• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. Otis413

Pinion splines?

Are all 8.8 pinion shaft splines the same? (30 spline 1.626" dia.?) and are all 7.5s 28 spline? I'v found conflicting info on the 'net, and I know it's easy for people not that familiar with them to confuse the two (I did the first time I had to buy axle bearings, long story) most of the R&P...
  2. Otis413

Tec/ Brake upgrades/ Areostar drum swap.

It might be good to add a note to the tec article about using the 93-97 Aerostar fined brake drum on a Ranger, this works on Rangers up to 1997 but in 1998 the hub size increased from abt 2.54" (64.5mm) to 2.80" (71mm). so using the Aerostar brake drums on 98 up Rangers would require some...
  3. Otis413

Do Ranger auto trans run hot?

I was reading on another Ranger Forum about auto trans when someone mentioned that the poster should add a second (oem) trans cooler while he had his truck apart because "Ranger automatic transmissions run hot".. New info to me, if true, I looked around here on RS and didn't find anything about...
  4. Otis413

Balance shaft delete.

Just an FYI for those wondering about doing it. (This was my first time) The engine has to be out and the upper oil pan removed, I was "rebuilding" the engine anyway... I was looking around on the 'net last night for info on removing the balance shaft from my 4.0L SOHC. Really didn't find...
  5. Otis413

Tools, homemade and moded

Interested in what people do to make things easier, I like building my own stuff when I can, so I'm looking for winter projects. The other day we decided hooking the engine hoist to the 3 point hitch on the old mini tractor would be easier than dragging it around on the gravel driveway.. EZ mod...
  6. Otis413

Tips and tricks?

This might be one of those "everybody knew but me" things, but this is my first time tearing into the 4L SOHC engine and I noticed a few things that might be useful: In the picture below, bolts A are M12-1.75 x 120mm that I bought for the two bed bolts closest to the cab, I noticed that the...
  7. Otis413

4.0L SOHC distruction.

EDITED for intoxicated posting. My Brother in law and I did some work on his '01 Exploder Sport today, I never seen valves bent so bad you could just lift out the rocker arms (a couple of them anyway) seems the front lower timing chain guide came apart and allowed the jackshaft to jump out of...
  8. Otis413

Fuel line repair

Well the spring-lock connector on my '03 is froz up, while trying to loosen it up the rubber line broke (between the coupler and filter (line goes from rubber>alum?>vinyl) my '02 donor vehicle is in the same shape. Since the female part of the spring-lock connector seems to be unavailable I'm...
  9. Otis413

Short bed mounting measurements.

My current rebuild looks like I'll have a spare bed in repairable shape (cosmetic rust mostly) and I'm planning to make a trailer out of it, with a topper/cap, it could come in handy. So while the bed was off I took some measurements in order to build my trailer frame. (I have some 6" channel...
  10. Otis413

'03 FX4 Level II ??

I bought a '03 Ranger 4x4 with a blown engine and a horrid paint job for $800, solid-ish body and good frame. My plan was to put a motor I have from an 02 in it, new chain guides and seals, just something to drive to work.. The only odd things I noticed were that the door tag said it came...
  11. Otis413

Harmonic Balancer

My '04 Edge had hit 100K this summer, so I changed the belt, wasn't bad, just maintenance. Yesterday the belt started squeaking at start up so I gave everything a good looking over. Q: When did Ford put two pulleys on the crank shaft balancer? (See pic below) A: Never on a 4.0 that I know of...
  12. Otis413

Pull engine and trans as one piece?

I just bought a 03 XLT, 250k with a blown engine, solid frame and decent cab, my present ride is a good running 04 Edge with 105K and a rusted out patched up frame. They're equipped purdy much the same. Yep, the classic build one out of two job.. I'm stripping the 03 now, and was wondering if...
  13. Otis413

Steering wheel wont come loose.

The Problem. Is there something I'm missing about pulling the steering wheel on a 03 Ranger XLT? I removed the air-bag, the ignition switch and the center bolt is backed out about half way to push against with a two jaw gear puller. I'v cranked down on the gear puller till there's groans and...
  14. Otis413

HELP! 3.0L V6 Duratec con rod bolt torque.

I can't find this information anywhere, a google search brings up lots of info for the Vulcan V6 but nothing for the Duratec V6 (DOHC). I have a 2011 Ford Escape with a 3.0L V6 FlexFuel Duratec DOHC engine, a tapping noise led us to pull off the oil pan and turns out it lapped a connecting rod...
  15. Otis413

Performance chip?

Has anybody seen/tried this? Force Performance Chip/Programmer for Ford Explorer Someone asked me about this, sounds too good to be true, but, I'v been wrong before.... And while we're on the subject, is there any "chip" type mods for the 4.0l OHC that do work?? Thanks for any info!
  16. Otis413

Lucky guy....

Friend of mine at work picked up this 2003 Ranger XLT 4x4 at an estate sale, 12,075 miles, V6 5 speed, looks brand new inside and out, just needs a wax job.. $3,500, lucky cuss..
  17. Otis413

Rear door latch repair

A while back I saw a question about how to remove the rear door panel to repair the door latch. There were no replies so I thought I'd post some pics of my door latch (lower) repair. The inner panel can be removed by unbolting the upper sholder-belt (a nut) the lower seat belt and the rear...
  18. Otis413

Factory 4x4 lift blocks color code?

I had to swap out the rear axle on my 04 Ranger with one from my 02. I was in a hurry 'cause I needed to be able to get to work the next morning. My question is about the factory "bump-stop" lift blocks, I noticed they were stamped with "PINK" and "BLUE", being in a hurry I didn't take the time...
  19. Otis413

Front receiver and skid plate fab.

I made a front receiver to mount my winch to. One of my helpers.... More help. A diagram of the bolt on receiver plate. CORRECTION! the notch for the receiver tube should be 1 inch deep rather then 1 1/4 inch deep, at 1 1/4" the top of the receiver tube just touches the bumper valance...
  20. Otis413

Shadetree Locksmith, cut your own keys.

Disclaimer: The Ranger Station.com, The Ranger Station.com Staff, nor the original poster are responsible for you doing this modification to your vehicle. By doing this modification and following this how-to you, the installer, take full responsibility if anything is damaged or messed up. If you...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad