• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2000 2.5 engine with air filter that is soaked in oil?

need info

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
hello, I have had this old ranger for about 4 years now. the filter sitting outside of the engine at the end of a big tube . I was told that the external air filter that looks like a shop vac filter needs to be cleaned and then oil applied to it.
Should I purchase an new one or try the cleaning and oil kit?
Is there a good way to clean it without buying the kit and then use an oil of some kind rather than the kit oil. Or does it make sense to purchase a new filter that has oil already on it for fifty dollars. I always prefer a do it your self approach but never heard of such a thing before. any suggestions from those who been messing with these for years. thanks

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The cleaning kits are much cheaper, if done right. If you over do it it will cause problems.

No air filter that costs twice as much as the stock replacement and does the job worse makes sense.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
A stock, NOT OILED, filter is best, 200% airflow so has to get really dirty to effect performance, just replace when dirty

Oiled air filters are best for dusty off-road applications or farm vehicles, how they ended up being used on street vehicles is great marketing not a great idea.
Like CAI(cold air intakes), back in the carburetor days they were a good modification, but now EVERY fuel injected vehicle comes with CAI, including Rangers, so.....................marketing.

Hey its your money, and I do know glittered radiator caps reflect heat better so make engines run cooler, I sell them cheap, $100, but it will save your engine and increase MPG :), so cheap at any price

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The OP probably doesn't have the stock air filter housing.
If you have a wrecking yard close by go find a stock air filter housing and use a stock paper filter.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
There are different cleaning kits out there for those. Like stated above, those style of filters don’t make much sense for road use. Easy to mess up when cleaning and oiling and they let more junk through to wear your engine out faster.

Those filters were made and designed for racing where engines are only used for a few races at most and are torn down and rebuilt.

need info

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
It all makes sense. I could not understand why a filter has to be oiled. From one post it seems like my system is not stock, but it is quite elaborate. Can I purchase a filter of the same type that has no oil on it and just replace the one on the truck that is oiled. I will try to explain the system, but I think everyone knows already what I am talking about. Basically round duct about 6 inches round, comes off the the top of the engine and flows down to the front corner of the engine compartment opposite side of the the battery, which is the passengers side. A big old filter like a shop vac has nothing covering it but oil is infused on it. It is sitting attached to the round duct work with a clamp. So My question is can I just purchase a new filter that has the same circumference without oil and put it on and that is it? it seems going to a junk yard and switching things over is kind of a hassle right now., but I do want what is best. The oiled filter seems stupid and exspensive and a waste like everyone is saying. a non oiled filter is about 30 dollars. thanks for extra advice.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
This is what stock system looks like: https://www.admiralmotors.com/cars/1999-ford-ranger_10cff34c.jpg

The air filter box is in the lower left, its top comes up and off, and air filter is under there.
That box will have another tube that goes to a hole in the rad support so it pulls in Cold Air from behind the grill, a Cold Air Intake

The metal part with the wires on the air filter boxes top is the MAF(mass air flow) sensor, computer uses that to measure the WEIGHT of the incoming air

Stock air filter looks like this: https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/pict/222832524626_/Hastings-Filters-1PCS-Air-Filter-For-1998-2001-FORD-RANGER.jpg

need info

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i see now. It looks like just the housing was removed and an exposed filter (with oil) was put on in place of it . I think it my be well spent time to call the junk yards. Just for the record I purchased it from an old farmer and he hardly put any miles on it but I think he used it on the farm. prior comments on off road use may be the case here. thanks I appreciate it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals