• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Headlights

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
does that have a square tip on the end of it? might need to hold or turn that
bottom left one

justins81213

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
That white one is on my turn signal I read on a forum somewhere that you adjust the bottom one first then use the top one with the screw to fine tune it but I can't get the bottom one to do anything. How would I adjust the plastic piece I've tried turning them once and they felt fixed and I didn't want to break them as that's kinda how there held in place.

justins81213

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I can fit a 4mm socket on the ends of the stud

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I wouldn't force it but mine also are hard to turn(I can turn it by hand tho it isn't easy), probly to avoid them being loose in any way, to avoid any vibration.

justins81213

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'll try an give them a turn again tomorrow should I turn the 4 prong part or the circle part in front of it?

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'd say the prongs are there as sort of a turning handle, mine has them too and on mine that's the part that adjusts it

justins81213

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Alright I'll give that a try tomorrow and post back. I appreciate all your help!

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
No problem Justin. Try looking at a repair manual, they should at least mention those somewhere, most any parts store has them.
The best manuals I've found to have are Ford dealership manuals on CD. I got one for my 93 on ebay in 2006 for 5 or 6 bucks, and another for the 96 also on ebay just a few months ago, about $12

Last edited:

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Headlights help you see at night.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
The easy way to tell if they are adjustable is looking at the stud. If the stud is threaded then it is adjustable. Bring the top adjuster all the way in, tipping light upwards then turn out the bottom two to bring light up. The side with the single adjuster is both ment for up and down along with left to right. This one is the one that is a bit weird to adjust as it adjusts the light mostly left and right but also at a slight angle up and down.

Use the top to bring the light back down as you adjust the single side adjuster.

I have found a level surface and a wall is good for adjusting the lights If one is already adjusted properly to start with, like yours should already be.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Headlights help you see at night.
Not when they’re adjusted wrong.

Aftermarket headlights suck. They are just good enough. I’ve had to pull them out a few times and change the adjustment... most of the adjusters are crap plastic and strip easily. It’s best to adjust them, then install them. If it’s off a little, pull it back out and change the adjustment.

IcecreamLtDan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Justin, the headlights you show a picture of are identical to mine. The top adjuster uses a phillips screwdriver to adjust. The other two adjustments are done with a wrench but. the round plastic pieces need to be held in place or they spin with the screw. If you have the special tool, or your hands are small enough, the adjustment is done with the headlights fully installed in the truck. The aluminum pieces that hold the headlights in will also prevent those plastic pieces from spinning when you turn the screws. I don't have that tool, nor are my hands small enough, so I have to take the headlights out and make small adjustments using a pair of channel locks to keep the plastic pieces from spinning. Then I remount and check the aim and yes, it's a time consuming and frustrating process. If you want the special tool, here it is. Headlight Adjustment Tool

justins81213

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Justin, the headlights you show a picture of are identical to mine. The top adjuster uses a phillips screwdriver to adjust. The other two adjustments are done with a wrench but. the round plastic pieces need to be held in place or they spin with the screw. If you have the special tool, or your hands are small enough, the adjustment is done with the headlights fully installed in the truck. The aluminum pieces that hold the headlights in will also prevent those plastic pieces from spinning when you turn the screws. I don't have that tool, nor are my hands small enough, so I have to take the headlights out and make small adjustments using a pair of channel locks to keep the plastic pieces from spinning. Then I remount and check the aim and yes, it's a time consuming and frustrating process. If you want the special tool, here it is. Headlight Adjustment Tool
Thank you! I can put a 4mm socket on the end and turn the stud never tried holding plastic piece while doing it so I will give that a shot. Appreciate the advice!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals