• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by mooty

1. Recently swapped gauge cluster, speedometer inconsistent.

I recently swapped my gauge cluster on my 99 auto so I could view a tach. However, while trying to GPS calibrate my speedometer, I found I was 5 slower than the GPS reading at higher speeds. Thinking of swapping the old speedometer in, any thoughts? Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
  2. Is it possible to swap in a tach gauge cluster?

Was looking into adding a tach to my 4.0/auto and wondered if it was possible to swap in a gauge cluster with the tach on it. Would perhaps the odometer be a problem? Or computer hook up? Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
  3. Ideas for prolonging the life of a high mileage 5R55E

My 99 4.0 is coming up on 120k mileage and concern has set in for my 5R55E. I know these transmissions are not bulletproof and Ford advertised a 100k mile service warranty which is absolute bullpoop. Last year I dropped the pan and replaced the filter with a Wix kit. It seems to mostly behave...
  4. 99 ranger, looking to upgrade front brakes

I've got a '99 ford ranger xlt rwd. The stock brakes are adequate but I've been pondering a brake upgrade via better rotors(slotted/vented/drilled) and/or perhaps bigger calipers with larger pads. I'm guessing a lot of folks have looked into this and I'm wondering if perhaps similarly aged v8...
  5. 99 Ranger front-end clunk

Initially this would only arise when the truck was warmed up but is now ever present. It's a constant "clunking" sound that seems to occur regardless of driving conditions, speed or quality of road. It seems to be only present on the front driver side. There are no loose body panels, parts or...
  6. Replacing 17 year old plastic radiator

I've finally given up putting bandaids on the stock radiator and bought a replacement. I was curious what you all thought of all aluminum vs the stock plastic/aluminum core design. Also, any thoughts on which hoses and fittings I should bother to replace?
  7. 98-00 ranger, gap between bumper and fenders/lights/grille

I recently had a fender bender and wound up having to replace the bumper. I was able to get about a 3/4 to an inch gap and have seen some front ends this way but I have also seen some bumpers high enough where getting to the marker light screws is a tight fit. Any recommedation for this?
  8. Airbag reset

Due to some awful shifts at work and bad judgment on my part I had a fender bender that deployed the airbag system. As I'm sure many of you know, resetting the airbags is an expensive hassle. I bought some reasonably good looking airbags from a wrecking yard as well as an RCM. Although I've...
  9. Driver side caliper noise and uneven wear

Since I bought the truck a few years ago I noticed that the front brakes made a rubbing type noise(not quite a "squeal", more like a chair dragging on a hard floor). Finally I started to hear a grind so I opted to change my pads. When I took the driver side caliper apart I saw metal to metal...
  10. Good mid-range, general purpose shocks?

I have a RWD '99 XLT supercab and I'm mostly convinced I have front and rear shocks that are original equipment at the 100K mile mark. I plan to replace them soon and was looking for advice finding average shocks that won't break the bank. Also, how hard is it to swap out shocks, is it...
  11. runs rough in cold weather after stopping and restarting engine

Truck starts, warms up and runs fine in cold weather. After switching truck off and restarting, idles rough.. wants to die. Any thoughts on this?
  12. Alternator B+ not reaching battery

Recently had a battery or alternator dilemma, battery charges fine but alternator failed bench test at parts store. However it was delivering some charge, just very inadequate. I suspected that the battery was not charging at all due to the way voltage dropped on a multimeter but neglected...
  13. 80s ranger models, 4x4 capability

I've been tossing around the idea of cleaning up an 80s 4x4 ranger and curious how well they handle. Now I won't be doing any extreme offroading. Mainly I want something that can handle snow as well as some rugged, poorly maintained logging roads/forest routes relatively well. If they're...
  14. Installing a fuel pump cutoff switch

I took your advice and found the fuel pump relay ground lead coming out of the power distribution box and to the PCM. Conveniently, this is one of the outer most wires in the section where the wire bundle feeds the box. The FP relay sits right above the bundle and the wire is blue with orange...
  15. Installing a fuel pump cutoff switch

I was looking to add a little security to my ranger by installing a fuel pump cut-off switch. I have very easy access to inertia switch leads and I am told green/yellow comes from the computer controlled FP relay. I'm just curious if this is a safe place to install a toggle switch?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad