• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
There are certainly different ways to care for your battery/connections.

I don't like the spray either. It's a dust magnet... and gives zero chance to keep the top of your battery clean.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
IMHO... those felt "anti-corrosion" washers do nothing but promote corrosion. They're like little sponges.

I just keep the top of my battery clean. Give it a good wipe a few times a year when the hood is open.
If you use the felt washers, use the namebrand washers from an auto parts store in a package. They are treated, and it’s actually the treatment that dissipates the corrosion.

The green and red felt washers you can buy online “open box” or in a bag are just felt washers that aren’t treated. If you get them, and rub them in baking soda, they do a decent job of keeping corrosion down.

But @ericbphoto ‘s approach is the best.

EDIT: afterthought, but if the top of my batteries get yucky, I sprinkle baking soda on top of them, and then scrub them with a scrub brush like you do use in the sink or on your tires. It takes the yuck away in a second.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
i drove and picked up some supplies to install the new sink, countertop, garbage disposal, and dish washer in the kitchen. got home and grabbed wrong angle stops but luckily i had the correct ones in the junk bins and they were still in the packages. now, maybe this weekend i will drive and pick up breakers and wiring to run new lines for the stuff tha is being added. the house is from 1942 and there is 1 electrical plug per room, which has sucked so far

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
My problem with the explorers is with the parasitic drains with all the fancy junk on them (air shocks are the main culprit I think, with the modules that drive them) and me only having one slow charger/maintainer. I don't always park close enough to power... for those two rigs I'll probably just get dedicated float chargers...

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
My problem with the explorers is with the parasitic drains with all the fancy junk on them (air shocks are the main culprit I think, with the modules that drive them) and me only having one slow charger/maintainer. I don't always park close enough to power... for those two rigs I'll probably just get dedicated float chargers...
Just an afterthought comment, my old junk has very little that’s electronic, so those cheap trickle chargers work just fine. I think the reason the second battery died on the Road Ranger when I was doing the interior work was because the trickle charger was trying to keep up with the doors being open, etc. I don’t think they’re geared for that kind of thing.

The Battery Tender Jr. is pretty rugged though. The cheap ones generally last me a year or two. I’ve had that battery tender Junior for probably 10 years, and it is my go to trickle charger if I have the slightest doubt.

And I’ll just re-emphasize that I took about 20 feet of lamp cord and spliced it into the 110 side of one of those little chargers with no issues whatsoever. I have outlets everywhere, including outside, but there are two places where I park that I need the extra reach.

You know the drill, no criticism here. If you think of the “effort” in putting a couple together, it’s one millionth the effort of fighting a dead battery or replacing it.

My two cents. Hope it helps.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you use the felt washers, use the namebrand washers from an auto parts store in a package. They are treated, and it’s actually the treatment that dissipates the corrosion.

The green and red felt washers you can buy online “open box” or in a bag are just felt washers that aren’t treated. If you get them, and rub them in baking soda, they do a decent job of keeping corrosion down.
I got the bucket of black NOCO ones last time I bought some. Treated and enough to do all my stuff with some left over.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I don't like the spray either. It's a dust magnet... and gives zero chance to keep the top of your battery clean.
Again, the NOCO stuff is latest I used. The protection spray goes on and dries. I've only used it on my car so far, but I drive it daily and haven't seen where it attracts/collects more dust than any thing else in the engine bay.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I don't always park close enough to power... for those two rigs I'll probably just get dedicated float chargers...
And I’ll just re-emphasize that I took about 20 feet of lamp cord and spliced it into the 110 side of one of those little chargers with no issues whatsoever. I have outlets everywhere, including outside, but there are two places where I park that I need the extra reach.
For stuff too far from an outlet have y'all considered a cheap solar panel. A 25-30 watt panel is going to put out about the same as those little trickle chargers and should be enough for maintaining a battery.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
For stuff too far from an outlet have y'all considered a cheap solar panel. A 25-30 watt panel is going to put out about the same as those little trickle chargers and should be enough for maintaining a battery.

How about a windmill??!?

😜

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Again, the NOCO stuff is latest I used. The protection spray goes on and dries. I've only used it on my car so far, but I drive it daily and haven't seen where it attracts/collects more dust than any thing else in the engine bay.
There are multiple ways to skin the cat...

I've only used the Permatex stuff... it remains tacky... it collects everything.

I still believe that stuff is snake oil. An add on sale they get you to spring for after you just spent money cleaning up corroded connections or replacing a battery/cables/cable ends. I think all that preventative stuff just funnels all the corrosive stuff to exactly where you don't want it.

I'll stick to just keeping my battery clean... it works well for me.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
:dntknw:To each their own. Noone has tried to sell it to me. I have used it on my battery and it seems to work.
How about a windmill??!?

😜
You could use a bicycle generator for all I care. I was just presenting solar as a feasible and practical trickle charging option where a power outlet wasn't available. We use around 100w of solar to keep battery charged up on our hunting club camper year round, but that needs more capacity since it's actually charging a drained battery. For just maintaining a battery that is charged, a 25 watt unit from harbor freight will likely do the job. Not super cheap, but costs less than adding an outlet, and it's solar so nothing added to the power bill.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
:dntknw:To each their own. Noone has tried to sell it to me. I have used it on my battery and it seems to work.

You could use a bicycle generator for all I care. I was just presenting solar as a feasible and practical trickle charging option where a power outlet wasn't available. We use around 100w of solar to keep battery charged up on our hunting club camper year round, but that needs more capacity since it's actually charging a drained battery. For just maintaining a battery that is charged, a 25 watt unit from harbor freight will likely do the job. Not super cheap, but costs less than adding an outlet, and it's solar so nothing added to the power bill.
I was just being contrary…

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo

Hey, I’m sorry. Sometimes I can be a real Butthead when I’m trying to make a joke. I just meant a little humor in the current political climate.

I don’t know much about solar cells, but I suspect you were entirely correct.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hey, I’m sorry. Sometimes I can be a real Butthead when I’m trying to make a joke. I just meant a little humor in the current political climate.

I don’t know much about solar cells, but I suspect you were entirely correct.
Don't worry, wasn't thinking that you were. I didn't know if you realized that I was being serious though.

In other note the V8 swap can officially be called done!

Last I posted (about the truck) I think was Tuesday and we just got it running. Wednesday Dad put in a new O2 sensor, but that's all that got done due to various Dr appointments. Thursday while I was at work Dad worked on filling up the other fluids, and got it back on the ground. After work we finished filling up the fluids and took it for first test drive with the V8. Found a loose plug wire which helped a bunch and chocked the rest up to no exhaust and needing to relearn.

Was going to have parents drop it at exhaust shop this morning, but that didn't quite work out as expected. Dad was hurting and had to take one of his good pain pills. I ended up taking the day and getting it there myself, and it was probably a good thing. About a 15 minute drive on interstate and it started out good, but half way it got very unhappy again. Backfiring to the point that we went back with a trailer to pick it up. Also good that I was there because my plan for exhaust didn't go how I wanted and needed some rethinking. Ended up with a 2 into 1 Flowmaster with turn down just ahead of the axle.

What sucks is that I could have driven it home from the shop of AutoZone had done the scanner right. After getting off the interstate on the way to the shop I stopped there to use their scanner. They only showed one code, P0171, Bank one lean. After getting it home I connected my scanner and it also had a P0302 and P0303, that they didn't show me in their computer. Had to be there the first time as truck only moved a mile after the first scan. After getting home I found that the #2 & #3 plug wires were crossed.

Running great now. Next I need to figure out why AC clutch isn't engaging, fix a wheel speed sensor on passenger side, move the tach wire in the cluster, and probably pull the 4x4 bulbs unless I can find another method to disable them.

5pm Edit: Wheel speed sensor appears fixed (new sensor) and it looks like I have a bad low pressure switch on the AC. Power to both sides of AC relay like it should be. Get power to low pressure switch, continuity is good between there and high pressure switch, but I never get 12v to high pressure switch.

Sig is changed, profile is changed, now I just need to figure out how to add the banner. Maybe I need to be in the computer instead of the phone?

Last edited:

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Congratulations!

I don’t know the mechanics like you guys, but I can confirm crossing a couple of spark, plug wires will make it run funny.

Question. Is the two into one with a turn down just a temporary to get it on the road? I can’t imagine putting a V-8 into anything without the confirming melody that comes out of dual exhausts…

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals