• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. ABS Not Working.. Mystery 4x4 Component

It’s possible. We read the codes at work and it was after lunch
  2. ABS Not Working.. Mystery 4x4 Component

Thanks for that update. I don't think this applies to my Ranger, being a 99. I also replaced all of my brake lines except for the rear axle and didn't see any kind of hydraulic gizmo along the frame. Just the master cylinder, ABS module and brake lines to the calipers and wheel cylinders.
  3. ABS Not Working.. Mystery 4x4 Component

The ABS light has been on since I have had the truck ( 3 years). In this condition it doesn't attempt to use ABS... just normal brakes with no noise or pulse
  4. ABS Not Working.. Mystery 4x4 Component

I think it might have something to do with the wheels possibly sliding when 4x4 is engaged in normal operation.
  5. ABS Not Working.. Mystery 4x4 Component

About a year ago I borrowed a reasonable OBDII reader from a coworker. I was able to read my 99 ranger's ABS trouble code.... didn't write it down, but I read up on the description back then. It was some component, I assume electrical that was only used in 4x4 rangers and, if memory serves...
  6. First Test of 4WD, No 4 Low?

My phone survived without a scratch. Had to drive over it twice to get the right shot I tried clutch down. Maybe not all the way to the floor. Even tried e brake. Nothing yet
  7. First Test of 4WD, No 4 Low?

I have had my truck running for about a year but never tried to test 4wd... I thought it made sense to see if it works prior to selling a low mileage transfer case from a parts vehicle. At a stop I turned the selector to 4 High.. the light came on and I could hear some vacuum type noises behind...
  8. Rear Axle on Work Truck

This is a picture of the axle that I found for sale. Ranger totaled due to frame rust. Does anyone know if the axle tubes can rot out on these? It looks worse than mine, but not sure of the thickness of the axle tube.
  9. Rear Axle on Work Truck

I finally put the truck on jackstands and tried to get it to make the noise I hear on the highway by having it in 5th gear and applying gas and some brake to load up the drivetrain. I didn't hear the same noise... I did go under the rear end while the truck was in gear and put my ear to the...
  10. Rear Axle on Work Truck

came across somebody selling a R7 rear end for $200. He couldn't tell me much about the truck other than a 2000 with 120K miles. It was picked up as a parts vehicle. Any reasonable assumptions I can make about that rear end condition/durability at that mileage? My gut is to walk away from...
  11. Track down vacuum leak

Really appreciate your answer. I did see the vacuum reservoir by the front passenger tire. Makes sense. Thanks again.
  12. Track down vacuum leak

I would never have guessed that. Very interesting. And the truck has California emissions, so whatever pollutes less goes. Another question. How can i test that the vaccuum system is working correctly because now that I have started to think about it I have questions. Should there be...
  13. Track down vacuum leak

Even when fully warmed up?
  14. Track down vacuum leak

I have a high idle when I put the truck in neutral coming to a stop. It may hang at 1500 or so when coasting and usually drops to 8-900. I cleaned up the IAC valve, not sure it is really working but i wanted to track down any issues with vacuum lines. There are a lot. I noticed a few things...
  15. Towing Capacity with Manual Tran

I understand your warning about liability. If I read the owners manual correctly I am able to tow a 3200 lb trailer. That may assume nothing in the bed and no driver.? Overall I am close to being within their guidelines for a 4.0 4x4 extended cab with manual transmission
  16. Towing Capacity with Manual Tran

All great advice. I didn't think of downsizing the car. I can use rent the tow dolly for a toyota yaris.:) I pretty much drive all the time like was described above... except for the engine braking which is a good idea. I was thinking of also bringing along a non-contact thermometer to keep...
  17. Towing Capacity with Manual Tran

I am considering using my 4x4 1999 Ranger with manual trans to tow a project vehicle home on a car dolly. The car weighs under 3200 lbs, which is what the owner's manual says is close to max. Car dolly will probably only add several hundred pounds more. Drive is local and flat on a road that...
  18. Rear Axle on Work Truck

Thanks... Now I have a good idea what to look for. My diff is open, I guess limited slip works and is more desirable? I had been looking locally through craigslist and was trying to find a "lower" mileage truck that somebody was parting and specifically asked if the rear end was quiet. I...
  19. Engine RPM's won't decrease when clutch is disengaged

I have a similar issue. The idle will not usually rise when I put the truck in neutral, but it sometimes takes a while for it to drop. Even after driving 10 miles, it might still be around 1500-1800 rpm when coasting in neutral. It typically drops down to 7-800 when at a light. I checked the...
  20. Rear Axle on Work Truck

Since it looks like a used axle is probably my best bet, are there other vehicles that I can pull an axle from? Mustang? for a 99 ranger with 4:01 in an 8.8 rear?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad