got a P0125 code. Do you think that's related in any way? It was like -10 deg F the day I got that P0125 so I wondered if that could have...
  12. 2.3L ('83-'97) Bucking under load, no power, poor MPG

Well guys, I'm back. So, like the last post said... unplugging and replugging the cam position sensor a few times made a huge difference. It was all good and fine for over a month but yesterday the truck was back to bucking the same way as ever, with the same force. This leads me to think...
  13. 2.3L ('83-'97) Bucking under load, no power, poor MPG

Hey everyone, Sorry I disappeared for a while, life got real busy. BrHotte, I do not have the specific starting issue you describe. However, if I stall my truck it cranks abnormally long before starting and is sputtery at first- but that happens ONLY if I stall it. If I shut it off normally and...
  14. 2.3L ('83-'97) Bucking under load, no power, poor MPG

Hey BR what do you mean exactly about the starter? I'm not sure I understand. I have 10 days off from work so I'm going to take the timing cover off and have a look. I'll report back with my findings
  15. 2.3L ('83-'97) Bucking under load, no power, poor MPG

So I drove my truck to work again today and decided to keep the scanner plugged in the whole way home so I could read the live data. Specifically, I wanted to watch the upstream 02 sensor to see if we could identify it possibly reporting a false lean based on its behavior. Here's what I...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad