• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. RangerJoey

Por15 question on underside of truck bed

Hello, I'm trying to restore a 99 XLT with a full bed and currently have the bed off. On the passenger side of the bed, it looks like there were 2 heat shields that rusted off. Since the bed is removed, I was going to coat the underside with POR15. I have an order for the regular preventative...
  2. RangerJoey

Replacing Bottle Jack for 98-11: Emergency Use Only

Hi All, I saw a Torin Big Red 6 Ton bottle jack on Amazon today for $21 and was thinking of picking one up to replace the OEM bottle jack for the 98-11 generation, (maybe applies to others as well). Luckily, I haven't had to use the OEM one, but given its age, I wouldn't mind throwing $20ish to...
  3. RangerJoey

Has anyone looked at their rear sway bar bushings before?

Hi Guys, I was replacing the end link bushings in the rear and figured I'd take off the actual sway bar bushings, (that attach on the axle), while I was at it. Was going smoothly enough until I went to remove the rear sway bar bushings. These things look bulkier than the Moog replacements...
  4. RangerJoey

Replacing Rear Sway Bar & Sway Bar Link Bushings

Hi All, These boards and YouTube are full of great information and so many how-to's. Every now and then, I notice one random thing I can't seem to track down. Pretty sure a how-to on bushings to the rear sway bar is a unicorn. It seems pretty straightforward so I'm guessing that's why there's...
  5. RangerJoey

Why are CV Axles different after 2002?

Hi, I'm looking to buy new axles & bearings to convert from a PVH setup on a 1999 to the live axle setup found on 2001 and later models. I'm going new and finding all sorts of issues. Short of it is this article mentions taking the axle and bearings from a '95-01 Explorer and swapping them in...
  6. RangerJoey

Quick Question About Lift Points (With Pics)

Hi All, I received a small lift system, (QuickJack 7000SLX), and looks like I need the extension kit for this 99 4x4. The extensions give a total reach of 66", (that's outer dimensions so not sure what the actual measurements are center-to-center). I have an old Ford Training DVD and looked up...
  7. RangerJoey

Putting Humpty Back Together: Ques on Rear Bumper and Tow Bar Installation

Hi All, My never-ending project is in need of the final stages and I need to start decluttering the garage. it's a small, two-car garage but with the bed and parts everywhere, I decided I need to start putting some pieces back on that I've already address. Two of them are the rear bumper and...
  8. RangerJoey

Please delete

nvm
  9. RangerJoey

Oh Snap - The Magic Yoo-Hoo Machine: Brown Coolant

Hi All, I'm trying to flush the cooling system on a '99 4.0 OHV and first drained the coolant on a cool engine. Rather disgusting: Nasty stuff. I then removed the thermostat, threw a bottle of Prestone flush + distilled water in there, let it idle with the heat maxed and drained again: Not...
  10. RangerJoey

Upper Thermostat Housing Question: 35mm vs 40mm

Hello, I'm flushing my radiator and figured I'd replace a few parts while drained. I picked up a Stant 195F thermostat, new O-Ring and Gasket. But I'm confused about the upper thermostat housing. On my '99 4.0L, RockAuto, Amazon, and even the part manufacturers themselves, (like Dorman), list...
  11. RangerJoey

'99 to Live Axle Swap: Noob Advice?

Hello, I'm getting prepared for a full front suspension overhaul and in the process, converting from a locking hub system to a front live axle. I've read this article in the tech section but still have some questions. First, I've picked up new upper control arms, lower control arms, inner tie...
  12. RangerJoey

Front Differential: Quick Questions on Drain Plug

Hello, I'm hoping to remove the fill plug and suck out all the old oil in the front differential, ('99 4WD), and have 2 quarts of 80w90 ready to go with one of those fluid pumps. But my concern is the drain plug. Unlike the rear diff or transfer case, I don't see this being a regular...
  13. RangerJoey

Help identifying idle noise (with video)

Hello, This has been going on for sometime now but the truck hasn't been driven in ages. Now I'm looking to move from the suspension onto the actual engine. About to change the oil and I know there's a million other things this 4.0 needs, (plugs, wires, air filter, MAF/Throttle clean, EGR...
  14. RangerJoey

Exhaust Wrap - Is my head stuck up something?

Hi All, I just finished up putting a Gibson SS single exhaust system on my 4.0. Nice low tone that oddly really doesn't make it into the cabinet at all. Hangers and clamps are all "snug" and I was going to tighten things up, but then I had a thought: I wasn't planning on having anything welded...
  15. RangerJoey

Help on Universal Joint Replacement

Hi All, Using the long weekend to finally swap the Universal Joints on this 1999 4WD, (2 Door, Extended Cab). I ordered some MOOG Super Strength Non-Greasable U Joints and got the front one in easily. But the rear one is insane. I'm thinking it's almost impossible. I referenced MOOG's site...
  16. RangerJoey

Rear Brake Adjuster Arm not Tickling Little Star

Hey Guys, Just finished up my first brake change on a shoe/drum setup. Went way better than expected, (shout out to these forums!), but when finalizing everything, I've run into a hiccup: the brake adjuster arm on both sides won't touch the star adjuster. They're each off just a few mm, (I...
  17. RangerJoey

Tie Rods: Looking for advice

Hi All, With the weather finally warming, I'm looking to jump back into my truck and was going to overhaul a lot of the front components, (mostly suspension stuff). But I was also going to replace both the inner and outer tie rods as well. I've seen some videos and it doesn't look too bad...
  18. RangerJoey

Tranny Flush: Part Number Help

Hi All, I'm going to service my '99 4x4 5R55E tranny and just want to be sure I'm getting the correct stuff. First, I wasn't going to do a full flush since there's 120k on the original fluid and I'd prefer to do this procedure annually, (bi-annually?), to introduce new detergents slowly. So...
  19. RangerJoey

New General Tire Question

Hi All, I've been searching through these forums and the wheel tech guide and I think I'm missing something. I'm trying to purchase replacements for my 99 4x4 (stock suspension), and noticed my existing tires, (235/75/16), aren't the recommended ones on certain sites. They seem to suggest I...
  20. RangerJoey

U-Bolt Plate Help

Hi All, I just received a set of new leaf springs, hangers, and shackles and am doing my driver's side for the first time. I also went ahead and picked up new U-Bolts. Trying to reinstall everything, I'm noticing my non-OEM leaf pack that sits on the axle block will not fit through the U-Bolt...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad