• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cybertruck Reveal

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I do know how the ecoboost shit works. Its got twin turbos one little one that spools low rpm and a bigger one that huffs in the R's.

Plus its got DI and VVT or whatever.

Biggest reason i wont own one isnt so much power concern as reliabilty, thats alot of fancy, pricey shit to fail.

If i can afford one ill get a 7.3 gas SD.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Turbos blow air into the engine... direct injection squirts fuel into the engine... and VVT, well no one knows how that works...

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
You should look at how the MultiAir system works on my new-to-me Fiat.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
VVT, well no one knows how that works...
It doesn’t work... At least it doesn’t work on all the 5.4l with cam phaser issues.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I freaking love this dude...

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
There is so much fodder floating around in this thread. What I'm seeing is rational arguments from the ICE crowd, and other stuff from the EV crowd.

I see a lot of arguments from the EV crowd about how much pollution ICEs put out. I see the EV crowd trying to tell me what I need for a vehicle, based only on "most people", and their perceptions of what they *think* I need. I even saw somebody quote my post about the range of the vehicles I've had in the last few years, and tell me that I just need to charge my EV while I'm in the city.

So, let me answer a few of those things.

First, about pollution. EVers, you put out more CO2 breathing than I do driving, even when I was driving longer distances more often. In the six years I owned my Fit, I averaged 9,000km per year. I don't have numbers handy, but you put out more CO2 breathing than I do driving (10x). So, instead of telling me to buy an EV, I would suggest that you stop breathing.

Second, about the vehicle I need. As you know, the nearest city is 250km away. So, I need a comfortable vehicle that can travel there and back, not necessarily on a tank of gas, but without a major delay. My Fit could do that, but if I spent the day driving around the city, I'd have to fill up to come home. I live in a small town (as you might have guessed). It's pretty open around my house, so it tends to get blown in. That tells me that a 4x4 would be a good choice, especially if I want to get out of my driveway, that can get anywhere up to 12 inches or more of snow on it. In fact, one day last winter, the drift across it was four feet deep (a 4x4 won't get through that, no, but the 12 inch drift it should be able to plow through). My Fit, except for not being 4x4, was a perfect vehicle for me (too bad the bank took it).

I am not opposed to buying an EV, as long as 1) it can drive to the city and back on one charge, or fully charge as quickly as I can fill the gas tank on my ICE 2) Is comfortable for that long drive 3) Can get through the snow. I *am* opposed to being told to adapt my requirements to fit the vehicle that somebody else chooses for me, rather than choosing the vehicle that meets my needs, and that is EXACTLY what the EV crowd is doing.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I *am* opposed to being told to adapt my requirements to fit the vehicle that somebody else chooses for me, rather than choosing the vehicle that meets my needs, and that is EXACTLY what the EV crowd is doing.
It's been repeatedly stated in this thread that electric vehicles aren't for everyone today, and in certain use cases won't be for a very long time if ever. Nobody is telling you to adapt your requirements to use a vehicle you didn't choose.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
It's been repeatedly stated in this thread that electric vehicles aren't for everyone today, and in certain use cases won't be for a very long time if ever. Nobody is telling you to adapt your requirements to use a vehicle you didn't choose.
Actually, somebody did tell me to do that. But, it was a few pages back, and I don't particularly want to go back and find it to quote it, right now. I'm tired, and I want my bed.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
The first car I ever drove was electric. Came with a cool remote.

It's pretty bad when even Lego trolls you.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There is so much fodder floating around in this thread. What I'm seeing is rational arguments from the ICE crowd, and other stuff from the EV crowd.

I see a lot of arguments from the EV crowd about how much pollution ICEs put out. I see the EV crowd trying to tell me what I need for a vehicle, based only on "most people", and their perceptions of what they *think* I need. I even saw somebody quote my post about the range of the vehicles I've had in the last few years, and tell me that I just need to charge my EV while I'm in the city.

So, let me answer a few of those things.

First, about pollution. EVers, you put out more CO2 breathing than I do driving, even when I was driving longer distances more often. In the six years I owned my Fit, I averaged 9,000km per year. I don't have numbers handy, but you put out more CO2 breathing than I do driving (10x). So, instead of telling me to buy an EV, I would suggest that you stop breathing.

Second, about the vehicle I need. As you know, the nearest city is 250km away. So, I need a comfortable vehicle that can travel there and back, not necessarily on a tank of gas, but without a major delay. My Fit could do that, but if I spent the day driving around the city, I'd have to fill up to come home. I live in a small town (as you might have guessed). It's pretty open around my house, so it tends to get blown in. That tells me that a 4x4 would be a good choice, especially if I want to get out of my driveway, that can get anywhere up to 12 inches or more of snow on it. In fact, one day last winter, the drift across it was four feet deep (a 4x4 won't get through that, no, but the 12 inch drift it should be able to plow through). My Fit, except for not being 4x4, was a perfect vehicle for me (too bad the bank took it).

I am not opposed to buying an EV, as long as 1) it can drive to the city and back on one charge, or fully charge as quickly as I can fill the gas tank on my ICE 2) Is comfortable for that long drive 3) Can get through the snow. I *am* opposed to being told to adapt my requirements to fit the vehicle that somebody else chooses for me, rather than choosing the vehicle that meets my needs, and that is EXACTLY what the EV crowd is doing.
Nobody in this discussion has said that you need an EV or that they work for everybody. They will work for the majority of people.
If you live 150+ miles from a city, you're not like most people
If you only drive 5600 miles per year, you're not like most people
If you frequently need to drive through 6ft snow drifts, you're not like most people.

The number of people in your situation makes up a statistically small percentage of cases.

A Honda Fit is a great car. They're inexpensive, versatile, and get strong fuel economy. I hope you drive the wheels off of yours. That being said, I'm pretty skeptical of your claim of putting out less CO2 than a person breathing. I doubt you'll care to follow along because your mind is already made up, but for those interested in some actual data instead of hypotheticals based on anecdotes, we can do some basic math and determine the difference between a Fit and a human.

A Fit puts out about 250g/mile driven if you get 35-40mpg:

You drive 5600 miles per year. That means your car put out 1.4 million g of CO2, or 3086lbs. That's just tailpipe emissions, and does not include CO2 created while getting the oil out of the ground, refining it into gasoline, and transporting it to the fueling station.
The average human emits about 2lbs of CO2 per day, or 730lbs per year:

So, even though you drive a pretty efficient car, and you don't drive a ton of miles, at an absolute minimum you're still creating about 5 times the CO2 as an average person's breathing. If you include the CO2 created getting that gas into your tank, the difference is even greater.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
But electricity isnt clean energy either. It's made by coal in most of the country... your just passing the emissions from one point to another. Unless you charge your EV with solar, or have your own nuclear reactor your still polluting.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Solar and wind has it’s own environmental issues as well. There is no “free lunch”.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Not saying that it is but if the batteries are the issue with the Tesla fires, they aren't the only ones having problems. Boeing is having a rough time because of the battery and them catching fire issue. It seems when they work as they should, they are fantastic but when they don't they really don't. Also, I haven't heard one way or the other, did Tesla solve the "bricking" issue that at least one model of their car was having? It seems they were notorious for being completely dead in the water if their batteries were allowed to discharge below a certain point and could not be recharged again to get the car going.
I've got 18650 flash light batteries that are like that. They're fine if you keep them charged up. Let them get below a certain point, throw them away. They won't charge again.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals