• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anxiety...

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
Anyone else struggle with it? I cant set one goal and stick with it. I cant get out of bed in the morning even though my mind races with all the things that need done around the house. Then when I have time to do something I cant think of what it was that I needed to do, which just makes it worse. I end up in a hellish spiral that I cant pull myself out of. seems like im stuck in a fight or flight postion but I cant actually spot the threat so I cant do anything directly. I cant run from myself.
the worst part is, like many others I have met on this page i can do/build almost anything if given enough time. I can think my way through almost any situation but this one is defeating me. Im stuck in a loop of my own doing. I started reading and watching videos of helpful ways to get back to normal, which that seems to help out some.

if anyone has ever been through this perhaps the loss of a job brought it on or just the stress of everyday life gets to much, how do you get back to normal?
this has been very hard to write this i am not one to normally say how im feeling in the least.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yes, me too.
And no I haven't found a way out yet.
I would term what I feel as depression. Anxiety also fits as a description. Not suicidal depression but depression none the less.
I did stop drinking (and smoking too) about 10 years ago which helped.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hey MFR, Can't say I understand your plight but will offer what I can here
When I turned 35 I was sleeping in my car, walking everywhere I went, and it struck me hard that I was halfway to my three-score and ten with nothing to show.
I'd worked in a gold mine, been a mile below the surface, loaded blasts that shook the world, and came home to tell about it.
I'd worked in the oilfields, been offshore, and had special helicopters sent to get me out there to where they'd needed me to be.
Had dreams that spiraled into the skies, and knew I would follow them to the day that I died.
BUT, there I was, standing on a corner, walking, or waiting on buses, working out of labor pools, and thoroughly lost.

It isn't really easy knowing from where those things come from, but I'd come to feeling I was in the middle of a deep dark ocean, with its constant swells trying to take me in, and the only way I could see was down, into the deep dark oblivion.

I knew I had to either swim or sink, and since I was(in reality) standing on dry land, I took off walking, every chance I got(between/after having to meet needs).
It did take a while, but the sun soon began to shine.

We're living in a world like it never was before, and doesn't seem to be improving, but in time, it must.
They used to say expect the best, prepare for the worst, and that's still a valid statement, but hopes must come from within, nobody else can give it to you(unless you believe in the Higher Power)

I really wish you the best, and hope for sure you will keep on putting one foot in front of the other

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I've dealt with it in the past. It was initially so bad that I thought I was going to have a heart attack a few times.

It's typically caused by fear. You're worried about something. Maybe you feel you don't have control over something you should. If you don't know what's causing it, you should get counseling. Talking to someone will help identify what's bothering you.

Anxiety is a mental state. You're doing it to yourself. Sometimes you just have to let go and say fawk it.

For me, counseling helped, and then I started going to church. Church turned my life around. I used this bible verse for anxiety:

Philippians 4:6-7

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

Basically, pray for God to get you through it, and trust that he will.

Your doctor could give you something for anxiety, but you need to figure out what's causing it, and deal with it.

Maybe come up with a plan to deal with the problem so you feel like you're back in control.

I found myself needlessly worrying about things, and then having to remind myself that it's worked out in the past, and I'm getting myself worried for nothing.

If you need someone to talk to, shoot me a message. If I was in Ohio, I'd meet you for some beer and wings. ?

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yes, me too.
And no I haven't found a way out yet.
I would term what I feel as depression. Anxiety also fits as a description. Not suicidal depression but depression none the less.
I did stop drinking (and smoking too) about 10 years ago which helped.
Anxieties and depression do go hand in hand Always, they're both major worries that tie in together very strongly, some are about things that haven't happened(and very likely never will), and some are about things that have(neither of which we can change much)
It all has to come from within.

They used to say in the oilfield when we were seemingly overcome, "get mad at it!"

Just don't go around angry all the time, it is after all, from within

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Medication is the only way I make it through the day. I take paxil daily and xanax when I have panic attacks (which is usually also daily). The slightest deviation from my daily routine sets me off.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Not sure if it's legal in your state but smoking CBD or medical might be good for you.... I know a lot of people who have the same anxiety and depression and it turned their life around for the better. It was like instant relief for them when they were stressing out really bad. CDB stuff is fairly cheap too. Around here you can buy a pre-rolled CBD joint for a whopping $2. Medical weed would be stronger and more relaxing though if you don't like CBD.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I've tried every CBD product I could find over the past couple years. None if it had any effect on me but I've heard many people claim its magical. Actual marijuana works wonders on me though. Every once in a while my friends wife will make me some cookies or something because I hate smoking the stuff. It calms me down better than xanax. I'm a big supporter of weed for anxiety and depression. It's not legal here though yet. (Supposedly this year it will be)

But it's not a replacement for medication if you need it.

Talk to your doctor. My sister has a PHD in neuro chemistry or something with a huge complicated title. She deals with brains and mostly studies conditions like PTSD. She explained it like this, although alot of psychological conditions like anxiety are caused by your life, stress etc it causes physiological changes in your brain that often can't be fixed without replacing the missing chemicals through proper medication. It's not something to be ashamed of. It's a medical condition. See your doctor and discuss your options. Therapy might help, meds, change in lifestyle, even diet. But your doctor is the best place to start.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My brother went thru it with his leukemia meds which among a long list of other things can cause heart problems. He said it was like having a bogus check engine light on. He knew there was nothing wrong... but what if there was?

He saw a dr and they helped him work thru it without additional meds.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I've slowly gotten to the point that anxiety has really taken root. For years I'd periodically escape to running as a therapy, but at the moment a lingering (and so far unexplained) leg problem has begun to take that away. Between three years of bizarre leg pain, marriage issues, job frustration, and a truck project I can't seem to get out from under, it's combined to occasionally get me to a point that I struggle to face the day. Not in a suicidal way, to be clear. More of a functionally shut down response. Every now and then I just have trouble doing -anything-. It's something I need to (and will) work through, but definitely a real issue at the moment. I've got another appointment with a doctor on Monday hoping to get xrays and MRI of my back soon. Maybe that will explain the physical symptoms and that can get things moving in the right direction again.

You're not alone for sure.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
As I get older, I tend to get anxiety a lot more than I used to. Hell, I used to never get it, now, it seems to be when pressure from the world comes down on top of me. I self medicate with pot. honestly, it does wonders for me, and it doesn't take much, just a couple of puffs, and in 20-30 minutes, I can function again. {Not saying it's for you, but it is for me}

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
If you’re not one for doctors and medication:
Baby steps... You have to retrain your mind on how it deals with things and that takes time and effort. You didn’t get like this overnight, don’t expect it to go away overnight. Set small goals, a little more each time.
Start with the goal of getting out of bed at a specific time. That’s it, that’s your goal for the day. Don’t pressure yourself to accomplish more that day, just think about the fact that you did what you set out to do that day. Do this for a while until you have a routine.
Next expand your routine... get up at your above mentioned time, then make your bed. Keep doing this everyday until it’s just “what you do”.
Expand a little more... Get up, make your bed, make breakfast.
Add another step at your own pace, when you feel comfortable at with your last step. Revel in your success, but don’t beat yourself if you slip along the way. You can always step back a level, slow your pace down, or try again tomorrow. Just keep at it. We got your back.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
some good advice here. I think for me what helps is to number one realize that you are getting anxious and take a step back. ask yourself why? what is bothering me? what can I do to fix it? is it simple? if it is simple, implement it. if it is difficult or multi steps, lay out a plan. write it down, including each step you need to do in the order it needs to be done to resolve it. follow those steps. If you can't do anything about it, ask yourself what is the real outcome, is it going to kill you or your family, is there a parallel way to get around it or solve it...

It took having an autistic son to put this in perspective to me, as anxiety is a huge part of his problem, and months of ABA therapy have helped that to a degree with the steps I listed above... Also his struggles really showed a lot of what I struggled with growing up and what I also see my wife struggling with even now. Genetics is a bitch lol.

AJ

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
Thanks for the advice guys I really am greatful.

Jim it would be great to have a beer with you buddy. Maybe this summer I'll catch a jet out there or road trip my beater 2.5 truck. Well see yet.

I think I'm going to implement the routine Idea. Start getting up at 10 everyday I'm a 2nd shift guy so I don't get home till midnight and don't go to sleep till 2/3 am.

I've slowly gotten to the point that anxiety has really taken root. For years I'd periodically escape to running as a therapy, but at the moment a lingering (and so far unexplained) leg problem has begun to take that away. Between three years of bizarre leg pain, marriage issues, job frustration, and a truck project I can't seem to get out from under, it's combined to occasionally get me to a point that I struggle to face the day. Not in a suicidal way, to be clear. More of a functionally shut down response. Every now and then I just have trouble doing -anything-. It's something I need to (and will) work through, but definitely a real issue at the moment. I've got another appointment with a doctor on Monday hoping to get xrays and MRI of my back soon. Maybe that will explain the physical symptoms and that can get things moving in the right direction again.

You're not alone for sure.
I totally understand what your saying with leg issues. Mine get so stiff and burn from time to time and I think it might be from Anxiety I just had a brain MRI and am awaiting the results its a mystery to say the least.

I have had this problem for the last few years but it hasn't been till the last 6-8 months that everything has gotten worse. Shortness of breath the whole lot.

I thought I was dying man times I wasn't sure if I was going to see the next morning.

And I had no idea that stress could do that to anyone.

When I sit and think through my life with no bias I noticed that I have always met life on my own terms. Done whatever I wanted to do all the time.
I have lived on my own for the last 3 years roughly. During that time I just have been flying by the seat of my pants not thinking things through. No routine just running amuck. I do work 40 hrs a week and that's been my only structure.

I have never made a budget or any of that you know I'm 24 what the hell is that?
Now that its getting to the point where I have to care about those things and learn them. Which to me I could care less ya know Im all about trucks and projects etc not desk work I never have been much for it.
Now that I'm realising this fact it hits so hard I have to force myself to learn these things and its just the worst. Especially since I have no routine to work in.

Its like to world is becoming all to real and I can't cope with it anymore it doesn't make sense a fear of the unknown... But I'm trying.

You guys don't know how much I appreciate your help and advice.

This is why I try to go out of my way to help a forum member.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I understand the second shift situation. I work 3:30 to midnight. When I get home the only noise I hear is my wife snoring and the cat jump off the bed and come running to the door... it’s quiet, but I’m still wide awake. I’m up until 3.
It’s not easy to work 2nd shift. I’m up at weird hours, I don’t get to see people, I never get time to hang out, my wife and kid only see me on weekends... but I’m doing what I have to do to pay the bills.
I make it a point to get up, get dressed, go get a porkroll, egg, and cheese sandwich every morning. I usually cook dinner for the family around 11. I have a routine, a purpose.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals