• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help in selling

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Mine was purely intended as a joke sir, not at all disputing your factual information, which I am hoping he will clearly understand :)

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Mine was purely intended as a joke sir, not at all disputing your factual information, which I am hoping he will clearly understand :)
I wasn't too sure, so I thought I'd make it a little clearer.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Very true SK, he can probly better understand that now too, truely I didn't even consider the reason for the wide margin myself until you pointed it out :)

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Very true SK, he can probly better understand that now too, truely I didn't even consider the reason for the wide margin myself until you pointed it out :)
I figured as much. Which is why I pointed it out.:)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
$2k is a little low IMO

Those bumpers are not cheap, neither is anything Duff and there is a lot of Duff in the front. Has sliders. Glass fenders are not cheap either and you have all four, that is almost a grand right there.

I would think out there in baja country where bumpers, sliders and bulged fenders are popular it wouldn't take too long to find someone who would appreciate it.

$2k is a nice clean stock truck.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
That is a pretty cool truck... 2k is low.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
@PetroleumJunkie412 needs this truck. It still has his favorite engine and looks to be much better suited to driving in sand.. :whistle:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
@PetroleumJunkie412 needs this truck. It still has his favorite engine and looks to be much better suited to driving in sand.. :whistle:
If nothing else it has front recovery points so I could drag him out of the way when he tries to block me in by getting stuck in the middle of only way in or out.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
If nothing else it has front recovery points so I could drag him out of the way when he tries to block me in by getting stuck in the middle of only way in or out.

My front and rear bumpers literally are recovery points

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My front and rear bumpers literally are recovery points
I know you had a rear receiver, I was gawking at your engine more than your front bumper. Most tube bumpers are more like exhaust pipe than anything real durable for tugging.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
$2k is a little low IMO

Those bumpers are not cheap, neither is anything Duff and there is a lot of Duff in the front. Has sliders. Glass fenders are not cheap either and you have all four, that is almost a grand right there.

I would think out there in baja country where bumpers, sliders and bulged fenders are popular it wouldn't take too long to find someone who would appreciate it.

$2k is a nice clean stock truck.
I'll wager that he'd be more likely to find average buyers like me, who would look at that truck, and walk away, especially at more than $2,000. I'll also wager that there are more people like me around than there are people who would pay top dollar for that truck because they want everything that's on it. Translation: Modifications to a truck don't increase its' value beyond what a stock truck in similar condition would be worth.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
I know you had a rear receiver, I was gawking at your engine more than your front bumper. Most tube bumpers are more like exhaust pipe than anything real durable for tugging.

Thick walled Smittybilts. They've fought brick walls, and won. ??

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I'll wager that he'd be more likely to find average buyers like me, who would look at that truck, and walk away, especially at more than $2,000. I'll also wager that there are more people like me around than there are people who would pay top dollar for that truck because they want everything that's on it. Translation: Modifications to a truck don't increase its' value beyond what a stock truck in similar condition would be worth.
That's where you're definitely wrong. Not ALL mods increase the value, no doubt, but having a few high quality mods done on the truck that a potential buyer likes or wants is bound to raise it's value. Most people looking for an older Ranger 4x4 (which get fewer and fewer every year) will probably plan on some upgrades of their own anyway.. That truck with the fiberglass bedsides and fenders and other quality parts like Duff, etc.. All of the lift/durability mods are already done for the next guy. The next guy might want a nicely modded/lifted truck for his future V8 swap..

Don't forget, some super clean Bronco II's are going as high as $15,000 now, and super clean 1st and 2nd gen Rangers are not much lower than that from time to time. Twenty dollars won't buy you much anymore.. Inflation is a bitch.

I know that when I was in the market for a nice 1st gen Ranger for my V8 swap, money was no object. I simply wanted the cleanest truck I could find within a days drive, I wanted it right now, and it had to be a shortbed standard cab 2 wheel drive. Had I found an all original, one owner truck for $8,000, I would have bought it and drove away smiling.

All that said, you can definitely put too much in to a truck, and ask too much for it, or any other object for that matter. However, that doesn't apply to this truck really..

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
That's where you're definitely wrong. Not ALL mods increase the value, no doubt, but having a few high quality mods done on the truck that a potential buyer likes or wants is bound to raise it's value. Most people looking for an older Ranger 4x4 (which get fewer and fewer every year) will probably plan on some upgrades of their own anyway.. That truck with the fiberglass bedsides and fenders and other quality parts like Duff, etc.. All of the lift/durability mods are already done for the next guy. The next guy might want a nicely modded/lifted truck for his future V8 swap..

Don't forget, some super clean Bronco II's are going as high as $15,000 now, and super clean 1st and 2nd gen Rangers are not much lower than that from time to time. Twenty dollars won't buy you much anymore.. Inflation is a bitch.

I know that when I was in the market for a nice 1st gen Ranger for my V8 swap, money was no object. I simply wanted the cleanest truck I could find within a days drive, I wanted it right now, and it had to be a shortbed standard cab 2 wheel drive. Had I found an all original, one owner truck for $8,000, I would have bought it and drove away smiling.

All that said, you can definitely put too much in to a truck, and ask too much for it, or any other object for that matter. However, that doesn't apply to this truck really..
The only way I would pay more than $2,000 for that truck is if I was planning those exact mods, and knew what they would cost for me to do. The only way I would *BUY* that truck is if the seller had another truck the same year, same condition but STOCK, and I could drive both. If I found that the modded truck rode better, I might entertain it, but only if its' value could be proven.

I'll wager that most buyers in the real world are like me. We don't know much, if anything, about mods. When we go looking for a truck, we see a stock truck, and the value that it holds as a stock truck. We don't see $10,000.00 worth of mods adding $10,000.00 worth of value to the truck. Around here, sure, most of the members might see a $2,000.00 truck with $10,000.00 worth of mods as a $12,000.00 truck. But, like I say, in the real world.....

OK, I've said enough. I'm gonna go put the fire department on standby, because something tells me there're gonna be flames flying.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
The only way I would pay more than $2,000 for that truck is if I was planning those exact mods, and knew what they would cost for me to do. The only way I would *BUY* that truck is if the seller had another truck the same year, same condition but STOCK, and I could drive both. If I found that the modded truck rode better, I might entertain it, but only if its' value could be proven.

I'll wager that most buyers in the real world are like me. We don't know much, if anything, about mods. When we go looking for a truck, we see a stock truck, and the value that it holds as a stock truck. We don't see $10,000.00 worth of mods adding $10,000.00 worth of value to the truck. Around here, sure, most of the members might see a $2,000.00 truck with $10,000.00 worth of mods as a $12,000.00 truck. But, like I say, in the real world.....

OK, I've said enough. I'm gonna go put the fire department on standby, because something tells me there're gonna be flames flying.
We get it, we get it...

You're cheap.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals