• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. 2.3L ('83-'97) 96 2.3L Hard Start & Thick Black Smoke

Good news, it was the MAF sensor, cleaned up immediately upon startup. Smooth idle and no smoke. Good for another 100k. It must have been the circuit board as the elements were intact and clean. Thanks for the help. I did bring my laptop with FORSCAN and cable this time so will pull codes for...
  2. 2.3L ('83-'97) 96 2.3L Hard Start & Thick Black Smoke

I replaced the IAC, no change. t I started messing with the MAF sensor, if I unplug it while its running nothing will change, literally does not make even the slightest of difference on idle. I can also plug the intake hole with my finger and it changes nothing. the elements look fine, clean...
  3. 2.3L ('83-'97) 96 2.3L Hard Start & Thick Black Smoke

More info, truck has 283k miles, 175lbs compression on each cylinder, 35lbs fuel pressure while running, immediately drops to 25 when I kill it, then to 18 or so after 10 mins. Replaced temp sensor, no luck, still smoking. The clean out procedure, pedal floored, will not make it start, no signs...
  4. 2.3L ('83-'97) 96 2.3L Hard Start & Thick Black Smoke

Huge thanks Ron, good stuff No, sorry, was running fine before and after timing belt change. the smoke came months later, but the truck only gets driven around the property or down the street. It sits a lot. There is quite a bit of fuel in oil but I just discovered it, may have been this way...
  5. 2.3L ('83-'97) 96 2.3L Hard Start & Thick Black Smoke

Hello, new to forum, been reading a lot, great resource. I have a 96 with 180k miles, it sits a lot at our vacation home, it started billowing black smoke, rough start, and rough idle. I have a lot of fuel in the oil. It runs good when driving but still smokes. All 4 plugs were covered in...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad