• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by Effieman

1. Hanging idle

So my 98 with the 4.0L was having issues where the idle would stay elevated for a few seconds before going to a normal idle. It would hang around 1500 for 2 or 3 seconds. I took off the inlet hose and shot a whole can of throttle body cleaner in it, making sure I got all the pivot points real...
  2. 2006 Ranger no start

Wasn't paying attention and posted this in another section.... Is there a way I can remove that post? My friend's 06 Ranger 4.0 auto wouldn't start the other day. He claimed it had done that before and it was the crankshaft position sensor, according to the shop he took it to. Had it towed back...
  3. 2006 Ranger no start

My friend's 06 Ranger 4.0 auto wouldn't start the other day. He claimed it had done that before and it was the crankshaft position sensor, according to the shop he took it to. Had it towed back to his place and we replaced the sensor, still no start. It would start/run if we kept spraying...
  4. Got my 4wd system fixed!, Blinking 4hi & 4lo

Looks like it's been a while since somebody posted here, but.... On the way home this morning, on the freeway (@70 mph) just before the rain stopped (if that can matter), the 4x4 high and 4x4 low lights on my 98 started doing the 6 flashes thing. Couldn't hear if the relays were trying to do...
  5. Key fobs stopped working

RonD: When it originally stopped working I checked all the fuses. Also just checked again, as I didn't know exactly which fuse, just figured it would be 10 amp or smaller. I also tried reprogramming the fobs since the one I used was an aftermarket one, but none of the 4 would work...The doors do...
  6. Head gasket sealers

A while back my radiator hose slipped off and an overheated engine blew the head gasket. I used some band-aid in a bottle (Bar's leak #1111) to fix it. No more gasses in the coolant..... Anybody ever have any long term luck with these sealers? The truck is a manual, and rarely sees over 3K rpm...
  7. Key fobs stopped working

Came out to my 98 Ranger a while back and the fob wouldn't unlock the doors. After getting some WD-40 in the door lock, I was able to use the key to open the door, but the alarm went off. Got home, tried my other 3 fobs and none worked. Can't believe all 4 batteries would have died the same day...
  8. Rear end clanking...

sgtsandman: I have the manual transmission. I bought the truck in January of 1998 with 12 miles on it. It now has 329K. I originally thought it was the U-joint because it made the same clunk as when they did go bad. I recently was driving with the windows rolled down, and I thought I had a rod...
  9. Rear end clanking...

Had rear end noise in my 98 4X4. U joints seemed fine, but I thought there was a lot of slop in the driveshaft rotation. When jacked up it would clank around 3 or 4 times per tire revolution (3.73 gear). Any way to narrow down what may be wrong without tearing anything apart? It is also limited...
  10. Sticking rear brakes

After having a shop do the rear brakes on my 98 Ranger, my parking brake started sticking. I could rev up to about 3K, dump the clutch and usually they would let go. But then the brakes would be real grabby on the first use, upon leaving the parking lot. Took it back to the shop and they asked...
  11. Intermittent 4X4 .... again

Shadowrider6661: I don't know what you mean about the contact on the shift motor. Are you talking about inside the motor, or the mounting surface of the motor? I haven't looked at the wire running into the transfer case or the plug yet...maybe if it ever warms up and quits snowing/raining.
  12. Intermittent 4X4 .... again

Broosedamoose: Yes, they are the vacuum hubs. I figured when they go 4X4 would never work again, so I've never looked into that possibility.
  13. Intermittent 4X4 .... again

I tried (about 5 times) to shift my 98 into 4X4 the other day. When I turned the switch, the 4X4 light would come on and immediately go off, or blink several times (forgot to count), then go out. The next time I switched it into 4X4 before starting it and it worked, or at least the light stayed...
  14. Lean codes.....temp sensor?

Thanks for the info so far. After reading your replies, forgot to mention the rest...... I did clean the MAF (seemed correct before cleaning too), couldn't find any air leaks on intake or exhaust. Fuel pressure with 'key on' is 30 psi, running is 60, dropping only slightly when revved quickly...
  15. Lean codes.....temp sensor?

Got the old P0174 code along with P0171 pending code on my 98 4.0 again. LTFT both stay around 25 with STFT at +/- 10 while at idle and at freeway speeds. MAF seems correct @ 3.9 g/s at idle. O2s seem normal. The only thing that seems to be off is the intake air temp, was at 109F when engine...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad