• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Can't get front speakers to work with new stereo.

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I am unable to get the front speakers to work on a 2007 XLT. After looking over other threads it appears I'm experiencing the same issue people have when installing an aftermarket stereo with a factory amp. When I bought the truck it was mentioned to me that it has a factory amp, but only for the front. The front speakers work if I plugh the factory stereo plugged back in with hardly any audio from the back speakers. With the new stereo there is absolutely no audio from the front speakers, but the rear speakers are much louder than with the stock stereo, which appears to be consistent with what I was told when I bought the truck. I did check the front and rear fader, so that's not a problem. I used a Metra 70-1771 wiring harness to wire it up to the Alpine. Alpine and Metra use the same colors on their wiring, so it's wired correctly. One thing I did notice is that the Metra wiring harness leaves out pins 2, 3, and 4. The harness in the dash has wiring for pins 2 and 3. I tried the remote wires on the Alpine on both those wires. It didn't activate the amp. Also, I'm unable to locate the amp. I've read it's mostl likey under the rear passenger speaker. Ford parts has a diagram that has mounted by the passenger seatbelt behind the seat. Someone else found the amp under the passenger seat. Another found it by the fuse box on the passneger site, and there was mention of two other locations behind the dash. I've looked in all those ares to see if I can locate the amp and maybe figure out the wire colors.

Does anyone know what wire or pin activates the amp and where it's supposed to be located?

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
Might have to wire around the factory amp.

Just run the fronts on their own from the stereo

Reactions: gaz

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Might have to wire around the factory amp.

Just run the fronts on their own from the stereo
I'm trying to avoid that for the short term. I plan to upgrade the speakers and amp in the future.

I managed to find a service manual for the stock radio with a pinout. The Metra wiring harness doesn't have pin 16 which is the power amp ground.

DEH2237ZF_connector_diagram.png

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
At least once with Rangers, I have had to re-pin the Metra harness because it didn't match up with the actual vehicle wiring harness. I am guessing that is what is going on here for you.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
thats a bummer they left out the amp power. it seems weird

how many rangers came with amps? is there a specific trim or stereo to look for to have the amp?

my 2004 had the cd player stereo with front and rear speakers (even though its a single cab). i wonder if mine has the amp?

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I called Metra about the missing pin. It was insisted that was removed in 2013 because it is not needed.

I looked for the amp today and couldn't find it. There are plenty of posts regarding factory amps in a variety of locations. It is really looking like I will have to run some wires directly to the new stereo. I was really hoping I could bypass the amp and not have to go through the trouble of running wires right now. If I'm going to do that I'm going to buy some speakers so I can replace the stock ones while I have the door panels off. I just need to figure out what is a good speaker to buy. This is hard to do when there isn't anywhere I can listen to the speakers. Then, at some point in the future, upgrade the speakers behind the seat because they sound terrible. But, that may have something to do with the hollow space around them which is plastic and sheet metal.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
You mentioned that there are two connectors on the vehicle side harness that the Metra adapter harness doesn't contact. One is labelled as amp ground - what's the other?

Also - have you tried connecting the amp ground wire directly to ground on the chassis?

Edit/also #2 - did the truck come with the Pioneer system?

Last edited:

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I tried all the unused pins. No luck. I happened to drive past a car audio store and went in to ask them. Their documentation states it should be under the driver seat, but no amp there. Their documentation also states the amp connected through an 8 pin plug. No 8 pin plug. I did notice one wire that is on the same harness as the speaker behind the driver's set that appears to go along the top of the back panel. I'll have to investigate that. Otherwise, it looks like I may have to run speaker wires to the front doors.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
It's a matter of what wire triggers the amp. I have the premium sound system (Radio w/CD player & MP3). I was told I have an amp for the front only. I suppose it's possible that information is wrong. If so, why will audio not pass through to the speakers unless the OEM radio is plugged in?

I took a look at Chilton's Online to view diagrams for 2007 and 2008. Color codes on mine match 2008, but I didn't have any luck trying the relevant wires.

mtnrgr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6" Skyjacker, with 1.5" coil spacers, custom radius arms, custom traction bars
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
Lord God is my guardian
Your ranger came with a premium sound system? You should have an amp, I remember on the 90's rangers the amp location was behind the rear trim panel. Remove the rear speakers and it should be behind the speaker and should be mounted in there. It will be a real small unit.

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I figured it out. There doesn't appear to be an amplifier. The problem was the connector that goes into the back of the stereo has pins that don't show continuity to the wire. It just happened to be one wire on the front left and both on the front right. I ran a trial run using a connector from a really old Alpine I have and both front and back work. And although the clarity of the sound is better, it's obvious the stock speakers and stereo are tuned for each other. So, I need to do research on speakers and maybe an amp.

So, this is a reminder that when something doesn't work right, never forget to diagnose the most trivial items.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Glad you got it working.

Can you share the wiring diagrams you found for your Ranger? I'll add them to our tech library.

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Apologies, posted in wrong thread. Getting older sucks. :LOL:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals