• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Reductive Design... from Ford CEO

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You know...

Its no wonder sales are slipping. They are building computerized "devices" on wheels who only appeal to millenials and other "tech" folks who would rather just uber anyways.

Then you got HUGE swaths of the population unserved.
I'll have you know, I'm NOT a millennial, I was born 10 years too early. Yet, in my 40's, I want some of those features that they're offering, today. And, yes, I can drive that stickshift that you think nobody will steal. *giggle* were you dumb enough to leave the keys in it, thinking that nobody would steal it, because it's got a clutch? Guess what.... It's in my driveway, now. Want it back, come get it! And, next time, LOCK IT UP, AND DON'T LEAVE THE KEYS IN IT!!!!!

DeathRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 and 2019
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 L 4 cyl ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
This is my Ranger. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
None of my vehicles have any screens in them, I have a gauge cluster and manual HVAC controls and manual radio controls, extremely simple to use and find without having to search for them and without having to play with a tablet and play find the app LOL.

Not sure how the safety institute even allowed those damn built in tablets that's more of a distraction than a damn cell phone I think especially if the driver is the one trying to figure out which of the 50+ menus the setting is to turn the hvac fan up or down for example.
even the fanciest of vehicle with a large touchscreen has a small dedicated spot on bottom of screen with 2 arrows for climate control. press them to change temp. no reading books. just press button

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
what settings are you changing while driving?
I don't change anything, I set stuff before I leave, and if I need to turn the HVAC system to a different setting I do it at a stop light most of the time but I can change all that without taking my eyes off the road as the controls are always in the same spot no digging through a menu trying to find a setting or to change a radio station (my controls for that are on the back of the steering wheel in my Jeep) and the radio doesn't work in my Bronco 2 ;).

I assume you've never been in a new(er) vehicle with everything built into that stupid tablet in the dash? If you have you'd know what I mean trying to find the controls to stuff like the HVAC settings, radio, heated/cooled/massaging seats, etc. while flying down the interstate...yep that's why I love my manual controls, they're always right in the same spot no digging through a tablet that may freeze up at any moment (happens quite frequently).

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
As for ABS, I've had ABS stop me in situations where not having it, I would have hit the idiot who pulled in front of me. Yes, that was on ice, with snow on top of it. ABS works well, when you use it correctly.

How do you CORRECTLY use ABS? Mash the pedal, and HOLD. Do NOT lift your foot, until you come to a stop, you'll just confuse the computer. And if you're not stopping fast enough, push the pedal harder.

I've driven both, and I'd much rather have ABS than not have it.

The other thing that ABS does, that NOBODY who hates it has said, is allow your tires to grab. It's easier for tires to grab when they're rolling, than when they're sliding.

DeathRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 and 2019
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 L 4 cyl ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
This is my Ranger. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
I don't change anything, I set stuff before I leave, and if I need to turn the HVAC system to a different setting I do it at a stop light most of the time but I can change all that without taking my eyes off the road as the controls are always in the same spot no digging through a menu trying to find a setting or to change a radio station (my controls for that are on the back of the steering wheel in my Jeep) and the radio doesn't work in my Bronco 2 ;).

I assume you've never been in a new(er) vehicle with everything built into that stupid tablet in the dash? If you have you'd know what I mean trying to find the controls to stuff like the HVAC settings, radio, heated/cooled/massaging seats, etc. while flying down the interstate...yep that's why I love my manual controls, they're always right in the same spot no digging through a tablet that may freeze up at any moment (happens quite frequently).
I'm only saying the design around the large screens is way better than the old touchscreen junk. The things you need to access are on the front screens and easily available.

I own a 2019 ranger and my wife drives a 2019 Tesla Model 3. I've never had to do anything except change radio station or change temp up/down which both take 1 button press

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
As for ABS, I've had ABS stop me in situations where not having it, I would have hit the idiot who pulled in front of me. Yes, that was on ice, with snow on top of it. ABS works well, when you use it correctly.

How do you CORRECTLY use ABS? Mash the pedal, and HOLD. Do NOT lift your foot, until you come to a stop, you'll just confuse the computer. And if you're not stopping fast enough, push the pedal harder.

I've driven both, and I'd much rather have ABS than not have it.

The other thing that ABS does, that NOBODY who hates it has said, is allow your tires to grab. It's easier for tires to grab when they're rolling, than when they're sliding.
Youd rather have it because you cant drive.

You panic.

Ill bet you i can get a non abs'ed vehicle stopped just as fast and with just as much control as you need abs for.

Not to mention ABS is absolutly worthless and does not stop you any faster then normal brakes.

Also, if you pay attention and drive at a sane speed you shouldnt be in a situation to make a panic stop.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
in the meantime,,, I'm perfectly content with my 2005 XL that has absolutely no fancy gizmos on it.
it's my preferred vehicle of choice for puttin' around. on my occasional trips to northern Michigan I turn the radio off and listen
to the Duratec hum for hours. just me, "Junior", and a dark empty interstate. :icon_thumby:

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I'm only saying the design around the large screens is way better than the old touchscreen junk. The things you need to access are on the front screens and easily available.

I own a 2019 ranger and my wife drives a 2019 Tesla Model 3. I've never had to do anything except change radio station or change temp up/down which both take 1 button press
Neither beat this....

MVC-007F30-400x183.jpg

Or this....

s-l400-5.jpg

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
I just want 2 solid axles, a 7liter-ish OHV V8, manual trans, reg cab with an 8ft box, crank windows, manual transfer case/hubs and rubber floors for less then 30k.

Is that to much to ask?
i think your going to get that.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Youd rather have it because you cant drive.

You panic.

Ill bet you i can get a non abs'ed vehicle stopped just as fast and with just as much control as you need abs for.

Not to mention ABS is absolutly worthless and does not stop you any faster then normal brakes.

Also, if you pay attention and drive at a sane speed you shouldnt be in a situation to make a panic stop.
I find that insulting, and OFFENSIVE. The times I REALLY needed it when I had it, it was because I had *complete* control of my car, but some idiot pulled out in front of me, thinking he was on dry pavement.

1) I was driving at a sane speed
2) Some idiot decided to turn in front of me. Without ABS, I'd have slid into something (either HIM, or something else).
3) SHUT UP!! You have NO idea, other than what you THINK. You weren't there.

** Edited by 1990RangerinSK to remove phrase "like you", since a moderator reminded me that name calling is frowned upon. **

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I find that insulting, and OFFENSIVE. The times I REALLY needed it when I had it, it was because I had *complete* control of my car, but some idiot like YOU pulled out in front of me, thinking he was on dry pavement.

1) I was driving at a sane speed
2) Some idiot decided to turn in front of me. Without ABS, I'd have slid into something (either HIM, or something else).
3) SHUT UP!! You have NO idea, other than what you THINK. You weren't there.
I personally dont care if you find it offensive.

People (including myself) has avoided this very same scenario numerous times without ABS.

You wanna call my vehicles "heaps" but atleast they are driven competently.

Oh and idiot like me eh? Stay in saskatchawan son cause i dont want you to have to insult me to my face.

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
When I get in my F250, I push the start button (even if it's already running from the remote start), pull the selector into drive and go. The temperature is set where I left it last time, as is the radio. If I get a call, I choose to answer it or not with a button on the steering wheel. I'm not sure where people think that everything has to be done through a touch screen. Yes, I have one, and yes, sometimes I use it for the functions it serves, but I'm not dependent on it. Most of the common functions are still done by a knob or button, many are available by simply pressing a button on the steering wheel and telling it what you want. No taking your eyes off the road or any other distractions. Don't try to tell me that these things add to distractions.

In my Ranger, the start process is similar, but after that it's much more involved. The temperature and A/C setting isn't necessarily where it needs to be. Maybe it was sunny and hot the last time I drove and now it's dark and cold, now I need to adjust the climate controls. Not a big deal for sure, but it's something I need to do and it can contribute to distraction. I could go on, but it's pointless.

This is kinda like arguing over pineapple on pizza.

#thatwillprobablychangethetopicforawhile

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals