• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. Electrical Gremlin with an '83 2.8L duraspark conversion truck

It's been a long time since I've posted. I did a Duraspark conversion on my truck about 8 years ago, and it ran well for many years after that. Then I started having an odd, sporadic electrical gremlin which I could never track down. I ended up parking the Ranger for a few years, figured I'd...
  2. Oil somehow leaking into the cab?

I have a new issue with my '83 Ranger. We've had a moderate oil leak for awhile now, mostly around the intake manifold and valve cover gaskets. It is messy but hasn't affected performance very much, and we just haven't gotten around to fixing it yet. But when I went to get into the cab today...
  3. Truck occasionally suddenly stalls when clutch goes in; electrical?

I have an occasional but maddening problem with a manual transmission, Duraspark-converted '83. We did the conversion back in 2015, and for the most part it's been running well since then. We replaced the worn-out carb over the winter, and that fixed most of the rest of the problems. However...
  4. Recurring cold idle issues in '83 after Duraspark conversion

Hey everyone. I've got a recurring issue with my '83 manual shift Ranger's cold idle, and it has continued despite a lot of attempts to fix it. Basic behavior is this: 1. cold start any given day, let it warm up for 2-5 minutes (the colder it is outside, the longer I let it warm up), drive away...
  5. Recurring issue with cold idle behavior

Hey everyone. I've got a recurring issue with my Ranger's cold idle, and it has continued despite a lot of attempts to fix it. Basic behavior is this: 1. cold start any given day, let it warm up for 2-5 minutes (the colder it is outside, the longer I let it warm up), drive away. 2. first five...
  6. Time for a 2.8 rebuild

Greetings everyone, it's been awhile. It was almost exactly three years ago when I started the Duraspark conversion on our '83 Ranger, and that project was successful thanks to the advice and encouragement I got from this forum. The old truck has been running reasonably well since then, but...
  7. How to replace the fuel pump on an '83 2.8l engine

Good afternoon all. I have been having some issues with hesitation, and I don't recall ever replacing the fuel pump on my truck, so I figured that would be a good place to start. I have the pump in hand and I went out to the truck thinking it would be a relatively easy afternoon job...
  8. 1983 Ranger won't start cold

Good evening everyone. My 83 Ranger is dead in the driveway after a very difficult cold start which then stalled. And it's not even that cold outside, at 40F. This has been a very long-standing problem with this truck, but today was the worst yet. I should note here that this is a...
  9. '83 Ranger w/ Duraspark Conversion suddenly having issues

I did the Duraspark conversion on my '83 Ranger last summer (with a lot of help from folks here; thanks again). It's been my daily driver since then, and until this past Friday it was running great. I was out running errands and all was well, when I pulled into a parking spot and turned off...
  10. Another hard start question, but different symptoms

Hey all. This seems to be the month for hard-start questions. I have a similar situation, but with different details. My 83 Ranger and I just went through the Duraspark conversion; we finished up in August and I've been driving the truck all over Creation since then. During that time, I've...
  11. Sticky throttle cable

I originally posted this issue as part of my Duraspark conversion thread, but decided to break it out into its own topic to avoid wading through a bunch of old unrelated info. Looks like my '83 Ranger is suffering from a gummed up throttle linkage. Even trying to manipulate the throttle by...
  12. RPMs sometimes run abnormally high

Good afternoon all. I just finished up the duraspark conversion on my '83 Ranger with the 2.8L engine, and so far the road tests have gone pretty well. I have good power throughout the RPM band, nice, smooth, even throttle response, improved efficiency over my previous...
  13. Converting an electric choke to hot air choke

I'm thinking to convert my '83 Ranger's electric choke to a hot air choke before cold weather arrives. I've never been happy with that stupid thing. I've done the Duraspark conversion so I don't have any computer control nonsense to worry about anymore. I have found some of the parts I need...
  14. Questions During a Duraspark Conversion

Good evening all. We've been planning to do the Duraspark and non-feedback carb conversion for our '83 Ranger, and this holiday weekend we finally got started. Today we got as far as labeling all the various wires/vacuum lines/etc coming to/from the existing carb, and got the carb removed. We...
  15. 83 Ranger Idle and Starting issues

Good morning all. Our 83 Ranger has been having ongoing and slowly worsening carburetor issues, as the various feedback and emissions modules have failed. It's the 2150 Motorcraft, and we've already made the decision to do the Duraspark/Holley carb conversion. We haven't finished saving up...
  16. how to remove hood piece to access wiper arms

This seems like such a simple thing, but I cannot find the answer either in Chilton's or in the Tech Library. I have an 83 Ranger whose wiper arms keep sliding off the wiper motor's eccentric post. There's a stupid little clip, which I have, which keeps those wiper arms mounted on that post...
  17. Found lots of sludge during 2bbl carb rebuild - why???

Good morning all, and thanks for such a great forum. This is my first post. We have a 1983 Ford Ranger, 2.8L engine with the 2bbl Motorcraft carb, standard shift, 100% stock as far as I know. She's a hard worker as a farm truck, and we try to keep up with typical maintenance needs. But...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad