• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Manual is hard to shift

computersoc

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2001 Ranger 2.5L RWD 5 speed manual transmission. It's a little hard shifting at times, not terrible but I'd like it smoother. Is there anything that would need to be replaced other than fluid?

Can I use Royal Purple Synchromax? I believe it calls for Mercon V ATF. I think I need 2.8 quarts, correct?

I had an issue about 6 years ago where I would be in neutral or first gear, and couldn't shift it into the next gear unless I hit the clutch, put it in third, then shifted to 1st or 2nd. Went away mysteriously. Happened almost every day at one point. Does that maybe once a year now.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Probably need to bleed the clutch system, common issue with Rangers, and internal slaves in general

Yes you can used synthetic ATF, bone dry it holds 2.8 quarts, hard to get 2 quarts in when changing it

computersoc

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Is that synchromax ATF? I've only used the regular Royal Purple ATF before.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Is that synchromax ATF? I've only used the regular Royal Purple ATF before.
No not specifically ATF, "replaces ATF"

Here's their blurb
Royal Purple® Synchromax® is recommended for manual transmissions that specify an automatic transmission fluid or other light-viscosity oil.

1999Mazda Central Florida

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
Tire Size
Michelin LTX M/S P235-75R15
Wanting to take some time to finally change transmission fluid in the 1999 Mazda B2500 5 speed. I looked up the most recent forum on the topic and wonder if I can use Mercon LV?
I know there was an update from Mercon ATF to Mercon V (a decade or so ago) and there is also Dex/Mercon<--is that the old formula? Can I use Mercon LV for the 5 speed change?
I should probably just go with Amsoil?

Attachments

Last edited:

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
@RonD Did you ever figure out why it was hard to shift?

Two things come to mind. First, clutch. My Justy had a cable clutch (I know, Rangers are hydraulic), and when the clutch cable was out of adjustment, the clutch wouldn't disengage all the way, so it was hard to shift, and ground. All we had to do was adjust the cable. The second is bad synchros. The way to test for that is to double clutch (step on the clutch, shift to neutral, let out the clutch, then step on the clutch to go into gear). If it goes in smooth as butter when you double clutch, but you have to force it otherwise, the synchro for that gear might be bad. @adsm08 Am I right, here (about testing the synchros by double clutching)?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals