Search results

1. Oil pump recommendations

Hey guys! I'm about to change the oil pan gasket in my truck, and I figured, might as well replace the 30 year old (and probably caked up with crap) oil pump. I caught a few quick mentions of guys using higher volume/pressure pumps in a 2.9, but I haven't been able to find them again to double...
  2. Tachometer showing wrong RPM

My 89 2.9 has this strange problem with the tachometer. When I first start it, usually when cold, the tach will give me a reading nearly 2,000 higher than it really is. It usually normalizes later on, but it's pretty annoying. Any idea what's up?
  3. Warning Chime Repair

If you don't hate the warning chime, and are sad that yours no longer gives you the warning that you're about to lock your keys in the car or leave the lights on overnight (again), then this article from the explorer forum may help you out! I took my chime off and found out that mine has the...
  4. ABS diagnostics 89

Anyone know off the top of their head where the diagnostic wire is for the abs system on an 89 ranger? The service manual says it's a black/orange wire that I need to ground out to get the flashback codes. I can't find this wire for the life of me. Thanks guys!
  5. Adding turn signal sound

I upgraded my turn signals to LEDs and bought the electronic flashers to handle them. Unfortunately, the electronic flashers are 100% silent. I really miss my turn signal sound (I even had the super loud flashers on before the swap!). Does anybody know how to add an artificial sound back into my...
  6. 1983-92 Third Brake Light Upgrade

Original Poster: Nez'sRanger Difficulty: 2 out of 10 Time to install: 40 mins to 1 Hr Disclaimer: The Ranger Station.com, The Ranger Station.com Staff, nor the original poster are responsible for you doing this modification to your vehicle. By doing this modification and following this how-to...
  7. 2.9 Transmission options

I've been pondering future mods for my 2.9, which is currently paired with a FM146. I know the M5OD is better, but are there other manual transmissions out there that will bolt on to a 2.9? I know, I'm probably dreaming, and the 2.9 probably wouldn't have enough torque for it anyway, but how...
  8. Tripminder Question

Okay, this is a dumb question, but does anyone know how to set the clock/calendar on a tripminder from a mid 80's Crown Victoria? I installed one in my 89 Ranger, and can't figure it out... I would also like to know how to reset the digital tripometer... Thanks! Granted, it's not receiving the...
  9. 2008 Ford Escape power steering issues

Hey guys, my dad's 08 escape had a torque sensor malfunction in the steering column... Were working on fixing that, but I was wondering how hard it would be to put a standard hydraulic power steering system in. From what I've read and experienced, the EPAS system in these escapes are notorious...
  10. Air Charge Temperature Sensor

I have a 89 2.9 Ranger, and the air charge temp sensor is on the plenum. I noticed on a 92 2.3 that they put it in the air cleaner box. I've heard it said that this gives the EEC a more accurate temperature calculation. Were I to relocate it on my 2.9, would my EEC be able to properly adapt to...
  11. Low power in 4th gear

I have an 89 Ranger with a 2.9 and a FM146 tranny (4x4). I noticed that it has plenty of torque/power in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, but when I put it in 4th, it feels like the power gets sucked out... The engine even sounds different, almost like it's bogged down. 5th gear is also fine. In fact, when...
  12. 2.9 and 4.0 Interchangeability

Over the past couple months reading as much as I can on my 2.9 Ranger, I came across a few posts that mentioned parts that are interchangable on 2.9's and 4.0's like the starters and clutches. I know the 4.0 is in the same family as the 2.9, so my question is, how similar are the two? Are the...
  13. More efficient alternator/power usage

I have an 89 2.9 ranger. I notice that the alternator struggles to handle both my headlights and my heater on full blast. I intend to convert to full LEDs to reduce power use (and cause they're brighter and cooler). I would like to know if there are any higher efficiency/newer alternators that I...
  14. Hazards stop working when brakes are applied (92 Ranger)

Hey all! At work I drive a 92 regular cab XLT 2.3L ranger. When I turn my hazards on and then apply my brakes, the hazards stop flashing until I release the brake. I checked on my personal Ranger (an 89 super cab, 2.9L), and it's hazards work great even with the brake applied. Anybody else...
  15. MAF conversion 2.9

I am considering doing a MAF conversion on my 2.9. Just to clarify, I did read the tech article. I live in California, and would prefer the CA emissions package on my truck to avoid as much headache on smog day as possible. Also, I read in the tech article that this conversion makes it idle much...
  16. Throttle Cable Fix

My 89's throttle cable was stretched by nearly 0.800", so that didn't allow me to open the throttle nearly as far as it should have. That killed me going uphill, when she needed more gas! I read the Tech article about putting zip-ties on the cable to take the slack out, and liked it, but mine...
  17. Coverlay Dash Cover 89 Ranger

Just got a coverlay dash cover for my 89 ranger. As you can see, my old one looks like the San Andreas Fault runs through it! Ha! Dash swap wasn't an option, and this looked promising. I couldn't find anyone else on here that did it, so I went for it! I've yet to permanently install it, but I'm...
  18. Brake light and ABS light on

My 89 Ranger has a broken parking brake switch, so my indicator light is always on (by always, I mean usually)... However, my ABS indicator light is also on. It seems to turn on only when my brake light is on and turns off when it's off too. Does anyone know if those two lights are somewhat...