Recent content by RangerJoey

1. RangerJoey

Oh Snap - The Magic Yoo-Hoo Machine: Brown Coolant

Who likes to drag projects out? THIS GUY! Random question: When I pulled the water pump, there were two hoses. The one goes to the lower radiator connection. Cool. Cool. But the other one - smaller in diameter - goes somewhere else. I can't see, but I suspect it's going to the engine...
  2. RangerJoey

Idiot! I was turning it wrong. Got it off with no problem now. Water pump is already off and now just need to track down a gasket. Thought one was included with the motorcraft pump. Oh well. Thanks!
  3. RangerJoey

Thank you! And seriously dense, but that's towards passenger side facing truck?
  4. RangerJoey

Silly question, but which way do I turn the fan clutch bolt to remove it? I got the radiator and shroud out in 20 minutes. Then - boom - stopped all progress. The shroud says it's RH thread on this 4.0 OHV. So does that mean turn left/passenger side (when facing the truck)? Or right, driver's side.
  5. RangerJoey

Cruise light on, doesnt work/no backup lights or parking

I thought with these guys, the cruise control not working is a safety feature linked to the brake light. I've heard a good amount of stories with older cars that had failing cruise control and it just turned out to be that 3rd brake light being out, (CC is designed to disengage when the brake...
  6. RangerJoey

'99 to Live Axle Swap: Noob Advice?

Thanks for all the advice! I think I just need to jump in and go to town on this already. I'm set to order some parts and was just checking over RockAuto. I expanded a 2001 4WD Ranger & a 1999 4WD Explorer. The hub part numbers are consistently different. And I mean across all brands from...
  7. RangerJoey

Thanks! I'm super comfortable about the rear, but the front - which should be straightforward - has me concerned. When you say frame rail, can I ask where? The torsion bars seems to block the side rails.
  8. RangerJoey

Thanks all for the input so far - much appreciated! I think longterm, I have no problem replacing the radiator. I wouldn't mind doing it now, but I know it's a rabbit hole thing with me, (leads to water pump, belt, etc). After thinking about it, I probably should play it conservatively and...
  9. RangerJoey

Thanks all! And nope, truck has been in MD it's whole life. Just means southern weather one summer, then New England-like the next :confused: Oil is clean though. Did a change shortly before this. Still super clean. But I like the garden hose idea. How would I do that though? I've seen things...
  10. RangerJoey

Hi All, I'm trying to flush the cooling system on a '99 4.0 OHV and first drained the coolant on a cool engine. Rather disgusting: Nasty stuff. I then removed the thermostat, threw a bottle of Prestone flush + distilled water in there, let it idle with the heat maxed and drained again: Not...
  11. RangerJoey

Thanks don, (and sorry for the MIA). Stupid question, but I jacked up the front of the truck for the first time to flush the power steering and noticed when I jack the center of the front crossmember, my jack takes up too much room to put the actual jack stands under the crossmember. For the...
  12. RangerJoey

Upper Thermostat Housing Question: 35mm vs 40mm

Hello, I'm flushing my radiator and figured I'd replace a few parts while drained. I picked up a Stant 195F thermostat, new O-Ring and Gasket. But I'm confused about the upper thermostat housing. On my '99 4.0L, RockAuto, Amazon, and even the part manufacturers themselves, (like Dorman), list...
  13. RangerJoey

Thanks guys - this is great! I think the torsion thing scares me a bit and I don't want to work on a car "scared", but that sounds simple. (Famous last words of mine). As for the bearing and hubs, is it really just one unit that bolts to the knuckle or do I need to press them or something? I...
  14. RangerJoey

Hello, I'm getting prepared for a full front suspension overhaul and in the process, converting from a locking hub system to a front live axle. I've read this article in the tech section but still have some questions. First, I've picked up new upper control arms, lower control arms, inner tie...
  15. RangerJoey

Front Differential: Quick Questions on Drain Plug

Hello, I'm hoping to remove the fill plug and suck out all the old oil in the front differential, ('99 4WD), and have 2 quarts of 80w90 ready to go with one of those fluid pumps. But my concern is the drain plug. Unlike the rear diff or transfer case, I don't see this being a regular...