• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by Hitchner2009

1. Class 3 Tow Hitch

Hey guys, was wondering if any of you knew what a class 3 tow hitch for my 1987 ford ranger with dual tanks looks like, getting ready to go to the wrecking yard to yank one of a old truck. Just wanted to make sure having dual tanks wouldn't affect anything. Could i use a tow hitch from a ranger...
  2. Equus Fuel Gauge Bouncing

So I installed an aftermarket $30 equus fuel gauge on my 87 ranger. Works great aside from the fact that it jumps all over the place when the vehicle hits bumps,etc. As the fuel sloshes around it causes it to jump. I have no idea how to fix this. My factory gauge failed, and they dont make...
  3. Dual Tanks after 4.0 Swap

So another good question, I had dual tanks on my 87 2.9 before i swapped the 4.0 into it. Has anybody figured out a way to wire in the dual tanks with the 4.0 harness? I have looked over the schematic but its a little difficult to read, i cant find a D&O anywhere for the tanks, otherwise i...
  4. 4.0 Front Crank Seal Replacement

Alright guys, so my Front Crank Seal is leaking pretty profusely, i installed a new one when i swapped the motor out, but i must have not installed it correctly because it was leaking only a couple thousand miles after install. I have read that there is a Front Cover Seal Installer for this job...
  5. FM-145 Shifter Sloppy

Hey guys, so my shifter for my Fm145 is sloppy, the shifter acts likes its in neutral even when in gear, and what I mean is I can shake it around back and forth in gear and it moves alot instead of being tight. Any idea as to what causes that? I swear I read somewhere about there being a bearing...
  6. Towing Uhaul Cross-Country

Hey guys, I have a 1987 Ford Ranger with the 4.0 OHV Swap done to it a few years back. Truck drives like a dream. I have the stock FM145 manual transmission behind it, just rebuilt it not 10k miles ago. And never romped on it with the 4.0. Everything else is stock that came with the 87 2.9 4x4...
  7. 1987 Ranger Rear Axle Upgrade

So im looking at swapping in a 8.8 rear axle on the old ranger. Which rear axles will be a straight pull the old one and bolt the new one right in place. I have the 4.0 installed on my truck, now looking for some better traction and power for offroading purposes and everyday driving. I want a...
  8. 4.0 coolant temp wires

Anybody know what the wire colors are for the coolant temperature on the 4.0 swap from a 2.9? I think my schematic says there a gray/black wire on the 4.0 harness and a black/white on the 2.9. Just wanted to make sure I'm reading this right.
  9. Gear Oil Smell after Transmission Service

Hey guys, i have a 1987 Ford Ranger 4x4 FM145 Transmission that has been freshly rebuilt, and every time i change the gear oil in the transmission, i smell a heavy gear oil smell from outside of the truck after driving and sometimes in the cab. Now i make sure that i clean up all traces of...
  10. 4x4 Doesnt Work after 2.9 to 4.0 Swap

Hey guys so my 4x4 doesnt work after i swapped in the 4.0 from a 2.9. I have a 1987 Ford Ranger 4x4 with supercab, the engine harness and computer came from a 1992 Ford Ranger 4x4 4.0 supercab. I was told that the Transfer Case is on a system of its own and should have stayed working, well when...
  11. How to Install Check Engine Light?

Hey guys so i have heard that you need to install a check engine light for the 4.0, well i havent done this yet and i would like to have that addition so i can pull codes if need be. Im not too sure as to how to do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  12. 4x4 doesnt work after swap

hey guys so i looked at the schematic and my 4x4 doesnt work anymore now that i have finished with my 4.0. The schematic says its a LT BLU wire and a LT BLU/BLK wire for the 4x4, well i spliced those and nothing works. Help???
  13. 4.0 not charging after swap

My 4.0 isn't charging after I got everything installed. I haven't tested the wires yet due to me being at work for now. But are there any wires on the drivers firewall that I need to splice for it?? Truck has 12.11v when running and battery has 12.67v at rest with truck off. I'm wondering if I...
  14. 1987 Ranger 2.9 to 1992 Ranger 4.0 Build

Hey guys so im going to post my pictures and everything along with details for the swap seeing as nobody has made a very detailed swap thread. This will help to clarify others as well to help with there conversion. As i was lost and spent countless hours looking for ways to convert this thing...
  15. 4.0 Wont Start After Conversion

So i am almost finished with my 4.0 swap from the rugged old ticking 2.9. I got the engine in the engine bay and everything else. Routed the harness, made some splices went to fire her up and she just cranks over and over. I have both fuel pumps turning on with the key in the on position, fuel...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad