• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Counterfeit auto part?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I always keep reading/hearing about counterfeit parts being peddled on Ebay, Amazon, and elsewhere (often oil filters, but other things too), so I've always tried to buy from retail establishments when possible...

So I bought this heater control valve for a '98 Ranger 4.0L from a local O'Reilly Auto for $29.99.
The box label says "Majority content made in USA", but on the valve itself is a sticker that says "Made in Mexico", and the valve lacks any Ford or Motorcraft markings (it does have an apparent Ford pt# embossed on it that (almost) matches the # on the box label).
The "Motorcraft" font on the box also seems slightly different than what I remember (but I also know things like that can be revised over time).

IMG_0001.jpgIMG_0002.jpgIMG_0005.jpgIMG_0004.jpg

The part does seem to be made decently enough, but I was looking for genuine Motorcraft...
Was I duped?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It looks legit to me.

One time we were in a bind at work and ordered a Standard brand coil from O'Rielly. Generally we considered Standard very less than awesome. Low and behold there was a brand new Mopar coil in the standard box.

Ford doesn't have factories to make this stuff, I think if the factory runs out of the correctly marked part they are not above grabbing another identical but different branded part to fill the order.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I always keep reading/hearing about counterfeit parts being peddled on Ebay, Amazon, and elsewhere (often oil filters, but other things too), so I've always tried to buy from retail establishments when possible...

So I bought this heater control valve for a '98 Ranger 4.0L from a local O'Reilly Auto for $29.99.
The box label says "Majority content made in USA", but on the valve itself is a sticker that says "Made in Mexico", and the valve lacks any Ford or Motorcraft markings (it does have an apparent Ford pt# embossed on it that (almost) matches the # on the box label).
The "Motorcraft" font on the box also seems slightly different than what I remember (but I also know things like that can be revised over time).

View attachment 108528View attachment 108529View attachment 108533View attachment 108534

The part does seem to be made decently enough, but I was looking for genuine Motorcraft...
Was I duped?
That's probably just as genuine as the part you would have purchased from a Ford dealer. Motorcraft farms out replacement parts just like every one else, especially on a vehicle this age. Both labels could very well be true depending on how they classify the majority content.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I just bought a pair if motorcraft timing chain tensioners for my 4.0L SOHC... from a Ford dealer that listed on eBay.

To my surprise... they come not in a motorcraft box... but a Ford box and one in a plastic bag. Neither had the sealing washers. Says made in Italy.... I guess better then made in China.

20240403_203649.jpg

I also bought a Motorcraft IAC for my 2.9L.. says made in Mexico. I was suspicious of that... but it works.

Also a cap... rotor and spark plugs... all from Mexico. I'm suspicious of all of it even with correct box... but markings that seem off.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I have heard stories about big box stores occasionally getting counterfit parts but it generally isn't a common thing to be worried about like it is on amazon or ebay. So, you probably got a legit part.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Everything is a crapshoot anymore, everyone is outsourcing everything, parts that have been good and solid and readily available for 20 years are now being discontinued or being made cheaper and completely useless even from reputable manufacturers...

I'm with 85 on the SMP thing, it's iffy, some of their parts are perfectly fine and good, others are junk, same with Dorman and everyone else...

Keep your expectations low on anything and be pleasantly surprised if it works well! That and buying the best parts within reason that you can find...

2011Supercab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota Tacoma
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The box label says "Majority content made in USA", but on the valve itself is a sticker that says "Made in Mexico",
What it really says "Most pieces made in USA" and "Assembled and packaged in Mexico"

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I just bought a pair if motorcraft timing chain tensioners for my 4.0L SOHC... from a Ford dealer that listed on eBay.

To my surprise... they come not in a motorcraft box... but a Ford box and one in a plastic bag. Neither had the sealing washers. Says made in Italy.... I guess better then made in China.

View attachment 108540

I also bought a Motorcraft IAC for my 2.9L.. says made in Mexico. I was suspicious of that... but it works.

Also a cap... rotor and spark plugs... all from Mexico. I'm suspicious of all of it even with correct box... but markings that seem off.
The 4.0 sohc is from Europe, Italy's in Europe so it makes sense.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Alright, cool. Appreciate the reassurance!
Yeah I've had plenty of parts in bags too. The discrepancy in where it was made is mostly what got me suspicious. (someone's left hand at Motorcraft's labeling dept. apparently needs to communicate better with their right hand lol). Interesting that Ford doesn't use their logos on parts anymore, according to the video (I was also used to always seeing at least the Ford oval on parts).

Thanks guys! I'll go ahead and install this thing then. :cool:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals