• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by frankj

1. 98 Ranger 4 wheel drive steering wheel play

GW33GP- When I had the truck in for alignment after installing the second (new) rack and pinion, had there been a problem with any of the suspension components the shop would have alerted me. He even noted the play in the steering wheel on the invoice. I really think I found the problem, see...
  2. 98 Ranger 4 wheel drive steering wheel play

I think I found the problem. And I think it was my error. I separated the shafts just now and going through the firewall there was no movement/play, going down to the rack and pinion was where the play was. I had replaced the rack back in February when I discovered it leaking. After I took...
  3. 98 Ranger 4 wheel drive steering wheel play

Thanks. I hadn't thought to separate the joints, and that's a fairly easy check. The play I see exists between the where the steering column connects to the rack and pinion and the steering wheel. Just using a thumb and forefinger, with the wheels on the ground, you can rotate the steering...
  4. 98 Ranger 4 wheel drive steering wheel play

Thanks. #15 being a 'big rubber boot' isn't what I wanted to hear; I wanted it to house a stout bearing so I could replace it and my problems would go away. I've replaced the lower shaft, that was my first move to eliminate the play. My extra simple logic said: that's where the play seems to...
  5. 98 Ranger 4 wheel drive steering wheel play

Thanks for the replies. Mine is 4 wheel drive and has the big factory wheels and 265x75x15" tires. That could have contributed to the wear. Everything I've read suggest that larger tires cause greater wear to steering components. I've also used it in the wilderness, which is why I bought it...
  6. 98 Ranger 4 wheel drive steering wheel play

Over the last several years I replaced the ball joints, outer tie rod ends and the steering rack. Now, with 230,000 miles I have play in the steering wheel. I assumed it was the lower shaft of the steering column and replaced it with a OEM part. It didn't help at all. You can grab the...
  7. No steering feel with new rack

My factory rack went bad on my 98 Ranger at ~185,000 miles. I replaced it with a remanufactured rack, Vision OE that I bought at Merle's Auto (now NAPA). It lasted about 20,000 miles and it started leaking. I replaced it with a new rack from TRQ. All the racks had a different feel, the TRQ is...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad