• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. Yardbird

2.5L ('98-'01) Thermostat Housing Bolt Torque

I replaced the thermostat in my 2000 2.5L yesterday. I couldn't find a torque spec so I went with the general torque rating for a coarse M6 which is 9 NM or about 7 ft lbs. I thought it was too tight and it might crack the cap but I did a search today and found a spec of 15-20 lb ft on here...
  2. Yardbird

2.5L ('98-'01) Radiator Fitting Problems

I haven't driven my Ranger for years because it needed so much work ($$$$) but I want to get it back on the road before winter. The radiator has a slow leak from the tank/core seam that I tried to stop with some product I don't remember. No go there. I flushed the system Friday and tried to put...
  3. Yardbird

Oil Change Rec Request

I have a 2000 2.5L with 5 speed manual. It needs an oil change and I'm tired of crawling around underneath it. Has anyone pumped the oil out of the dipstick tube? I had a Benz 300E I could do it with because the tube went almost to the bottom of the pan. I haven't tried putting a flexible tube...
  4. Yardbird

M50D Slave Cylinder

The slave cylinder in my 2000 2.5l started leaking last week. It shifts ok as long as there's fluid in the reservoir. I shift quick because it seems to lose pressure if I hold the clutch in and won't shift unless I pump it up. Does anyone know how long I might be able to drive this before it...
  5. Yardbird

2000 2.5l 2WD Manual Question

So the problem with my master cylinder is actually a leaky slave cylinder. Hard to shift when it's out of fluid. So it's clutch replacement time. Question is whether I need to replace/rebuild the trans. It shifts really hard, even with the engine off. It takes a lot of pressure right at the...
  6. Yardbird

2000 2.5l 2WD Clutch Master Problems

I think it's gone. The clutch's been wonky since I bought it last year, mushy, had to jam the pedal into the floor to shift, hard to find the friction point. Today it wouldn't release at all unless I pulled up on the pedal first with my foot. Drove it for a while and it gave way completely...
  7. Yardbird

Differential Capacity Question

I have a 2000, 2.5L, 2WD, 5-speed manual. The door tag says that I have a 7.5-4.10 but the tag is missing off the diff. I opened it to check it and found rust inside so I'm wondering if it's a junkyard replacement. It had been opened before. When I put it back together, I had to add almost 4...
  8. Yardbird

Need Shock Absorber Recommendation

I have a 2000, 2.5l, RWD, manual trans, no lift, XLT, extended cab, front coils. I need to replace the rear shocks. I don't go off road and am usually unloaded. I haul a heavy load maybe twice a month but might do more in the future. I don't tow but might occasionally in the future, using...
  9. Yardbird

Nuts & Bolts

What tools do you use for the fasteners in the engine compartment, SAE or metric?
  10. Yardbird

Fuel Leak

I've noticed a gas smell coming from the engine compartment once in a while the last few weeks. Doesn't seem related to the air temp or the engine temp. Anyone found/fixed a fuel leak under the hood? Are there any common spots or components that leak?
  11. Yardbird

FYI 8 Plug Ignition

Hey guys! Looks like my cold start problem is/was ignition related. I'm in process tuning up the ignition and changed the plugs on the passenger side last weekend. It was 10F this morning and the thing fired right up. Funny thing is, the clip for #1 plug came off the end of the wire when I...
  12. Yardbird

FYI Compression Readings

I checked the compression on my 2000 2.5L. It has 160K miles on it. Test 1 - 4 compression strokes #1 145 PSI #2 145 PSI #3 150 PSI #4 155 PSI Test 2 - 4 compression strokes - Oil added to cylinder #1 180 PSI #2 175 PSI #3 160 PSI #4 170 PSI Test 3 - Maximum pressure - 7 or 8 compression...
  13. Yardbird

XLT Grill

I have a 2000 XLT, Extended Cab, 2.5L and most of the "chrome" is blasted off the plastic grill from all the sand that blows around in Eastern Colorado. I want to replace it with the black honeycomb style. Would it fit and what year/model should I look for in the bone yard to find one?
  14. Yardbird

Bumper Towing

What are safe gross and tongue weight limits for towing with the ball on the bumper of a 2000 Extended Cab XLT, 2.5L? Thanks.
  15. Yardbird

Engine Bay Service Stickers

Looks like I'm going to have to replace the radiator support on the 2000 2.5L XLT I just bought. It's too badly rusted to repair. May be a little compulsive but I'm looking for a source for the stickers that go on the top of it. Thanks.
  16. Yardbird

2.5L Cold Start Problem

Hi. I've been looking at Rangers for the last few weeks and just got a 2000 Extended Cab, Stick Shift, 2WD, with 160K miles, so this is my first post. The truck is okay for its age but I have one issue that I need to deal with ASAP. It starts fine when it's warmed up but when it's cold it...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad