• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. Speedometer Reads low over 60 mph only

1998 Ranger 4-cylinder automatic. No check engine lights. Running great. Instrument cluster was replaced when we got vehicle last year because speedo did not work at all. Since then, had transmission rebuilt, and had intermittent problems traced to bad GEM. Those problems included speedo...
  2. Electrical Gremlins (Trans, Speedo, Wipers, Lights) GEM worthless?

Hello. I originally posted this as as Transmission problem in other section (http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176201), but now I think it is more of a general electrical problem. 1998 Ranger 2.5L automatic, no power accessories. Occasionally and randomly, something...
  3. 4R44E (newly rebuilt) intermittent electrical problem? (98 Ranger)

OOPS! should say 4R44E, I think. Six weeks ago, son's Ranger suddenly wouldn't shift past 2nd. Also, speedo went dead, and overdrive light flashing. Took to local tranny shop and got talked into complete rebuild. Same problem came up on way home from shop. Took it back and a few days later...
  4. 98 Ranger Heater Issue

Hello. My son just got a 98 Ranger. Heater isn't working. Fan blows fine, but no hot air when temp adjuster set to hot. I moved the lever on the heater bypass valve by hand, and still no hot air. Did not feel any vacuum in the line going to the valve. I suspect valve is bad or core is...
  5. Headlights make radio display dim?

Hello- 1998 Ranger. When headlights are turned on, the display on the radio gets very dim. Is this normal? If not, suggestions for fixing?
  6. Wiper fuse bad connection

Hello. I'm working on a friend's 1998 Ranger. The wipers work intermittently. I have discovered that wiggling the fuse will make them come on or off. I tried replacing with a new fuse, but same problem. If the wipers stop, I can barely touch the fuse and they will come back on. Obviously a...
  7. How much value does a NEW ENGINE add to an Old Ranger?

Say that I have a 1998 Ranger 2WD with a 2.5L 4-cylinder, 5-speed manual. Good tires, etc. Fair body, good interior. It has 200K miles on it. Let's say that it runs fine and is worth $1,800. How much would the re-sale price go up if the motor were replaced with a completly rebuilt engine...
  8. Leaking Valves after Valve Job (1998 2.5L SOHC-4)

So, I just finished completely rubuilding a 1998 SOHC 2.5L. While installing the timing belt, before I had put manifolds on, I noticed some breathing of the valves on while they were closed as motor was turned with breaker bar. On ALL cylinders, both exhaust and intake side. The valves all...
  9. A Couple Dash Board Questions (98)

I have a 98 Ranger XLT 1. There is a bunch of dirt behind the glass that covers the guages. It is between the glass and the actual guages. Is there an easy way to get behind there to clean it out? 2. Is the cover for the passenger-side air bag removable? It is all scratched-up and I...
  10. 1998 Ranger 2.5L - Question about Timing for Oil Pump Gear

We just replaced timing belt on this 98 Ranger 2.5L. The first time, we messed-up and used the pressed lines in the cam gear and oil pump gear flanges to align instead of the triangle mark. Didn't work too well (3 tooth difference)! Re-did it using the triangle mark on the cam gear, but...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad