Search results

1. Shran

31 spline FX4 Level 2 replacement question

I'd like to see a weight comparison between say, an FX4 8.8 fully dressed and a narrow 9" with disc brakes. I bet they're very close. Have you looked at the Yukon Ultimate 88 kit? Just a thought but you could dump the FX4 axle and build an Explorer axle instead...since you're putting gears in...
  2. Shran

31 spline FX4 Level 2 replacement question

I think you'll be fine with stock shafts in a street application. Offroad I'd be worried about it a little with 400hp but that's not the case here. May want to think about a custom 9" or something like that if you make much more power though. 8.8s are fairly stout but have their limitations...
  3. Shran

8.8 axle swap?

Yeah, he could be running toothpicks for axle shafts and be fine... 7.5s are very durable in a more or less stock vehicle. My only point was that there is no real good reason to swap from a 7.5 to a 28 spline 8.8 unless you have it laying around and your 7.5 is broken. You really gain nothing.
  4. Shran

1996 2.3 L weird ticking and exhaust suggestions

Sure sounds like pinging to me too. Have you tried running slightly higher octane fuel? All of the 2.3s I've had would ping under a heavy load but I only run 87 octane. The only thing that is confusing to me is how you said it slowly drops off if you let it return to idle - usually pinging...
  5. Shran

Coleman Liquid Fuel

eBay? Maybe? I don't know. I'd be kinda surprised if you actually needed a new generator, I have used some REALLY crusty ones in lanterns that work fine. Soaking them in vinegar for a few hours and then cleaning with a brush, compressed air, and carburetor cleaner helps. Sounds to me like...
  6. Shran

'95 Hydraulic Clutch(5 spd) reuse on a '71 Toploader(4 spd) ??

^ what he said. Bore size is critical. I used my factory master cylinder and a Speedway slave... pedal is rather stiff. I had a Land Cruiser slave before and it was VERY stiff. It will take some experimentation... the clutch springs, length of the clutch fork, and other factors will come...
  7. Shran

Pinion nut torque and flange play

I don't think it's going to tell you much. It's used for setting up gears, it would give you an idea of their contact pattern but it won't help find a bearing noise.
  8. Shran

Coverlay door panels

Rock Auto has them under the Interior section for each vehicle, under Door Panel. Also available on eBay at much higher prices. They're not quite identical to the originals but are close enough that I would not care. Fit and finish are more important - I acquired one of those plastic dash...
  9. Shran

Coverlay door panels

I see that you can now get aftermarket door panels for 1st and 2nd gen RBVs as well as 1st gen Explorers. Has anyone tried these and if so what do you think? I may order a set of 1st gen ones if I can't find a decent junkyard set (which may be impossible now.) Mine are godawful ratty. Would...
  10. Shran

Snake oil

Heet is about the only additive I'd use... and it's more of a preventative measure than a cure... I dump a bottle in about halfway through winter and don't seem to have any issues. I think it was more of a necessity in the carburetor era than it is now. I do know a guy who used some high end...
  11. Shran

Coleman Liquid Fuel

Cool! That turned out great. I'm sure he'll like it. I was just talking to my dad about my lantern collection and he said that he recently gave away all of his Coleman gear... oh well. I recently overhauled a 220E and a 286 (aka CL-1.) The 286 suffered from the infamous melted plastic...
  12. Shran

8.8 axle swap?

If it's a 28 spline 8.8, there is zero reason to swap one in. Way better to find one from an Explorer. Bigger shafts, bigger tubes, 10" drums or discs for sure.
  13. Shran

Using mismatched drop bracket holes?

To me it looks like the drivers side is a degree or two negative and the passenger side is positive by a bit more. I'd try subtracting spacers from the passenger side and adding to the drivers side. That and/or camber bushings should fix that right up.
  14. Shran

1978 Ford F150 Ranger XLT Classic Truck

Yeah, I'm with ya. They are my favorite Ford body style by far. I like the early dent side grille better than the later ones but it's so hard to find one that's not full of holes. There's a few running around town with no floor left... I'm shocked that the cab doesn't collapse. I've had a...
  15. Shran

Using mismatched drop bracket holes?

I had to put three 1/4" spacers under my driver's side coil in my Explorer to correct the sagging body on that side. Personally, I'd rather add or subtract spacers under the coils rather than use different holes on the drop brackets, but that's just me.
  16. Shran

1978 Ford F150 Ranger XLT Classic Truck

I think there were changes in the metals or paints or something throughout the dent side era that affected how they rusted. Seems to me that the previous gen was about average for rust and then '73 was REALLY bad. '74 was better, 75-77 were actually pretty good, and 78-79 (and...
  17. Shran

Pinion nut torque and flange play

Kinda hard to explain without being there but if the pinion turns freely and there's no slop there, in theory, that would eliminate that area. You're not gonna be able to see much if you pull the cover but you could at least inspect the oil for metal shavings. Both pinion bearings are hidden...
  18. Shran

More Dana 35 bullsh*t

I'd probably use JB weld to fill up that hole instead of silicone but either would be fine. Even liquid nails would work.
  19. Shran

is the 2.9 to 4.0 swap worth it

That's debatable. Supposedly 93 and newer have better heads. 93 and newer could potentially also have a cam position sensor which is not a deterrent in any way but if you use a 93 or newer harness you would need to either find a 93+ engine or add that sensor to an older engine. '93 and up...
  20. Shran

1986 Ranger runs rough cold

I believe you can test O2 sensors by heating them with a propane torch and watching resistance numbers on your meter while the sensor warms up. I do not know what those numbers should be though. Interesting that your timing retards like that. I'm not sure if it's supposed to do that or not, I...