Recent content by Rowdy Fitzgerald

1. Rowdy Fitzgerald

The ranger

Well I've been putting more miles on it. Went out hunting the other day. Put almost 300 miles on it. I beat it pretty good one time because I got into some loose dirt under snow, on a hill side. Slid off the 2 track and went about 50 foot down the hill trying to be gentle. Then I just started...
  2. Rowdy Fitzgerald

The ranger

So I'm having an issue with my rear fuel tank letting air in the lines. I'm not sure what's going on. At first I thought the power wire and ground were hooked up backwards, I swapped them and it got better. But now it's doing it again with a full tank. So now I'm stumped. I'm gonna pull the...
  3. Rowdy Fitzgerald

The ranger

Been drivin it more lately. Reset the timing to 10 deg and that helped a lot with drivability. The speedometer is right about 50% off. That means the trip meter is too. Thinkin about swapping out the speedo I have out for a autometer or something similar.
  4. Rowdy Fitzgerald

4.0 retrofitted with a distributor?

I'm still trying to schedule a day to go look the truck over. Apparently when two people have a floating work schedule, it's difficult to get the same days off.
  5. Rowdy Fitzgerald

Talkin about diesels, I dd a 83 mercedes. I have been driving it for 2.5 years now. Last winter I was driving it from North-Eastern California which is basically not California. We were seeing over night temps in the single digits regularly. The o'l Mercedes fired up every time. It did take a...
  6. Rowdy Fitzgerald

Well if it works, it's a gain of 20hp and 30ft lb torque with a couple mpg saved. If a guy has to replace their 2.9 to start with, there isn't a reason not to put a 4.0 in.
  7. Rowdy Fitzgerald

I'll hit you up on that dizzy. They're $50 whole. So correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the earlier 4.0's have an aluminum upper intake? Would anyone have an aluminum and plastic that the could set side by side a post a couple pictures of? I'm wondering one will provide more room than the other.
  8. Rowdy Fitzgerald

Thank you! Let me check the price for one at pick n pull. I may hit you up on that!
  9. Rowdy Fitzgerald

Well I've found a ranger that needs little work for $500. It has a spare 4.0 on the bed. If I end up buying it, I may go grab a distributor from the pick n pull to see if I can get it to fit, just for scientific research purposes. If that works out, there's another ranger that I might be able...
  10. Rowdy Fitzgerald

That's what I was thinking too lol. But then again, maybe people just always figured it wouldn't work...
  11. Rowdy Fitzgerald

Does anyone have a 2.9 dizzy and a 4.0 block with both upper and lower intakes that's willing to see if it fits all bolted up? I don't have either anymore...
  12. Rowdy Fitzgerald

This would be the biggest factor I believe. If it fits, then there shouldn't be any issue with everything else.
  13. Rowdy Fitzgerald

Well the radiator is bigger for the 4.0 than the 2.9, but they bolt right in place of the 2.9 radiator.
  14. Rowdy Fitzgerald

I've never had the 2 side by side so I havent and can't compare them. But if they're the same block, just put larger injectors and and plug everything incorrectly then it should run...
  15. Rowdy Fitzgerald

That's correct. Which is why I'm wondering if it's possible lol