• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. A couple of nagging questions ....

My 1996 Ranger with air conditioning has a couple of minor things going on that really annoy me and I would like to fix them. 1) The first is the parking brake release. When I pull out the release I can hear the pedal disengage and move but it never completely releases. I always have to pull...
  2. Timing chain cover coolant leak - possible ways to fix?

I've noticed a tiny leak at the typical location (passenger side top visible bolt) and am wondering if there is a way to "fix" it temporarily or indefinitely. Removing the cover and replacing the gasket is a lot of work for an almost 30 year old truck, Paying someone to do it will cost about...
  3. AC seems to be running all the time - ????

I've been watching a little coolant leak (more like a seep) on my 96 Ranger so I've been paying attention to puddles under it after going for a drive. Today, I was running a bottle of Prestone coolant clean through the system so I can do a good flush and fill. To do a good job I had the heat...
  4. Head gasket failure on the 3.0 - how common?

I've got a '96 XLT that has been having the coolant level drop a little every 6 months or so for years. I never had any puddles under the truck or white tracks indicating a leak. This was my dad's truck and he didn't maintain it. But, when I got it 5 years ago I did a flush and fill . I'm...
  5. General Altimax tire blow out - need new tire suggestions

My 96 Ranger XLT has stock aluminum rims and General Altimax 225/70/R14 tires on it. The tires have plenty of tread left and they have about 48.000 miles on them (tires were bought about 4 years ago). I got the truck used and I don't know the size of the OEM tires. All of the tires seem to...
  6. Ranger hood needs anti-flutter foam .... proven solutions for DIY?

I just had a junkyard hood put on my 96 ranger and all of the little blobs of foam between the hood sheetmetal and skeleton below are disbonded and separated. Those little blobs are called anti-flutter foam (just learned that today) and they are there to support the thin sheet metal and also...
  7. 96 Ranger windshield replacement

I had the windshield replaced on my 96 ranger and the installer did a less than acceptable job with the rubber trim gasket. The gasket is a two piece part that is adhered together at the two bottom corners and one of the corners came unglued and separated. Everything else with the install is...
  8. 96 Ford ranger dash insert - sources?

I had my windshield replaced a few days ago and the guys who did the work broke the black dash insert that runs along the bottom of the windsheld on the inside. It is in two pieces with the crack going from the VIN window and all the way across the part. Aside from a junkyard, is there a...
  9. 96 Ranger Windshield Washer Nozzle

Is there a source for left and right windshield washer nozzles? Apparently they are made for one use only. I had some body work done and both of them on my truck are now ruined by the body shop since they had to be removed to do the paint. Pulling them off snaps the clips off. Dorman makes a...
  10. Help - 96 ranger windshield, wiper cowl and hood oblierated by 4" tree branch

I could use some help knowing where to start with this. My 96 ranger doesn't have comprehensive insurance so I have to pay for this myself. Since its a pretty old truck I don't want to spend a fortune. But I don't want to drive around a beater, It was a nice truck yesterday. Now the hood is...
  11. 96 3.0L automatic Ranger slamming into gear from park

My 96 3.0L automatic Ranger is slamming into gear from park. It happens shiftng from park to drive and park to reverse. It doesn't happen all of the time and happens most often(and most likely) if the truck has been parked for a few weeks. Usually shifting the selector through all of the gears...
  12. Synthetic Blend change interval 1996 Ranger

What's a good oil change interval for a 96 3.0L Ranger if you're using a synthetic blend? I put in Mobil 1 blend because that's all I could find today. I'm thinking 5000 miles at least but oil change place (usually do my own) says 3000. Its probably so you come back sooner, but I'm wondering...
  13. 1996 mirror replacement

I put 2006 (OEMpart) left and right mirrors on my 96 and it has greatly improved the visability. I got them at a junkyard and the driver's side mirror jiggles. On a trip to the grocery store its no big deal. On a 4 hour drive on the highway it is extremely annoying. So, I looked into buying...
  14. 1996 (or thereabouts) body fit question

Will the extended cab of a 1996 fit over a 4.0L with the right stuff removed? I'm considering frakensteining two trucks together and want to drop the cab over a frame with the engine and trans already installed.
  15. 96 ranger ignition lock cylinder part

Does anyone know if the newer style ignition lock cylinder fits in a truck that came with the older style? 96 rangers used both styles. I don't know if both parts will fit my ranger. I'd like to use the older style but can't get it quickly in a quality part.
  16. Cant get the ignition cylinder out *** Possible cylinder Short *** 96 Ranger 3.0L AT

I think my ignition key cylinder might be the source of the short I've been having. If its not the source of my short its broken anyhow. It jams, keeps ringing when I remove the key and has been doing it for several years. I thought maybe a piece of metal broke off the cylinder causing those...
  17. Gauge Cluster short 1996 Ranger

I've been troubleshooting a blown #25 fuse for a good while now. My gauge cluster has a short in it and I've spent some time looking for it. The MOV in the circuitry near the odometer has continuity across its terminals so I guess thats my short. I don't have a real good wiring diagram so I...
  18. (96 Ranger 3.0L V6 gauge and light problems

My 96 ranger has been treating me like crap lately. 3 weeks ago it needed a new alternator - fixed it. While I was at it I replaced the serpentine belt. Then 2 weeks ago the new belt started squealing - fixed it. I drove it maybe 150 miles (2 days) and today the speedometer stopped working...
  19. 96 3.0L Serpentine belt squeal - please help me troubleshoot it

I recently replaced my alternator and while I was at it I put on a new Gates belt. I compared both the belt and the alternator pulley with the originals and they were both identical. I get a squeal as soon as the starter stops turning. It squeals for a second and stops almost immediately...
  20. Battery idiot light on - whats the problem - help!

The charging system idiot light went on yesterday. My battery is only a few weeks old and should be good. The truck still starts up fine but if its not charging that wont last. Battery connections are tight and not corroded. Whats the next most likely thing in the charging system that could...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad