• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Another project- ‘06 escape

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Yeah, so much for not picking up any tools between now & april. Bought a escape for $200. yes- two hundred. doesnt run, turns over. Dont have a picture yet to post, dont know much about it really. 3.0 auto, awd (but no knob on dash like the ‘02 I test drove earlier today) alloy wheels (16”, could of used the exploder wheels I bought 3 weeks ago but I sold them 2 days ago for what I paid since I decided they wouldnt work well on the ranger) Has a trailer hitch, factory from what I can tell. I drove another escape in columbus today, it was 1500 but really rusty, was a peppy little thing. We will see what a money pit this becomes, hopefully not though. Havent got it home yet, couldnt find a tow dolly to rent, only place that had one was U-haul and you know what dicks they are when it comes to renting a dolly or trailer.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well, start with the basics. Fuel, fire, air.

The 3.0 is a pretty hardy engine. Most of the issues I have ever had on that version of the 3.0 DOHC came from spark plug seals on the valve covers leaking oil into the plug wells and saturating things.

Keep an eye on that transmission. If it hasn't been replaced expect to. CD4Es like to die horrible deaths between 110K and 150K when the pump gives out and they just loose all gears.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
well, this $200 is about to double or more already, my code reader says pcm vin mismatch. so someone else tried a junkyard computer? looks like new is 400. Ive seen “with keys”. whats that mean?, damn pats system maybe? took a few pictures, took the easy way out and called a rollback, $70 to transport less than 10 miles? thats quite a racket.
oh..... the odometer reads 245,000 miles, but vehicle doesnt remotely show 100,000 miles of wear and tear, could milage be stored in pcm and the milage shown is really the junkyard vehicle the pcm is from?
Sure looks that way. I'd get it flashed for the right VIN, get the PATS system reset to recognize the new computer, and see where you are before dumping $400 on a new computer that still needs programmed in.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
It's clear someone has fooled with the engine harness... I can see a couple repairs.

So it is a junk yard PCM?

Or are you guessing?

You really need to address the communications and mismatch errors before going a step further. Those are the rules...

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It's clear someone has fooled with the engine harness... I can see a couple repairs.

So it is a junk yard PCM?

Or are you guessing?

You really need to address the communications and mismatch errors before going a step further. Those are the rules...
It def has a used PCM in it. The VIN on the door and the VIN on the scanner don't match.

I don't think there are really any communication errors. Two of those codes are caused directly by the PCM/ABS VIN mismatch. The U1900 just says that something has gone wrong and someone reported it, so it could be caused simply by the other two mismatch codes being there. The P1000 is probably because nobody ever reset the PATS system and it hasn't run since the PCM was replaced.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
found a place online that does pcm reflashing, I’ll have to call and find out more information. “solo auto” is the name of the place. Im guessing the ignition key needs to be shipped in also . Crazy technology! As far as the transmission, fluid color and level are good. I don’t believe this chassis really has 245K on it, A title search might tell me that, I think that high milage is from the other pcm, it makes sence that with a digital odometer the miles would be stored in the computer, change the computer, change the miles. Still have more research to do, been a long day and my head needs to rest.

Last edited:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
And that may very well be the case... the mismatch caused the com/reporting error. I didn't even check the pic with the VIN...

I went right to the vehicle pics... looks really nice. Then I seen the engine harness repairs.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
It looks very nice, I test drove a yellow ‘03 yesterday with 120K. It had much more wear & tear then this ‘06 with (alleged) 245K. such as drivers seat wear, brake pedal pad wear, body rust. The ‘03 was only 1500 but it had some issues I didnt like. Very fun to drive though, Im hoping I can get this ‘06 on the road, be a good “backup” vehicle.

Last edited:

willindsay

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That gen Escape had issues in the early years with the COP driver in the PCM frying itself when the coils go out. I bought an 05 off my sister that had the issue. Paid 1600$ for the shop to install all new COPs and a new computer. With a mismatched PCM I'd bet that's what happened and someone didn't relies you couldn't use a junkyard pcm without programming.

Once you get the PCM sorted out I'd go ahead and do coils and plugs just to make sure.

I've got and 01 & 05 both with over 220,000mi and they are great cars both are driven daily hard in the mtbs of east TN.

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
got an 11 escape w/ 3.0l 6 spd transmission and is running great @ almost 200,000 mi.

gets driven daily oil changed every 5,000 mi w/full synthetic. after 5,000 mi. oil is almost the same color as it was when it was put in.. also it has no oil leaks and no oil is used in between oil changes..

we love this escape

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Wow...

I think I would seriously consider scrapping this one and recoup some of your money... or get another first gen Escape with a decent body and use this one as a parts car for it.

AJ

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
K I tried to read all about this thing but got a headache... I know nothing about escapes but on the rangers when they went to digital gauge clusters in 2004 the gauge cluster became "married" to the pcm. You can't swap one without the other. I dont see anywhere in this thread about you mentioning if the gauge cluster was ever swapped but you did say there's a junkyard pcm in it so it may not work unless you get it to recognize the cluster somehow.

I have feeling the only way this thing will ever run is if you spend a fortune getting a tuner to reprogram the hell out of it to delete the Pat's system, change the vins, and marry the cluster. (If they can even do that). Then who knows what else is screwed up...

I agree cut your losses lol.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Yes, it's possible to get a junkyard pcm reprogrammed to work in another vehicle. You need someone with a Ford IDS.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
IDS wont marry the clusters though. Only way I've ever seen those done was to send the cluster and ECU directly to Ford.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
IDS wont marry the clusters though. Only way I've ever seen those done was to send the cluster and ECU directly to Ford.

Yes it will. It is called a parameter reset and it's in the PATS menu behind the 10 minute security access. How do you think we do this when a PATS involved module has to be replaced in the field?

On vehicles built after 2010 it doesn't work anymore because most modules like the pcm, I and BCM are VIN locked once they are programmed the first time.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals