• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. blackbronc

Explorers 6 positions in top 10 clunker trade ins

Guess those bad auto trannies and door hinges are finally catching up to Ford. Beware lots of incoming used parts to a dismantler near you.
  2. blackbronc

Safe amount to shorten a 9"

You could shorten the housing right up to the center section with no problems if you wanted to. The probem is all 70s era 9" axles are induction hardened and can't be cut and resplined properly so aftermarket or older axles would be needed. Check with Currie. The truck in my avatar had a 68...
  3. blackbronc

Spring spec database?

nevermind
  4. blackbronc

Looking for 16" compressed RBV spring

I just installed a 5" lift on a 2WD 94 supercab, 4.0, stick. The springs that came with it are way soft and only sit 14" compressed. Looks like I need 16" compressed lenth to get close to the proper lift. What compressed height do you get from your 6" lift SJ coils? I haven't had any luck...
  5. blackbronc

9 inch question

Mustangs, Cougars, Mavericks, Fairlanes, Rancheros, Falcons early fullsize with V8s 60 till 66 pretty much all had 4 1/2" pattern. Some 66 to 72ish. Mid size. Galaxy, Lincoln fullsize had 5" Allmost nothing had 4 1/2' after 78. All truck 9" were 5 1/2" from the 30s til around 86? when the 9 was...
  6. blackbronc

dodge ford 9"

They had their own 8 3/4" rearend which was a very similar design to a 9". It worked fine with Max Wedge 426s, 383/440 magnums. Hemis got 5 lug dana 60's. If they have seen 9s in Dodges they're most likely swapped in since it's so easy to do. With 4 1/2 and 5 1/2" lug paterns being the same...
  7. blackbronc

dodge ford 9"

I'd have to see documented proof of that to believe it. Chrysler owned New Process for years and had axle manufaturing capability in house for all light and medium duty vehicles. For heavy duty apps. they went to Dana/Spicer Corp like everybody else did. Since Dana was pretty much sole supplier...
  8. blackbronc

D28/35 hybrid questions

I have found a 28/35 with 4.10 gears that would be a good replacement for my 28. My question is could the pumpkin be replaced with a 35 later without changing a bunch more parts; axle shafts, housing etc?
  9. blackbronc

Making my 5x5 pattern a 5x4.5

You shouldn't waste your time or money on the 2wd 12 bolt. Machine work or adapters will cost more than getting a 9" or 8.8" that will match with the front 5 on 5 1/2". Also the 2wd most likely will need the gears changed to match the front. The axle flanges probably don't have enough metal to...
  10. blackbronc

what gear ratio

1 turn of an axle will only turn the carrier 1/2 turn so you have to turn 1 axle 2 turns to turn the carrier 1. The exception is if your spiders are welded, you have a spool, locker or very good L/S. You would have to get both wheels in the air and turn 1 full turn in that case.
  11. blackbronc

what gear ratio

They are Mazda axles not ford or nissan. Mark your driveshaft with some bright paint or the like right near the rear yoke. Jack up one rear wheel and mark it like the driveshaft. Turn the wheel exactly 2 full turns while you watch the driveshaft and count the number of times it turns. Almost 4...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad