• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. srisitt

Vehicle Shipping Service?

I’m considering picking up a ranger about 200 miles from where I live. It doesn’t run and comes with a spare engine and transmission and a bunch of totes of parts. So the truck will need towed and I might have to make a separate trip for the spare stuff. Can anyone reccomend a service that could...
  2. srisitt

Top End Rebuild

So I have a leak at the cylinder head on a Ranger with 259k miles. Still runs well, fluids not mixing, compression feels good, and no smoke, so I think it’s just external. Still reliability is very important here, so I’m considering replacing the gasket. It also has a tick when the engine is...
  3. srisitt

2.0L Engine

I'm looking at a 1984 4x4 Ranger that has the 2.0L in it with a rebuilt top end. What is the reputation of this engine as far as reliability, design, known problems etc? I've read the page in the tech lib but I'm interested what owners have to say about it.
  4. srisitt

What do you think of this camshaft?

I went and checked out a project diesel that's been sitting for a long time. The valve cover is removed so I got to check out the camshaft. It looked pretty good except for this cam towards the front that has some pitting and wear. What do you think?
  5. srisitt

Cylinder head leak - What to do?

My 91 has a leak on the drivers side of the cylinder head. I didn't notice it because it's in the path of a power steering leak and close to a radiator hose that has a small leak, but the mechanics at a local shop noticed it and thought it was severe enough to ask if I wanted to proceed with the...
  6. srisitt

Slack in Gas Pedal Cable?

I noticed the gas pedal in my manual 91 4.0L seems to have quite a bit of play. If I push at the top of the pedal arm (bringing the pedal closer towards the driver) the cable comes out about an inch. Should this cable be taut? Not sure how to adjust it.
  7. srisitt

Black fluid in clutch master cylinder

Well this can’t be good. Opened up the fluid reservoir in the clutch master cylinder and it is jet black and filthy. What would this indicate and is it possible to flush out myself? I’ve read it can be deteriorated rubber from the cap and lines, but this truck is new to me it could be something...
  8. srisitt

Rough Shifting Into Reverse (M5OD)

New to me 91 4.0L Ranger with an M5OD. I've noticed it will occasionally shift roughly into reverse, making a harsh clunk as it goes into gear, with the clutch still fully disengaged. It doesn't happen every time, most of the time it shifts in smoothly. I don't understand why this would only...
  9. srisitt

Floor jack lifting points?

I want to lift my 2wd 91 Ranger up and support it on 4 jack stands. My chilton and hanes manuals only cover doing one wheel. I can't find any information online either. I have the rear up and supported, but I don't know where to put the floor jack for the front. Is this a safe point to lift...
  10. srisitt

Anyone recognize this mirror?

My Ranger came with this mirror installed on the drivers side. I like it because it's a bit larger than stock and has a good field of view, and it has a nice slim profile. I don't think it's stock to any Ranger. Anyone know what kind of truck it came off of? Or maybe an aftermarket?
  11. srisitt

Turn crankshaft with timing belt removed?

Is it ok to turn the crankshaft when the timing belt is removed? I know it would throw off the timing but would it damage anything? Trying to see if an 87 2.3L turbo diesel ranger is seized.
  12. srisitt

Cold engine tick?

I have a 1991 4.0L with about 257k miles. It's running pretty well but it has a tick when I start it cold that gradually goes away as the engine warms up. The original owner (I'm the 2nd) said that he thought it was just a lifter and wasn't too worried about it. What does it sound like to you...
  13. srisitt

Tow Capacity

How much can a 4.0 haul exactly? Thinking of renting a trailer to pick up another ranger in my 4.0L, but haven't taken it on the highway with that kind of load yet.
  14. srisitt

When did Ford switch the 'Ranger' logo?

When did Ford switch from the emblem on the left to the emblem on the right? I always thought it was in the early 90's but I saw an 87 with the newer emblem, wondering if it was retrofit or if Ford put them out earlier than I thought. .
  15. srisitt

Oil pressure switch/sender location?

I'm replacing the oil pressure switch on a 91 4.0L. Where is this thing exactly? Nothing about it in my manual.
  16. srisitt

4 Cylinder Diesels Freeway/Highway Speeds

How do the diesel rangers handle the freeway? I've heard they need pretty high RPM's to do 60-80 mph. Is there much difference with the Turbo?
  17. srisitt

Oil pressure gauge showing no pressure?

I recently bought a 91 4.0L that shows no pressure on the dash gauge. The previous owner was driving it like this and I drove it 300 miles to get it home and it ran just fine. If there really wasn't any oil pressure I imagine the engine would have been noisey as hell and died soon after I pulled...
  18. srisitt

2.3L Diesel 4x4 Ranger - What do you think?

I’m looking at an 87 2.3L Ranger with 4x4. Apparently, it had jumped timing and the previous owner removed the head to look for damage. The head is torqued back on but everything else needs to be put back. (See pics) this happened in 2003 and they told me it’s been sitting since then.. :shok: it...
  19. srisitt

2.3L Diesel Ranger - What do you think?

I’m looking at an 87 2.3L Ranger with 4x4. Apparently, it had jumped timing and the previous owner removed the head to look for damage. The head is torqued back on but everything else needs to be put back. (See pics) this happened in 2003 and they told me it’s been sitting since then.. :shok: it...
  20. srisitt

Things to check in transmission/drive train?

I got a new-to-me manual 91 4.0L Ranger with 257k miles. What would be some good things to check/look out for in determining the shape of the transmission and drive chain? I’ve heard one thing is if it makes a grinding sound around corners the pinion could need attention. Already found a leak...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad