• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Starter Bolt Hole in Trans Stripped! Any Ideas?

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Any ideas what to do with that? Just putting the truck back together after installing a "rebuilt" transmission. Put the bottom bolt in and tightened it up, then got up top and started the top bolt in, got a few threads in and put a 1/4" ratchet W/ 1/2" socket in there and started turning it, it took a bit to get it to even feel like it was tightening up, "here we go" I thought, but it just kept turning :/
It'll turn easy a bit, then start to try to grip, then it's easy again

This wasn't the only one. One of the bolts holding the trans crossmember mount to the bottom didn't look good, so I ran a tap through it, but the threads were just gone. Luckily I had a bolt just like it I'd picked up out at pickers with a nut on it, fit just fine, I pushed the bolt up in it, put some locktight on the nut and tightened it up. This starter bolt doesn't go all the way through tho

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I assume you know what a helicoil is. They suck for blind holes, but there are different threaded inserts that work well for what your doing. Provided you can get a tap to it. I repair cylinder heads with these all the time. Should work great for your situation as well.

metallics-e-z-lok-composite-fasteners-329-820-64_1000.jpg

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Something like this should work:

I believe the starter bolt size is M10-1.5, but double check it to make sure.

Edit:
too slow :icon_twisted:

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Wow, thanks yall. I was incorrect about the hole, it did go through. I checked my old tranny after posting this and found it did.
Luckily I had a bolt picked up at pickers with a lock nut on it and just the right length :)

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I did something with a helicoil when I first got this 12 years ago, can't remember what it was but I still have the handle and the extra coils that came with it

I like yours too 4x4junkie, never noticed those kind before

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
No one likes my thread inserts... :cry:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
We do business with a head shop, not the magical kind.... they send us heads all the time with broken studs or stripped holes. We use to use helicoil, the ones I pictured are cheaper, faster and stronger. And no insert tool required. If you do helicoils enough the tool is 150 bucks.

TruckJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
So I have a problem exactly like this but totally different.I have a 1986 Ranger 6 cylinder 2.9l with an A4LD transmission.My problem is with the bottom starter bolt hole on the bell housing.The bottom half of that hole is completely missing.A friend gave me this truck saying I just had to get the starter lined up correctly....I am away from truck right now and came across this thread but will upload pictures once I get back to it.I have tried several methods using jb weld,jb weld steel stick and even an attempt at welding a bolt facing backwards(so I could slide starter on and use a nut to tighten) but everything I try,if it works,has only been a very temporary success before the bolt is ripped free from where I've tried securing it to the bell housing.If anyone can suggest any other ideas I would be really grateful.Im starting to kind of think that unless I replace the bell housing everything is going to be super temporary though and the only mechanic type experience I have I've gotten working on this truck,so really not a lot and the thought of replacing something like the bell housing seems slightly complicated and intimidating but I don't really have the option of a mechanic...can't afford one.So thank you for reading this and for any suggestions you may have

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
If part of the hole is missing, the only two options are welding metal on (no epoxy will do) or replacing the bellhousing. since that part has the threads in it there is no other option, there is a tremendous force on the starter in that direction...

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Please post some pictures of what you're dealing with.

And, welcome to TRS.

TruckJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
So does it matter the type of welder you use?I tried with my friends lincoln electric I think MIG welder,the kind where you pull a trigger and wire feeds through and makes lots of sparks?If that should work then I'm betting I need to improve my welding skills,but that seemed to fail quicker than any of the jb weld options,and thank you for the answer

TruckJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Please post some pictures of what you're dealing with.

And, welcome to TRS.
Thank you and I'm currently walking back across town to take some pictures...I didn't think I'd find anything like this place...I'm also reading everything I can about the A4LD transmission while I walk.so much great info

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Good; get some pics, and it'd be better make new post on your problem.

There's some smart people on here who can likely help you. I'm just the door-greeter.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
So does it matter the type of welder you use?I tried with my friends lincoln electric I think MIG welder,the kind where you pull a trigger and wire feeds through and makes lots of sparks?If that should work then I'm betting I need to improve my welding skills,but that seemed to fail quicker than any of the jb weld options,and thank you for the answer
Yes it does matter. First the welder has to be able to weld aluminum (can be done with MIG, but needs aluminum wire, and usually a "spool gun" and appropriate shield gas) which isn't the most common thing and from what I hear is difficult for this type of repair. Second from what I hear the aluminum in Ford castings isn't the easiest to weld in the first place from whatever alloy they use.

Even after welding the hole will need to be drilled and tapped to hold threads or at least be a through hole for a nut on the back which probably isn't the easiest in the vehicle.

Not trying to be a negative nancy, just saying it isn't going to be easy...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals