• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. RegularGuy

Nokian Outpost AT tires

Recently purchased some Outpost AT tires through my local Discount Tire, taking them up to Mt. Baker both today and the day prior. I found them to perform predictably on what little snow I could find (the ski area had some decent snowfall last week but they've cleared it off the roads now)...
  2. RegularGuy

Handling the POWER

I've officially begun the switch to electric on my 2007 FX4 lvl2 ranger. Politics aside, it appears to be the correct choice for my use case, and after approximately 4 years, I should have made my money back in fuel. Starting out, I'm doing a number of modifications which won't mess with the...
  3. RegularGuy

Maverick is weird

Saw a maverick for the first time today. While it's similar to my 2007 4x4 in size, it's muuuuuuch shorter. The one I saw appears to be a base trim awd. About the same overall length and width but with the stock ground clearance, it's nowhere near the ranger replacement I've been hearing about...
  4. RegularGuy

Rear sway bar, good or bad idea

Looking for some opinions here, my 2007 fx4 lvl 2 doesn't currently have a rear sway bar. Should I add one? My only concern is how rear traction will be affected while cornering on wet pavement. As is, I break traction pretty easy. It's my understanding that a rear bar would make this worse. For...
  5. RegularGuy

Coolant leak; thermostat housing suspected

Found my reservoir and rad nearly dry tonight while replacing my front shocks. Theres coolant running down the front of the head on the passenger side burning off on the passenger side manifold and liquid pooled in the valley (don't know if that bit is coolant or just water). The three options...
  6. RegularGuy

Community interest: Slide-in camper

I've been looking at putting together a design for a slide-in camper that'll utilize the entirety of the space in my 2007 ranger. Wondering if I'm the only one here interested in building such a thing.... It'd be nice if you guys would answer the attached poll I'd be attempting to keep it...
  7. RegularGuy

ASD shock selection

The 14 year old Bilstein's on my truck have to die at some point and so I'm beginning my research now. I've been trying to locate some multistage shocks, ASD as the tech section lists them. Monroe appears to be the only brand though, has anyone made the switch themselves? I haven't had good...
  8. RegularGuy

Fx4 lvl2 in need of axle

I'm having the truck looked at by an axle shop, anticipating a $600-1000 quote depending on what's required for repair. I'm coming up short on additional options. Despite seemingly a fair price, I would think it'd be cheaper to install a whole assembly.... If only I could find one! Any ideas...
  9. RegularGuy

Electric conversions, are they happening now?

Hey everyone, wondering if electric conversions have started popping up yet. I love my truck but can only imagine I'll need to convert it to electric if it's going to be my daily driver 10-15 years from now. Overall, everything seems to be in place for an electric conversion.... We already have...
  10. RegularGuy

Full length skid plate - mpg

I've been considering fabricating additional bolt on skid plates for the underside of my fx4 lvl2 in hopes of not only better mpg, but also some additional protection on the trails. Plates aren't too uncommon, did anyone see a mileage improvement or did the added weight negate the aero benefit...
  11. RegularGuy

Modding Mishaps: post your blunders

Haven't seen a thread like this before, thought it might be fun... What are some of the things you've regretted doing to your ranger? Modifications that didn't work as intended, took more time than they were worth, or cost more than they were worth. Personally, my biggest screw up came about...
  12. RegularGuy

Questionable Parts

Hey everyone... I have some dump trucks the family is looking to either part out or scrap.... Would anyone be able to shed some light onto whether any of this stuff is sought after by the off-roading community? Based on the extensive pile of receipts, we believe one truck (a 1976 Ford C600) to...
  13. RegularGuy

Rear diff whine after oil change

The question, pulled from the end: Even if the differential was suppose to get 80w-90, why would it be so noisy all of a sudden? Bit of an odd frustrating day I had, needed the gear oil changed on my rear axle. Having priced things out, I took it in to a lube shop, they look up the vin which...
  14. RegularGuy

Slide-in camper

I have been looking into the possibility of either buying to building a camper for my ranger, as a 2007 4.0 4x4 auto. I would have quite a bit of leway if I went with a trailer (5220lbs in ideal conditions) but with the kind of roads I'm driving a camper is really the way to go.... I know it's...
  15. RegularGuy

Control Arms or Bushing replacement

At a very reasonable $35 for the right, $40 for the left, while bushings are $16 per side. Is it worthwhile replacing the bushings? My thought is, if the bushings are bad, the non-removeable ball joints shouldn't be far behind them. I might save time and money in the long run replacing the...
  16. RegularGuy

Alignment parts required

The question; if adjustments need to be made do I need replacement hardware? I I've seen hardware available ranging from 1.5° to 2.0°. Would a 1.5° give me either +/- 1.5° or is it a range where I could for example get 1.0°? The background; the truck is a 2007 4.0 4x4. I've received a few...
  17. RegularGuy

"Homemade Vehicle" Washington State

Myself and a few other engineering students have been designing a hybrid vehicle and are trying to figure out what is actually required to pass the "Homemade Motor Vehicle Inspection" the two things currently on our plate being the frame and bumper requirements. As best as we can tell, crash...
  18. RegularGuy

Mystery B1884 code

Coming down a mountain trail I received a check engine light (which has since gone away) for a B1884, "unexpected feature present". Some other codes popped up with it so I'm not sure if this is the one that triggered the light... I'm fixing those at the moment. Looking this code up online...
  19. RegularGuy

Quality plug wire brand

I've been shopping around for some spark plug wires, doing the usual brand research, only to find negative reviews for everything under the sun... Specifically poor build quality. Does anyone have a brand they've purchased recently they would recommend? From what I've been reading, quality has...
  20. RegularGuy

MPG gain - AC bypass

Happened to realize with my 2007, whenever the blower fan is on, the AC compressor cycles.... There are some obvious efficiency improvements to be found here so perhaps someone can help me along here. Searching the forums, it would appear most modifications involve adding a switch which turns...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad