• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. 1988 Ranger still dying at certain temp

Definitely the connections to the brain. When we are feeling a little more brave financially (in case something breaks the rest of the way because we did not leave 'well enough alone') that is the next thing. New brain, new wires.
  2. 1988 Ranger still dying at certain temp

That we will try next for the shutting down at temp issue, thank you!
  3. 1988 Ranger still dying at certain temp

Alright, it's been a few months and the damned beast is behaving fine. I still let it warm up ten minutes before I drive anywhere, so no sudden shutting down when it reaches a certain temp. That issue is for another mechanic. It's also been getting better gas milage with the warm up. Hubby...
  4. 1988 Ranger still dying at certain temp

I'm updating this because if it happens to anyone else they'll be driven as mad as I'm getting. I've found far too many threads everywhere on the net where this happens and then no one concludes it. It's been running fairly well if I just warm it up to a certain temp, when the water starts...
  5. 1988 Ranger still dying at certain temp

@Nez: I wonder because it's been there ever since, why would it act up now? I'll print that out and shove it up under (leaves typo) the mechanic's nose. No AC, unfortunately. It's had a complete radiator change (leaking damned plastic!) and flush this past spring. It tends to get a new...
  6. 1988 Ranger still dying at certain temp

CarQuest, Motorcraft. The last one actually improved matters, but I'm wondering what might have blown out the first 'new one'. I did not think it needed changing, the mechanic did.
  7. 1988 Ranger still dying at certain temp

Again with this thing. We are right back at square one with the mechanic. The truck starts cold, warms up to about where the thermostat would open, and then drops dead. Our only way of driving it now is to sit with my foot on the gas pedal at 1500 rpms (less than that and it dies) until the...
  8. EEC-IV thingie problem

Yes, we changed the TFI and it improved a lot! Actually goes better than it has in years. When it goes.
  9. EEC-IV thingie problem

Both mechanic and auto electrician say it needs a new 'brain'. We changed the TFI a month ago and it solved a lot of the problem, but this is from the code reader thing being plugged in and refusing to work with the EEC module. Also, putting in a new water pump thermostat really helped, but...
  10. EEC-IV thingie problem

Problem: EEC-IV thingie told the plugged in diagnostic testing computer to go to hell. Diagnosis: Alzheimers. The poor old truck just forgets to start, or forgets it's running. Some days are better than others. I no longer call a tow truck, I just pretend to, so we don't look suspicious...
  11. 1988 New fuel everything, dies at a certain temp

Problem solved! I got a motorcraft ignition or TFI module, mechanic put it in, voila, it's been running 'normally' (for an 88) all day. What a relief! He also pulled a batch of wires of the exhaust pipe and tied them up again, but you know what, if it was the wires on the pipe, why did the...
  12. 1988 New fuel everything, dies at a certain temp

This is what we keep telling the mechanic, he is in denial. The problem is hubby is one handed now and says it was a pain to do even with two hands. Our old 77 t-bird had a new one every year, same problem (died on a railroad track!). I will insist on it being changed. ^_^ Hubby says it's...
  13. 1988 New fuel everything, dies at a certain temp

This thing is driving us insane. In the morning, it's cold. Start it up, it runs great. Park for a few hours, try to start it up and go, two blocks later, it just cuts off. Call a tow truck, take it to the shop, the b**tard starts right up and runs great. Hours later, start it up, drive...
  14. 1988 Ford Ranger Starter Relay switch

Can anyone show us the correct way to hook up the wires to the starter relay on the 1988 ford ranger? A photo would be the best help. My hubby had a stroke over a year ago, and is recovering, but can't use his left arm, and has lost all his muscle. He was working on the truck, but a 'helpful'...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad