• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Needing a TV provider, tired of just PBS

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ah yeah, I also talked to an aunt who said her, well I don't recall which service but quite a few channels for 60 a month, I might try that out

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't Have TV. Just stream from Internet. And I barely watch anything but YouTube.

I stream with a Roku and watch the 'tube on tv though.

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
We have Roku for when we want to watch tv, otherwise I'm either on Youtube, Odysee, or Rumble.

EDIT: We also have an amplified digital antenna when we really have a need to watch broadcast TV. We get quite a few channels but rarely use it.

Last edited:

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
I have antenna for my local channels, I get 12 channels from that. And then I stream every from our phones to the tv. Works ok. Our antenna gets all the majors, news, PBS, fox and something else. We have amazon prime so we get stuff there. We have a Roku smart tv so when its connected to the phones, it gets a lot of channels. Last time I checked dish and the other one don't even have local channels anymore.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yeah, I had three channels for the longest time, should still have them now but the two network stations dropped out and in emails they didn't give a care so the last 2 or 3 years or so it's only been PBS.
Three stations was fine long as I got the news and weather and football games

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
This website, TV Fool: https://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29

It will tell you what free channels are available at your location and from what direction and what size and type of antenna you will need

All over the air channels are digital now, so to get PBS you must have a digital tuner

Digital channels still use Analog Carriers, VHF are channels 2 to 13, these go farther but need a larger antenna for the longer waves
UHF, channels 14 to 83, don't travel as far, are cheaper to broadcast and use shorter waves so can use smaller antennas

UHF is, of course, the most popular for broadcasters, lol

An analog carrier can have 1 to 8 digital channels on it, that's where the digital tuner comes in, it tunes the analog carrier, like channel 3 or 33, then looks for a signal that tells it how many channel "packets" are in the carrier and what format to use to "decode/unpack" them

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Y ou are right on that Ron, I think they bailed on the long range and if they do still broadcast local it is VERY local, they used to be nearly in a competition of who could cover the area best, and now they dont even care, because they are not making large sums of money broadcasting a wide area to someone who isn't paying cable prices ;)

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Fiber optic internet and prime, Hulu and Disney +. No need for cable or satellite.

But like Eric and 85, my main media consumption is youtube. I occasionally watch a show or movie on the streaming platforms.

AJ

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Unless you live further from civilization than I do local programming is free. Given that most of it is garbage or re runs it is still free. All that's required is an antenna. I get 35 channels or so.
Only 35? That's it? I get garbage from three TV markets (Sacramento, Chico and San Francisco) and there is so much garbage that it takes a week to delete all the garbage channels after doing a scan.

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
Only 35? That's it? I get garbage from three TV markets (Sacramento, Chico and San Francisco) and there is so much garbage that it takes a week to delete all the garbage channels after doing a scan.
I did mention I live a far piece from civilization. If that's what we call it. 😁

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
like everyone else, I stream too. I'm late to the party for that though. We're rural so it's either through the phone or satellite. Choices are slim, but I've bee a Hughes Net customer for a looooong time - work picked up the tab.
I've had Dish and Direct -both got too expensive and you a kabillion shopping channels and very little good content and have to pay extra for local channels and sports.
I have ChromeCast - like Firestick and the others. Same principle.

I really think the way to go is via phone with unlimited data. We have Verizon and they offer packages that include some premium networks like Disney Plus and a couple of others - but I haven't gotten to that point yet.

Currently we get 100 gig /month and haven't hit that mark yet. Still do not get local news or sports.
Good luck in your search.

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
Y ou are right on that Ron, I think they bailed on the long range and if they do still broadcast local it is VERY local, they used to be nearly in a competition of who could cover the area best, and now they dont even care, because they are not making large sums of money broadcasting a wide area to someone who isn't paying cable prices ;)
weird, My stations are over 50 miles away and some pretty good hills blocking them and I'm still able to get them in. I have my antenna pointed at spokane but Idaho channels are out of Coeur Dalene. So some times I have to turn my antenna a little bit to get PBS. All my new channels are out of spokane. I'm pretty far and still get a decent amount of them.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have a 100 antenna up in the attic on a 50 ft cable and have tried moving it around but to no avail.
This was not an imaginary signal that I was hoping to find, it was a years old signal which the TV stations (2) decided to physically discontinue, forcing what ones might choose to "upgrade" (pay) to see, commercials included, or what ones may choose to watch the clouds go by, as there are obviously no incentives remaining which says they must provide local programming in such a way as to have them turn the local signal back on the air, I think at one time there were fines

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
I have an antenna, i get 50 channels. I also have Roku, which has a ton of free tv available, and streaming.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals