Search results

1. Shran

Coverlay door panels

I see that you can now get aftermarket door panels for 1st and 2nd gen RBVs as well as 1st gen Explorers. Has anyone tried these and if so what do you think? I may order a set of 1st gen ones if I can't find a decent junkyard set (which may be impossible now.) Mine are godawful ratty. Would...
  2. Shran

Low voltage frustration - electric shift 4x4

Just wanted to share a tip about the troubleshooting the shift module/motor/switch: I followed the module troubleshooting guide to the end and everything tested fine... Until I got to the part where you test for 12v at the t-case. I had 4.7 volts and no motor movement. I figured that the module...
  3. Shran

1994 Explorer Sport

Location: Rapid City, SD Quick details: 1994 Explorer Sport, 4.0 V6, automatic, 234k miles, runs and drives good. 3.73 gears, open diffs, electric shift 4x4. More information: I have been slowly collecting parts and building this Explorer for several years with the intention of offroad racing...
  4. Shran

Stepside 1st gen

I held off posting this for a variety of reasons - first and foremost, I was trying to buy it (and I did buy it yesterday) and did not want to generate a bunch of interest and simply out of respect for the owner. So here it is. What I can tell you is that it is NOT a genuine Ford product - the...
  5. Shran

4.0 OHV lower intake manifold gaskets

Do 1990-1996 4.0's have a different lower intake than 97-01? Or are they the same? This is concerning OHV engines only. The reason I am asking is because I have been using Felpro MS94682 for lower intake jobs. They work fine. But RockAuto had Felpro MS90728 on clearance and listed as an...
  6. Shran

I bought a High Rider...

... and y'all are just gonna have to wait for pics :thefinger: That said, it's an '88, single cab, short box. 2.9, FM146, 1350 electric shift. Has a lot of options, including power windows, AC, and had the factory fog lights and possibly roll bar but those are long gone. It is also a GA...
  7. Shran

Need 86-88 short box single cab 4x4 gas tank

All of my research shows so far that this fuel tank is just simply not available, has anyone found one recently? Specifically a 15.2 gallon tank for a 108" wheelbase 4x4 truck. The 17 gallon 2wd tank apparently will not work. I don't remember my tank being rusty at all when I pulled it and...
  8. Shran

4.0 OHV engines

I have two spare 4.0 engines if anyone in the area is looking. #1 came from a 1992 Ranger that had severe rust/rodent damage and a bad transmission. It ran good, had a very mild lifter tick at startup. Needs the usual seals replaced. Have video of this one running. No clue on miles, truck...
  9. Shran

Irritating '89 Ranger brake issue

I need some opinions on what is going on here. The scenario is that I have D35 and 8.8 swapped my '89 Ranger and the brakes are just spongy as hell when the engine is running - pedal feels good with the engine off. New parts include front calipers, hoses, everything in the rear including wheel...
  10. Shran

Ranger GT alert

If anyone is looking... I know of a Ranger GT for sale that will unfortunately end up in the scrap yard soon, according to the owner. It is a 1988, red exterior, red interior, 2.9 V6, auto trans, 2wd. The body is in pretty good shape except for a broken grille and big dent on the driver's side...
  11. Shran

WTB: Dana 35 4.10 center section

I need a Dana 35 center section with 4.10 gears. Just the complete housing w/ gears & carrier - I imagine this will not be a local item and I have a ton of extra shafts and stuff so no need to spend extra on shipping those. Haven't had any luck finding 4.10's in the junkyard. Rear axles in...
  12. Shran

4.0 swap wiring insanity

The recipient is a 1989 Ranger that was a 2.9/5 speed/4x4 truck. No power options except cruise. No AC. The donor was a 1994 Explorer with a 4.0, auto, electric 4x4, and almost all power options. (PW, PL, power seats, and premium radio amp. No DRL or the Limited options.) The Ranger...
  13. Shran

1994 Explorer 4 door 5 speed

Uncommon truck - 1994 Explorer 4 door with a 5 speed manual, manual t-case. 167,762 actual miles. Located in Rapid City, SD Price: $2500 OBO New clutch, slave cylinder, master cylinder, flywheel resurfaced, spark plugs, fuel pump, fuel filter, several door handles. Runs/drives well. Engine...
  14. Shran

AC parts swap from 94 Explorer into 92 Explorer

My nice 1992 Explorer has non functional R12 AC. There is a leak somewhere, the system is pretty much empty. The other Explorer I have, a 1994, is undergoing race mode mods and AC will be removed completely. It is currently functional and charged with R134a. See what I'm getting at? Use as...
  15. Shran

C5 behind 4.0 tech tips

I just did this swap in my race Explorer, which had an M5OD. This is apparently not commonly done, and poorly documented, probably because C5's are very hard to find these days, but here are some tips for the process. C5's are found in really early Bronco II's, 84 and some 85's and possibly...
  16. Shran

"Dose" the ultra cheap offroad race Explorer

So I have always wanted to build an Explorer to race, Baja style, and with that goal in mind I have been saving parts since I got into RBVs in 2008. It seems like such a good platform to build off of - throw some D44 knuckles out on the D35, redo the 8.8 for 5x5.5 bolt pattern, ditch the...
  17. Shran

Got a new tow rig

The old 85 F250 has treated me alright over the years but it's getting to be a fairly clean truck compared to most and I hate to put it out on salty winter roads, plus being carbureted, with the worst heater ever, with the most smog choked engine ever, is not real pleasant at times. So I have...
  18. Shran

4.0/C5 swap kickdown cable or linkage

I'm hoping someone here has put a C5 or C4 behind a 4.0 and can chime in - what did you use for a kickdown cable? I have done a lot of reading on various forums and the conclusion is that almost everyone is either running a manual valve body or simply leaving the kickdown out completely. I...
  19. Shran

Mystery 7.5 axle

So I picked up a really cheap 1998 Ranger that has an interesting rear axle in it. The guy I got it from originally wanted to buy one of my spare 7.5's because he had broken whatever was in it, but ended up buying one from elsewhere. The story I got was that he went through somewhere around 4...
  20. Shran

460 F250 sputter, backfire under load

I guess it is that time of year again where I need to use my F250 and of course there is something wrong with it. This time it is just running weird. It will sit and idle nice and smooth, and seems to be fine at any RPM when the truck is stopped. However if I am on the highway it just falls...