• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. 99 Ranger XLT 4 liter temp sender malfunction

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the info and photo of the A pillar GlowShift gauges.
  2. 99 Ranger XLT 4 liter temp sender malfunction

I may have to find another cluster. I just noticed that the needle is sitting at operating temp and the engine is cold. If I power up it resets to cold and then rises as it should when the engine warms up. If I put in another cluster I'm guessing I have to switch out the odometer.
  3. 99 Ranger XLT 4 liter temp sender malfunction

Good news. It works. I bought the Motorcraft sender and put it in. Ran her up to operating temp and she's around 194 to 198. T stat is 192. Thanks for the above tip about the different shaped ends. I did not know this. I'm no mechanic, just have some common sense. I still want to put in...
  4. 99 Ranger XLT 4 liter temp sender malfunction

Bought the Motorcraft sender this morning. I'll put it in after work later today. Here's hoping it works. I'll probably check the continuity before I screw it in.
  5. 99 Ranger XLT 4 liter temp sender malfunction

I'm stumped. All I did was unplug this sensor and put a new one in. I put the old one back in when the new one didn't work. Would it be any better if I got the Motorcraft one? I hate to be a parts cannon person.
  6. 99 Ranger XLT 4 liter temp sender malfunction

I tested the old sender which is back in the truck. Black lead to case and red lead to each of the terminals. No resistance on both pins. I took the new Carquest one I had previously put in the truck the other day and 0 on one terminal and 19 ohms on the other. Ambient temp is 70 degrees...
  7. 99 Ranger XLT 4 liter temp sender malfunction

I grounded to battery negative, a body ground, and engine ground. Gauge went to hot in each circumstance. Insteresting thing, it read 9.2 volts each time. My sensor has two pins (even the original). The wire is red/white.
  8. 99 Ranger XLT 4 liter temp sender malfunction

One wire system. Threads are bare metal. I even grounded the brass part of the sender to the battery negative.
  9. 99 Ranger XLT 4 liter temp sender malfunction

I recently replaced the t stat and temp sender. Used Motorcraft t stat. Now my gauge in the instrument cluster doesn't work at all. I grounded the red/white wire and the gauge went all the way to hot. So, there is integrity to that point. I did replace the new sensor with the old one and...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad