• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. Intermittent loss of power/rough idle

02 4.0, 180k miles. I’ve been chasing this issue for awhile now and I’m running out of ideas. It seems like 50 percent of the time it runs amazing, idles perfect, great power, no issues whatsoever. But then other times I have to get up into the 2700-3000 rpm range before it seems like it had any...
  2. 4.0 sohc octane rating?

My 4.0 sohc has about 180k miles on it, it’s always felt like a sluggish engine but never anything too bad, especially compared to my last 3.0. But I’ve noticed my truck seems to run considerably quieter and feel stronger if I run a higher octane fuel, usually midgrade which is like 89 octane...
  3. Clicking noise from engine about 2000 rpm

02 4.0 soho 4x4. Recently I’ve noticed that when I hit the throttle any considerable amount(2-2.5k rpm, gets worse the higher the rpms) the engine starts making a clicking noise? The best way I can describe the sound is someone clicking their tongue but at 2000 rpm, I haven’t exactly been able...
  4. Exhaust issues (maybe?)

Recently my 4.0 has had some power issues around midrange, as well as a burbling noise around 2500 rpm but only when there’s a load on the engine (driving). It’s always been very loud considering the stock exhaust but I never thought anything of it. At first I thought maybe it was a clogged...
  5. Slow acceleration +funky sounding exhaust

02 4.0 4x4. Starting about a week ago I’ve a significant drop in power, and a very loud exhaust sound, I’ve checked everything and nothing seems loose or leaky, but those can be hard to find. I had an 02 sensor fail awhile ago and it was broken for about 2 months before I finally fixed it, could...
  6. Lifted torsion keys with RC lift?

I plan on getting a Rough country 5 inch lift for my 02 4x4 eventually. I don’t want to do a body lift but I also want to be able to fit 35s. My question is can I use the 3 inch lifted torsion keys I have already in tandem with the lift? I know the RC lift uses stock keys at stock crank so...
  7. 02 4x4 torsion bar “insulator” pads

I recently went to put lifted Torsion keys on my 02 4x4, but due to a few issues I couldn’t get the keys in so I decided to wait. When I took the old keys out, the rubber pads under the stock keys fell apart, is it going to hurt anything riding without them? I cranked the keys back tk where they...
  8. rear leaf spring issues

Okay, I recently installed a shackle lift on my truck, I have 2.5 inch factory blocks as well as 2 inch shackles, I would imagine my truck should set pretty high, but the rear end is only a single inch higher than the front with maxed out t-bars. I feel as though the leaf springs may be the...
  9. Torsion keys vs maxed out stock keys

Okay, I’m a little new to some of this stuff, I found a kit on Amazon, a 2/3 inch lift, it’s just some 2 inches shackles for the rear and new torsion keys that say they can go up to 3 inches for the front. My truck has the factory 2.5 inch lift blocks and maxed out torsion keys up front. Would...
  10. Bank 2 rich, bank 1 runs fine,

My 02 4.0 sohc started throwing a code for a rich code on bank 2, but only bank 2, I’ve yet to find any sort of reason for it, as most issues should be for both banks, any recommendations?
  11. 02 4.0 soho random surges

My 02 4.0 was broke down for awhile, finally got it back up and running, but sometimes I get these random surges. It’s worse while idol but happens while driving too, when it’s i doling the whole truck shakes and the engines acts like it wants to stall, when you’re driving you can feel it die...
  12. AC stuck blowing on bottom and top vents only

Got my 02 ranger running right after awhile, but my AC only blows from the defrost vents and from under the dash, heat and cool both work, as well as the fan speed, just the vents are weird, would I be correct to guess a vacuum leak? And if so, what are some common places to check
  13. 5r55e compatible years

My 02 sohc 4.0 needs a transmission, I’ve been looking around and I found someone Parting out a 98 explorer ohv , I’ve seen some people say that the transmissions are still compatible, anyone have any experience swapping between years like that? I know there’s a 1 bolt difference between the...
  14. Stock 4.0 sohc low boost turbo

I came across this weird little electric 3 inch “turbo” that says it builds 3 pounds of boost, which doesn’t sound too bad, and doesn’t look like it would be hard to integrate into my current cold air intake system, I don’t know much about forced induction but would this even be a project worth...
  15. 02 4.0 4x4 manual swap questions

Tranny roasted itself, 02 4.0 4x4. I wanna do a a manual swap, I’ve been thinking of just getting a parts truck and yanking the transmission, pedal and master/slave and all the other tidbits. I need to know what years rangers have compatible parts, and maybe what other vehicles I could use parts...
  16. 5r55e won’t shift past 2nd

02 4.0 4x4. At first I had no drive or reverse (went out on me going down the road), got home slowly, did a fluid and filter change, now I have drive and reverse back but won’t shift past 2nd gear. It’s like it drops out of 2nd to shift and just hits a an almost neutral, it goes but with no...
  17. 5r55e no drive/reverse

Got my ranger running again after a few weeks, went for a test drive and it felt like the truck kept sputtering, rpm’s stayed steady though. I stopped and after that drive and reverse seemed to be about useless, absolutely no power, if I’m on a flat area they go but no sort of actual power...
  18. 4.0 fuel rail leak?

My 4.0 had been sitting for a few weeks, finally got everything else fixed and now it didn’t wanna start, finally after holding the ignition on for almost 30 seconds it starts, runs like shit but it runs. About the time it got warmed up I noticed fuel pouring down the back of the engine, only...
  19. High idol 4.0

I recently bought a 01 4x4 4.0. The only issue I’ve found is a high idol, about 1800rpm, when I turn the ac off it jumps to about 2000, I would imagine that a vaccum leak would make the hubs not lock and all that seems fine, any ideas? No check engine lights or codes. Only other issue I’ve found...
  20. 4.0 high idol (about 1800rpm)

I recently bought a 01 4x4 4.0. The only issue I’ve found is a high idol, about 1800rpm, when I turn the ac off it jumps to about 2000, I would imagine that a vaccum leak would make the hubs not lock and all that seems fine, any ideas? No check engine lights or codes

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad