• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. 2.3L ('83-'97) Persistent P0125

Hi guys, My truck set a P0125 on a really cold day. I cleared it figuring it was a fluke. It came back, and I noticed that the plastic body of the coolant temp sensor was physically broken. I put a new sensor in, and the code came back again. I noticed that the wires for the coolant temp sensor...
  2. 2.3L ('83-'97) Bucking under load, no power, poor MPG

Hey guys, Hope everyone is well. Having a problem with my 1996 2.3 4x4. Here's what happens: Drives normally for the most part. Idles good. Under moderate to hard acceleration, or when trying to maintain highway speeds, the engine seems to miss. The truck jerks/bucks pretty bad during this. If...
  3. 2.3L ('83-'97) Bucking, misfire on 1996 2.3... Possible bad o2 sensor?

Hi guys, Dealing with a misfire on my 1996 2.3 and could use some help. Symptoms: truck idles fine, drives fine for the most part, but under load/acceleration it will sometimes buck and miss. No fault codes or pending codes. Reading the live data, a few things stuck out. My short term fuel...
  4. Rear drum brake brake lockup

Hi all, I have a 1996 2.3 4x4. This truck has 4wheel ABS that has never given me an issue (no ABS light on, all fuses good, can feel ABS work) but recently it has been really easy to lock up the rear drum brakes. It is very erratic and does not take much pedal pressure to cause lockup. The...
  5. Need some info on TTB ball joint replacement

Hey guys, When I aligned my truck (1996 2.3 4x4) I noticed one of the upper ball joints is quite loose. Once the camber caster bushing was removed, I could move the stud with literally no effort at all. I wasn't able to see any play in the ball joint before disassembly, but the other ball joint...
  6. Need help, advice on small lift and front alignment

Hey guys, I finally got my 96 Ranger 4x4 aligned the best I can without doing any major modifications. Stock suspension, only change is that I used the Ingalls 594 camber caster bushings (extra 1 3/4 degree adjustment) because I needed them to correct my camber, which is the problem that leads...
  7. camber caster bushings

I just finished aligning my Ranger on the stock camber caster bushings. I was able to get 0 degrees camber on both wheels finally (which is how I wanted to set it), but in doing so, I maxed out the stock camber caster bushing on the passenger side. Which means I don't have any caster, correct...
  8. Strange camber changes (TTB) when backing up and going forward?

Hey guys, I'm trying to better align my truck today which has stock ride height, TTB front end (1996). I'm having a very strange issue where the camber changes dramatically when pulling forward, and while backing up. Basically, if I pull forward and stop, I get 2 degrees of negative camber, and...
  9. Do I have symptoms of bad tie rod ends? Is there a better way to check them?

Hey guys, I have a 1996 2.3 Ranger (TTB). I have set the toe myself twice, and the toe held each time for weeks or even a month or more, but then got out of spec again both times. I set the toe to 1/16" toe in each time, and now just looking at the front of the truck I clearly have toe out...
  10. Other temp switch options for volvo fan swap?

Hey guys, I just recently did the Volvo fan swap onto my 96 2.3. Overall I'm very happy with it, but I'm wondering what other options there are for temperature switches besides the BMW and VW switches listed in the tech section here, and here's why: For my 2.3 I thought the lower temperature...
  11. 96 2.3 starts and then quits, intermittently

I just started developing this weird issue where intermittently, my 96 2.3 will start fine, then immediately quit. It always starts right back up after it quits and will only do this start-then-quit thing intermittently. Though as of late this has gotten more frequent. Any ideas what might...
  12. Re studding studded snow tires?

Get ready for some stupid questions about tires from yours truly... I like to run studded snows in the winter here in MA but I know that shops will only stud your tires if they are brand new, never driven on. From what I understand they won't re stud them down the line. I have a set of really...
  13. Testing an EGR valve?

Hey guys, Is there a good or convenient way to test that my EGR valve is working properly? 96 2.3 I'm trying to eliminate potential contributors to spark knock and I would like to test that the valve is working. I get great fuel economy (ranging from 24.5 to 29.8!!) so I feel like the valve is...
  14. Are 93-97 and 98-00 flares interchangeable?

Hey guys, Does anyone know if 93-97 era fender flares will fit 98-00 era front fenders? Assuming both already had holes drilled, are the holes drilled in same locations? Do the front fenders have the same curve at the wheel well? Is it a direct bolt on swap, or are modifications necessary...
  15. Steering wheel wiggle at 55mph+

Ive been working the kinks out of my 96 2.3 4x4 (TTB), vibrated and generally handled pretty bad when I got it. Lot of issues with drive line angles, bushings, mounts, toe etc I've got the truck to the point where it will hold a straight line and not wander at highway speeds on a good road...
  16. Better foglights for 93-97 foglight valence

Hey guys, My 96 Ranger has the plugs and wiring for fog lights but is missing the valence and the actual fog lights. I've sourced a valence, and I'm looking to put fog lights back in the truck, but I'm wondering what options there are for better than OEM fog light housings. Happy to custom...
  17. Energy Suspension polyurethane Trans mount

Hey guys, Got tired of my old sagging rubber transmission mount on my 96 4x4. Even a new OEM one sagged quite quickly (within a few months), both when sagging threw off my driveshaft slope and caused a lot of unnecessary vibration I got a new polyurethane mount from Energy Suspension (part no...
  18. Caring for the 93-97 steering box?

I noticed in my owners manual under lubricants it mentioned some kind of steering gear lubricant or something to that effect. Is there something I should be doing to maintain/care about the steering box? Is it filled with some kind of fluid? Is it covered by the ATF in the power steering system...
  19. Never ending P0443 and P1443

Hey guys, On my 96 2.3, I've been having super persistent Evap system codes P0443 and P1443 and I'm hoping you guys can help me fix this issue since I've tried a lot of things. Here's what I've done so far: I have had both codes off and on for as long as I've had the truck, so about a year...
  20. Question about driveshaft angles, pinion angle, etc

Hey guys, Question for my knowledge and understanding today, regarding driveshaft and pinion angles. I understand that the up/down pinion angle is important and that poor angles can cause shake, bind, etc. But, what about the angle of the driveshaft side to side? Should the centerline of...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad