• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by Gypsy Freedom

1. 2.3L ('83-'97) Stuck on side of road. Crank no start, has spark?

I dont know everything, or i wouldnt be here looking for input. Thank you for your useful and on topic comentary... I do know how to test for spark, compression and fuel. I tried to simply explain in my first post that i had good spark and compression and things pointed to a lack of fuel. This...
  2. 2.3L ('83-'97) Stuck on side of road. Crank no start, has spark?

Heard of it plenty. Also seen plenty of damage from it. Both internal damage to pistons, rings, head gasgets and such. Also external, from intake components blown out from a back fire through intack and fire. Not a big fan of it. I personally wont use it. No need for it. Sure, ive used it/seen...
  3. 2.3L ('83-'97) Stuck on side of road. Crank no start, has spark?

No simple and SAFE way to introduce fuel into the horizontal throttle body with the tools n time at my disposal. The idea of catching on fire is bad enough. But we are in red flag warnings and with where i was, no doubt a car fire would have spread to the brush. Then with my house only 2-3 miles...
  4. 2.3L ('83-'97) Stuck on side of road. Crank no start, has spark?

Pump pumps, but pressure is quite low. Is there easy in vehicle test to determine if it is the pump just not putting out. Or if it is a failed fuel pressure regulator?
  5. 2.3L ('83-'97) Stuck on side of road. Crank no start, has spark?

Current status. 85 fuel injected 2.3 lima ranger 5 speed 4x4 Cranks nice "sounds like" has compression. Timing belt intact. Nice rythmic spark Suspect "fuel" issue. Just came home for some tools. Headed back shortly, open to suggestion on where to look first This is what happened to get...
  6. First Gen 85 ranger warning lights to gauges cluster swap?

Yes, very familiar with ammeters and shunts. Ive hacked the shunts in cheap digital meters to increase capacity and work with lots of shunts via the solar work i dabble in. I had thought about just putting the meter wires on the alt wire like you suggested. Was just hoping to find a baseline...
  7. First Gen 85 ranger warning lights to gauges cluster swap?

Yes, thank you for the input. I am still plugging away at this. I live way out in the stix with horrible connectivity and with everyone bored at home with the virus the network is overloaded even worse... lol I found out the hardway on the charging being different. Ended up having to...
  8. First Gen 85 ranger warning lights to gauges cluster swap?

So i traced and digitally marked the back of the original so i knew what pin/wire went to each component in the cluster Then i plotted the pinout of the original 14 pin plug Then i mapped the wires to the new plug based on what wire/pin went to the same component in the new cluster Then...
  9. First Gen 85 ranger warning lights to gauges cluster swap?

Well i got a little deeper in attempting this upgrade. Unfortunately, not only is the pin out different. It is not even the same plug. The green one is the original with warning lights, while the yellow is the hoped for upgrade. The plug is longer by 2 pins. Not sure where i am going to go with...
  10. 1988 XLT 4x4 2.3L

Ok, that makes more sense. I didnt think the 2.3 lima could make that much with a stock turbo. I know the rating system changed but my 85 with the 2.3 is rated at 29 hwy. Will be interesting to see if i can muster that much.
  11. 1988 XLT 4x4 2.3L

Are you saying the turbo 2.3 SOHC is in the realm of double the hp and gets a couple more mpg? Or is this the DOHC 2.3 you are refering to?
  12. First Gen 85 ranger warning lights to gauges cluster swap?

No, no tach involved on either. I read that linked thread the other day but this is different. That thread was an upgrade to a newer cluster with tach that was not available on the truck. In my case i am sawping to a cluster that was available on the truck same year. My truck is fuel gauge and...
  13. First Gen 85 ranger warning lights to gauges cluster swap?

Ok, so my new first gen 1985 ranger has a intrument cluster with just the warning (idiot) lights. When i was in the junk yard today i snagged an instument cluster from a same year ranger that is gauges. It looks to be a direct bolt in. I am wondering what else needs to be done. Can it be as...
  14. New from Oregon

What part of Oregon do you hail from? I spend alot of time in the southwest corner
  15. New "from" oregon, but in colorado

In progress...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad