• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. 88 XLT Ranger

Need help how to remove oil pressure sensor 88 Ranger

My 88 Ranger 2.9L oil pressure sensor is leaking. I bought a socket that fits it. The motor mount is keeping the socket from going on all the way. I even took the black plastic cover off the sensor. Any help is much appreciated
  2. 88 XLT Ranger

Napa Remanufactured Alternator help

My Ranger looks like the Alternator went bad. My battery light on the dash flickers its has 11.63 volts when running. My turn signals began to blink slowly. The battery light use to come on than off all the time but had no starting charging issues. My Napa store has a remanufactured Alternator...
  3. 88 XLT Ranger

How to set timing 2.9l

My truck failed CA Smog The inspection on pre smog test the timing is at 5 degrees BTDC they want factory spec at 10 degrees BTDC. The tech marked the pulley told me to set it there set the timing light at 10. I got an old Sunpro advanced timing analyzer. It has degrees advanced on back will...
  4. 88 XLT Ranger

Need Urgent help 2.9L died turns over wont start

Need quick help My 1988 Ranger 2.9l I started it up to warm it up it was running fine on its own for 20 minuts than it just died or stalled. I went to start it back up it just turns over wont start back up. I checked the fuel pressure at the rail tuned the key on pushed the nipple deal fuel...
  5. 88 XLT Ranger

Bad TFI ignition module?

I been trying to figure this issue out my 2.9l is a pain in the Azzz to start when cold. I have to put the throttle to the floor the starter spins until it starts real slow RPM's than picks up. Once it starts its rough like a miss once warmed up runs smoother. I get on the road 35-65mph its like...
  6. 88 XLT Ranger

Rough idle surging and lack of power

TRS guy's I got a new issue with my 2.9l it was running fine no issue for a long time. This last week it started this rough idle all the time and it now surges at all speeds and has a lack of power. I pulled all the plugs no fouling all burning good. Its kinda strange it will be bogging lack of...
  7. 88 XLT Ranger

2.9L issue hard to start when cold

I been having this issue the last few weeks when the engine cools sitting overnight its real hard to start. I try to let it start on its own than I have to put my foot to the floor. It turns over many times than finaly I get it fire. It sounds like its loaded up trying to clear its self out...
  8. 88 XLT Ranger

2.9l Blue Smoke on cold start up

I got this strange issue my driveway is up hill on cold start up I get a blue cloud of smoke. Its just a few seconds than clears up once warmed up nothing even if sitting a few hours on the driveway. If I park level on cold start up nothing clean no blue smoke. I checked the PVC and cleaned it...
  9. 88 XLT Ranger

Question 1988 Ford Ranger with a coolant reservoir tank with window washer reservoir

I got a quick question? I got an 1988 Ford Ranger coolant reservoir tank with window washer reservoir tank together. I got if off a wrecked Ranger in my friends old yard with only 35K on it before it was hit. My question is where is it vented at? it has the stock push in black plastic plug cap...
  10. 88 XLT Ranger

Ranger 2.9l using coolant

"The saga of coolant loss" I got an issue of my Ranger is using coolant I got a nice overflow tank. I had no issues until it got cold I went to use my heater no heat. I back flushed the heater core nice flow and heat after that. Now it seams to be loosing about 1/2 inch of coolant from the...
  11. 88 XLT Ranger

2.9L has two catalytic converters "Question"?

Have an exhaust question? My 2.9L Ford Ranger came from the factory with two catalytic converters. Mine is a California truck with tight smog rules. I see Magna Flow has carb certified front and rear cats both with differiant part numbers. What is the differiance between the two? both are same...
  12. 88 XLT Ranger

2.9l Number 3 cylinder exhaust lifter issue

2.9l Number 3 cylinder exhaust lifter issue? Need Help Guy's I been dealing with this popping bogging 2.9l for some time now. I been hearing a loud rocker tick as it is popping I pulled number 3 plug carbon fouled as always. I just pulled the valve cover off number 3 cylinder the exhaust...
  13. 88 XLT Ranger

Can't anyone figure this mind bending issue out???????????

I am at the end of my rope :sad: I hate making new threads but it seams the only way to get help. If you go through my "On Going Saga" thread you can see I spent $$$$$$$$$$ replacing parts with same results. Today I pulled number 3 plug carbon fouled I put a fresh plug in fired it up running...
  14. 88 XLT Ranger

My Misfire,popping Saga "Please Help"

My on going Saga :icon_confused: Now that the "Urgent Help forum" is shut down it hurts the one's that need help the most. I had Mark, Ron, Jerry helping to figure this issue out the best way they could. Today I had a hell of a time trying to start my truck it turned over slow. I gave it a...
  15. 88 XLT Ranger

2.9l Fuel Fouling Number 3 Cylinder

Spark Plug fouling issue I got my problem area figured out number 3 cylinder keeps getting fuel fouled. Its due to non evaporated fuel "rich mixture" it does it most when engine is under a load. I have changed the fuel injector for that cylinder I have also changed the MAP sensor, O2 sensor...
  16. 88 XLT Ranger

88 2.9L Misfireing/backfireing issue

1988 2.9L Misfiring/Popping issue Hey guy's I am at a loss here on this 2.9L my issue is it misfires like its running on 5 cylinders. At start up cold it pops/misfires a few times than calms down idel's at 800rpm's. As soon as I give some throttle on the road it starts misfiring I can feel it...
  17. 88 XLT Ranger

Water Temp sensor my pooping on going saga issue?

Need help guy's I been having this popping missing on going saga with my 2.9L V6 Ranger. I have this other tread to give you some idea where I am at http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168080 I replaced all sensors other than MAP, IAC, TPS, and Temp sensor. Now what I have...
  18. 88 XLT Ranger

Need help changed TFI,Coil,Plug Wires,Plugs, same results

I am real bummed out :-( I got some great help from folks her on the TRS forum in my on going Saga. As most know I have issues of popping / Missing. My truck runs great at first start up let warm up 5 min. I get on the freeway its an uphill climb from 3200ft to 4000ft in elevation. I get like 4...
  19. 88 XLT Ranger

Just changed TFI module need help

Need help I changed my TFI due to popping no power after going up a steep highway grade after heating up. I changed it to a new Ford Accel one when I fired it up it runs but stumbles real quick in RPM's every few seconds. I took it for test drive same issue I did move the old plug wires around...
  20. 88 XLT Ranger

Could this be a TP Sensor issue I am having

Ignition Control Module help TRS Guy's need help My truck is a 1988 2.9l the truck runs great on the freeway up a 5 mile grade. I run it at 65 mph as the freeway levels out as soon as I step off the gas and back on at 65 mph its starts popping loss of power. It seams to do it after letting off...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad