• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

identifying mustang parts

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my dad has a early 90's 2wd ranger pickup, supposedly it has a mustang 2.3 in it. someone put a cheapo parts store clutch kit in it like 6 months ago and the slave went out and i was going to buy a luk kit and put it in for him.

ive never seen 2.3l mustang parts, and i assume that they are different from ranger 2.3 parts, especially the transmission. im betting its a t5? anyway to tell the difference real quick so i can order a kit?

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
T5-
The shifter comes out a foot farther back then a stock Ranger. It has a cable clutch, not hydraulic. The bell housing and trans can be separated.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Flywheel is the same between the two, pressure plate and friction disc are different though...

That said, was the Ranger originally a 4 cylinder truck? If so it's just going to be an M5OD trans, same since '87 I think on the 4 bangers clutch wise, engine wise the Mustang engines are very similar, they just did things later than Ranger engines, apparently the Ranger was the test bed or something...

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
If it has a Mustang 2.3 then they probably just used the long block as a replacement. The engines are basically identical other than the accessory brackets which would have been swapped off the stock Ranger engine. If you're in doubt about the trans just take the old clutch disk with you and compare with the new one. I think the T5 has a different spline count than the TK or M5OD. There are lots of post on identifying Ranger transmissions out there though.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
they just used the stock ranger transmission. does any one know if you can use 4.0 parts to mate a 2.3 engine/trans? i have a 4.0 clutch/pressure plate/flywheel that have like 5k miles on them, im assuming they are different.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Although the spline count is the same, the flywheel bolt pattern is different and so is the pressure plate bolt pattern

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals