• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

High Revs

Jdouglas942

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I’ve got a 98 ranger 3.0 manual tranny and the revs stay high when shifting gears. I’ve changed the throttle body, IAC valve, TPS sensor, Map sensor, MAP sensor and the engine coolant sensor with no change at all. I recently smoked the vacuum lines and found a leak back around the gas tank, took bed off, dropped gas tank and fixed that line but still didn’t help at all. I’m out of ideas on this thing. What else could cause this?!?!?

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Maybe try cleaning the TPS connector. Mine would stay at high revs between shifts on and off, after cleaning the connector contacts the revs went back to normal. There is also an internet post about changing the TPS connector for new.

I used electrical contact cleaner with a very small screwdriver to help scrub.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The computer should HOLD RPMs between shifts, its an emissions thing, but if you press in the clutch pedal and hold it in for 5 to 7 seconds the RPMs should drop to about 1,000
They will drop under 1,000 when speedometer is under 5MPH, also an emissions thing

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I should add that my RPMs would rise between shifts when I had this problem. There is a standard drop but not as much as pre-emissions standard trans.

Jdouglas942

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Idle relearn solved my problem, but I want to add that the first time I tried it my AC compressor was unplugged. The truck ran fine until I turned my AC or heat on, it would rev high like before. So I plugged the compressor back in , re did the idle relearn procedure and all is well now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals